Steve Stoute: "The older generation didn't care about lyrics. That's why Illmatic took 5 years to go Gold. G Rap never got rewarded for lyrics"

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
The very first thing I said in my last post was that you were addressing shyt I wasn't even talking about:russ: Like I already said my responses were about Doom and Doom only. You're the one that tried to force it into 91-2000 trying to be right for no reason:mjlol: The comprehension issues ain't on this side breh

Then to close your post out asking me a bad faith hypothetical like "Did everybody bump Doom between 91 and 2000?" Again having nothing to do with what my last two posts are addressing directly

Come on breh:mjlol:

The other breh commented on the post that I originally stated about Doom and understood everything I was stating but you don't
Ok. Breh.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
give him some grace, breh.

People will argue their viewpoint not realizing folks dont share it.

It's like I was saying in that Meccapolis thread. I grew up in the deep deep rural south. I KNOW what was popular outside of NY/Cali cause the radio and word of mouth is pretty much all we had. Cousins come in from different areas bringing and talking about what was the most popular shyt where they were. My moms bookkeeping the local juke joints, my uncle being a DJ. My older sisters throwing wild parties on weekends and buying all the Word Ups and Tiger Beats.

Yeah, DOOM was/is popular, but he trying to tell you he is because of some shyt you never even seen and he frustrated cause you dont get it. :mjlol:

Ok. Breh.
I gotcha you.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The other breh commented on the post that I originally stated about Doom and understood everything I was stating but you don't
Ok. Breh.
Breh I don't care about what y'all were discussing:mjlol: Not once, nor do I ever intend to discuss 91-2000 when my posts were strictly about Doom:mjlol:

My posts, in initial response to him, are about MF Doom being a very popular rapper despite wherever underground rap fans try to place him. That's it. Nothing else

The fact that nikkas try to put Doom in this hardcore backpack underground box when he has more monthly streams than most drill rappers is hilarious:mjlol: the nikka streams more than Wu Tang:dead:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
and yeah, I don't even remember if I posted already

but "old heads aint care about lyrics" is a fukking lie,

the BIGGEST indication of this is how "old heads" disparaged when the Soulja Boys and D4Ls blew up.

"THEY JUST HAVING FUN OUTCHEA :bryan::bryan::bryan:"

look where that dumb shyt got us. :childplease:
This post should be pinned.

I also remember someone in XXL asking why Jeezy got a pass for being wack.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
give him some grace, breh.

People will argue their viewpoint not realizing folks dont share it.

Yeah, DOOM was/is popular, but he trying to tell you he is because of some shyt you never even seen and he frustrated cause you dont get it. :mjlol:
But I addressed all this:russ: I started with the fact that I've had many a discussion about how weirdly gate kept Doom is by hip hop heads who are insulated from certain things. I acknowledged that Doom is very popular and got popular in a very unorthodox way

What Doom/Adult Swim was doing was a direct precursor to the direct upload/blog era. That's why I understand why 90s radio/magazine/message board heads don't know how popular Doom is across different cultures, with women, and among younger people

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Breh I don't care about what y'all were discussing:mjlol: Not once, nor do I ever intend to discuss 91-2000 when my posts were strictly about Doom:mjlol:

My posts, in initial response to him, are about MF Doom being a very popular rapper despite wherever underground rap fans try to place him. That's it. Nothing else

The fact that nikkas try to put Doom in this hardcore backpack underground box when he has more monthly streams than most drill rappers is hilarious:mjlol: the nikka streams more than Wu Tang:dead:

I'll tell you this, if someone had 1 million dollars on the table to name 3 songs or 2 songs by Doom, I couldn't do it.

Doom ain't hitting in these streets like you think he is. I never met one person from off the internet that said, man I just downloaded or coped that new Doom in any of the years you named

You can take that how you wanna

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
For cat talking about the labels should have pushed your favorite lyricist...

Let's look at Illmatic

It's not like Columbia didn't try.

Illmatic has 4 singles - more than half the album if you include Half Time - which was also a single.

1) It ain't hard to tell - It had a damn Michael Jackson sample and a video

And it had dope a remix....that nobody played.

2) Life's a Beach - no video

But I've got the 12".

Most West Coastalicious thing on the record - zero airtime.

3) The World Is Yours

Even the remix had a video

4) One Love

And Columbia had 5 mics in the source.

So let's look at Columbia promoting a lyricist, because he was a lyricist
  • Damn near 5 singles
  • 4 Videos
  • Instant Classic from The Source
What more could they have done?

How else could they have pushed it?

No one was buying lyrics for lyrics sake.

Meanwhile, Biggie a lyricist, had to take the Radio approach with Mtume's Juicy Fruit (an already uber popular song reworked into Juicy, much like Sugar Hill Gang reworked Chic's Good Times)

And he goes platinum in 2 months.

As much as this board likes to talk about "industry plants" and "manufacturing hits and artists", and all that type of stuff - the labels can't MAKE anything.

Believe me. I've been privy to those meetings. Been on the phone with reps, in person with A&R's, talked to hella artists.

You know they put 2 Million Dollars into Lil Zane

Stole Pac's flow
Got the industry writers and producers.

2 MILLION DOLLARS

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here bro

It's well known that Nas has never been a true mainstream artist, but still exists in that realm. The game being how it was, and the culture being what it was, allowed Nas to become a rap star

There was a general seal of quality for artists on majors back then. They generally were good at rapping. It wasn't purely about image or "vibes". The audience was conditioned to appreciate a lyrical approach to this music

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eh, I’m :flabbynsick: flabby and sick by the Coli standards and born and raised in NC. My folks and good portion of my fam in general had cable. So I heard songs from the artist from all over getting play on Rap City and MTV. I heard folks bump a lot songs from up north, west coast, and south rappers out of their cars and on their radios in real time in 90’s.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

my bad, fam. I shoulda read through before responding. :francis:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I remember playing a Beatnuts album (Musical Massacre) for my sister and her friends and they loved it. This was back in like 00 and we were all like 14-16 years old

It was party music and not very lyrical, but the music was drenched in hip-hop culture and traditions

The beats were creative and different, but also rooted in tradition

Imagine playing that for a bunch of teenage girls today? Lmao

We lost the plot y'all

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I remember playing a Beatnuts album (Musical Massacre) for my sister and her friends and they loved it. This was back in like 00 and we were all like 14-16 years old

It was party music and not very lyrical, but the music was drenched in hip-hop culture and traditions

The beats were creative and different, but also rooted in tradition

Imagine playing that for a bunch of teenage girls today? Lmao

We lost the plot y'all

I remember "I Love It" playing in the background of a get-together

Ju was like "I just boned ya bytch. Now she making me tuna fish"

My ex was like "yeahhh :shaq:"

shoulda seen it as a red flag :to:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I remember "I Love It" playing in the background of a get-together

Ju was like "I just boned ya bytch. Now she making me tuna fish"

My ex was like "yeahhh :shaq:"

shoulda seen it as a red flag :to:
Loud Records was the best the best theeee best

They were getting mainstream looks for Pun, Beatnuts, Three 6 and so many others

Best label ever IMO

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll tell you this, if someone had 1 million dollars on the table to name 3 songs or 2 songs by Doom, I couldn't do it. Doom ain't hitting in these streets like you think he is. I never met one person from off the internet that said, man I just downloaded or coped that new Doom in any of the years you named You can take that how you wanna
You keep making this about yourself:dahell:. You can't name a Doom song. Ok?:dahell:

I never said Doom was hitting in the streets. I named multiple times what Doom's demographics are you just ain't reading:mjlol:

And I love that you keep ignoring that he gets 9 million listens a month

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For cat talking about the labels should have pushed your favorite lyricist...

Let's look at Illmatic

It's not like Columbia didn't try.

Illmatic has 4 singles - more than half the album if you include Half Time - which was also a single.

1) It ain't hard to tell - It had a damn Michael Jackson sample and a video

And it had dope a remix....that nobody played.

2) Life's a Beach - no video

But I've got the 12".

Most West Coastalicious thing on the record - zero airtime.

3) The World Is Yours

Even the remix had a video

4) One Love

And Columbia had 5 mics in the source.

So let's look at Columbia promoting a lyricist, because he was a lyricist
  • Damn near 5 singles
  • 4 Videos
  • Instant Classic from The Source
What more could they have done?

How else could they have pushed it?

No one was buying lyrics for lyrics sake.

Meanwhile, Biggie a lyricist, had to take the Radio approach with Mtume's Juicy Fruit (an already uber popular song reworked into Juicy, much like Sugar Hill Gang reworked Chic's Good Times)

And he goes platinum in 2 months.

As much as this board likes to talk about "industry plants" and "manufacturing hits and artists", and all that type of stuff - the labels can't MAKE anything.

Believe me. I've been privy to those meetings. Been on the phone with reps, in person with A&R's, talked to hella artists.

You know they put 2 Million Dollars into Lil Zane

Stole Pac's flow
Got the industry writers and producers.

2 MILLION DOLLARS

This looks just like the posts I make in those "The powers that be pushed negative hip hop" threads when nikkas complain about Drill rappers:russ:

Nikkas will talk all day about the government pushing negative rap, but act like these same labels weren't pushing the fukk out of Joey Badass and still failing to push Cordae

This is why Stoute is ultimately right. Nikkas are being pedantic about the wording but at the end of the day nikkas listen to what they want to hear . You can put the whole bank behind somebody but the music itself still has a job to do

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
You keep making this about yourself:dahell:. You can't name a Doom song. Ok?:dahell:

I never said Doom was hitting in the streets. I named multiple times what Doom's demographics are you just ain't reading:mjlol:

And I love that you keep ignoring that he gets 9 million listens a month

Ok.

Is what Stout is saying correct?