Steven Spielberg to Direct ‘Ready Player One’

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I heard the movie was a lot different than the book. I saw it last night and thought it was just ok for the most part. I did like all the nostalgia with the deloreon. That was dope.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
shyt was garbage. The thing that they got right when they did 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' was that they put all the franchise cartoon characters in situations that made contextual sense, like the Daffy/Donald piano face-off.

This was just a ''spot the pop culture character" fest without any proper placement outside of the MechaGodzilla/Gundam fight, where the live action parts somehow felt even less convincing than all the CGI video game stuff. It's so lazy that I am utterly convinced that if Spielberg didn't have access to all the best shyt in Hollywood his current efforts would not be able to surpass the level of a tv-movie.

The only things I enjoyed was Ben Mendelsohn unintentionally playing the part of Vince McMahon and:

the challenge with The Shining parody. Very entertaining for the three minutes before they ruined it with the stupid zombie videogame stuff.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Yeah, like others have said, my favorite scene from the movie had to be

The Shining challenge. I was giggling like a little kid when Wade was flipping through the movie choices and specifically picked that one. Goosebumps seeing Stanley Kubrick's name on the big screen.

Watching this in IMAX the first time really enhanced the experience because those action scenes (more specifically that race scene) had a nikka on the edge of his seat. I was so at awe with what was on the screen that I had to take my 3D glasses off for a second. :noah: I really didn't want to leave the theater after it was over, nikkas were looking at me like "This ain't a Marvel movie breh :gucci:"

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I REALLY enjoyed this.

As a 80's child, there was just so many great references and moments. And I wasn't expecting to get that invested in the characters and story but by the end it really had me. It hit an emotional note at the end that took me by surprise and I even teared up a little. Really awesome and unique storytelling. I think everyone did a great job, some of the kid actors are still a little rough around the edges, but the main two were great.

I'm wondering how this is gonna go over with the new generation. I was the only one who laughed in certain parts, especially
during the whole Shining scene. I felt really old and no one seemed to understand how major Room 237 was. I also don't think many of the kids in the theatre knew who half of the battle avatars were.

Two thumbs up for me, and a 8.5 out of 10 for this genre of movie.

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
I give it a 6/10. The world felt underdeveloped and the rules for the game world wasn't established well. Like at all. I hate lazy sci-fi and casual/fake nerd culture shyt.

Felt like half the movie was Spielberg going "DO YOU REMEMBER CHUN LI? REMEMBER IRON GIANT? REMEMBER GUNDAM?" Like I dig the cameos just because of who I am, but the whole story just felt flimsy. Lack of police virtually the whole movie in that world. Just a lack of so much. Not to mention the relationship building just felt cheap and too fast. I feel like I'm being generous with the score, but I did really enjoy the visuals. Especially enjoyed getting to the first key visually. But I dunno. Guess I need to lower my expectations for blockbusters again.

Will say that the one F bomb allowed in this one was probably the best I remember since First Class. shyt was unexpected and that whole bit from that scene was great. The best parts of this movie are mostly due to nostalgia and seeing those characters like this.

Edit: Maybe I'm being a bit hard. Upon reflection I'm going to give it a 7/10. The side characters were for the most part really charming. The main character's overall arc was just too cheesy, samesy, and predictable. Just the ultimate good guy type shyt. But movie was still decent.

Edit 2: 6.5/10. I cannot in good faith give this a 7. Too much dumb shyt. Spielberg needs to tighten this shyt up. It ain't the 80s anymore

Last edited: