e8cc65b58cd9f781b4a151ca70b7758d.gif

giphy.gif
Man I'm going to sleep

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It already made $80 million between Friday and Thursday. It might break the Deadpool record of $132 million if it gets a strong Saturday/ decent Sunday showing. I didn't expect it to be that good at the box office.
A strong legacy and no competition pretty much carried this movie on its back. I always figured it was going to do numbers but they ended up picking the perfect slot to release it too.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
My thoughts:

The movie overall was a success and an improvement from the first half of the original. However, it had its flaws. Muschietti relied on CGI way too much. Pennywise was at his best when he was allowed to talk. The whole CGI stuff we saw in the trailers (think Pennywise charging at Bill down in the basement) ran counter to what's in the book (and in the first adaptation) where Pennywise was more apt to stalk his prey. That's why the Georgie scene in both films (and book) work so well.

Wasn't a fan at all of the whole Dreamcatcher-style/lamprey monster-teeth thing they had going with Pennywise.

97557bdc777155e870f9ba9ff9d24ec8--dreamcatcher-horror-movies.jpg

I know this shyt is pure fiction, but it was too fake, and took away from the shock of them showing him kill Georgie on screen.

Another gripe is it didn't really focus on the fact that Pennywise attacks based on what your greatest fears are. His scare tactics seemed more general in nature. It turns Pennywise into a more generic monster rather than the GOAT that he is. This also makes the movie feel somewhat rushed (Bowers is in there trying to carve up Ben with no explanation whatsoever). Like someone else mentioned, you don't see the progression from bully to psycho with him...he's just a nutcase from the jump. As for Pennywise, you're left sitting there wondering why he isn't just dropping these kids the way he's dropping others so easily.

This film suffered by losing Fukunaga. His original script (it's out there on the interwebs if you haven't read it) had me like :gladbron: Muschetti followed some aspects of it, but not enough of it.

That's the bad...now the good.

Casting was well done. This Beverly was much better than the OG Beverly. Mike, Ben and Richie are also improvements over their earlier counterparts. I think Stan, Eddie and Bill were played better by the OGs, but not by much. This cast of kids all played off each other very well. Dropping mama jokes, sexual innuendo, casual F-bombs. And we all have a better appreciation of Hamburger Helper after this film.

Skarsgard was great as Pennywise. He could go toe-to-toe with Curry. I hope he gets more real dialogue in the second film. His best work was the simple cameos you'd see of him in the background like
Waving the body part at Mike :sadcam:
, or when he's addressing a kid directly
Talking to Eddie behind the tower of balllons
. Basically, he needs to focus more on being creepy rather than full on jump-scary in the second flick.

Overall, this movie was never going to FULLY live up to the hype of 9 years of false-starts, but this was a great start to showcasing the full wrath of Pennywise and the type of fukkery he can unleash. I don't think we'll be able to truly judge this adaptation until we see Chapter 2. I think the studio will pony up more cash/resources as well given the resounding box office success this flick will have.

Rating: :pennywise::pennywise::pennywise::pennywise::scustpennywise: (4/5 happy Pennywises)

Last edited:

Pammy91

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Never you mind....
I loved this movie.I did not expect to cry as much as I did :wow: It wasn't that scary except for a couple of times but I won't hold that against it. Seeing a good movie >>> being scared.

Richie was hilarious. Crazy that's the same kid from Stranger Things:heh: Those bullies and Bev's scumbag dad were pissing me off but that's what they're supposed to do.

Bill Skarsgard was great but I still prefer Tim Curry. I'm curious about who they're going to cast as the adult versions in chapter 2 . The girl that plays Bev looks like a young Amy Adams.

The scene where they're beating Pennywise' ass is probably one of my favorite movie fights of all time. You can feel their anger and desperation. It was wonderfully shot. "Now I have to kill this fukking clown" I love Richie

Last edited:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My thoughts:

The movie overall was a success and an improvement from the first half of the original. However, it had its flaws. Muschietti relied on CGI way too much. Pennywise was at his best when he was allowed to talk. The whole CGI stuff we saw in the trailers (think Pennywise charging at Bill down in the basement) ran counter to what's in the book (and in the first adaptation) where Pennywise was more apt to stalk his prey. That's why the Georgie scene in both films (and book) work so well.

Wasn't a fan at all of the whole Dreamcatcher-style/lamprey monster-teeth thing they had going with Pennywise.

97557bdc777155e870f9ba9ff9d24ec8--dreamcatcher-horror-movies.jpg

I know this shyt is pure fiction, but it was too fake, and took away from the shock of them showing him kill Georgie on screen.

Another gripe is it didn't really focus on the fact that Pennywise attacks based on what your greatest fears are. His scare tactics seemed more general in nature. It turns Pennywise into a more generic monster rather than the GOAT that he is. This also makes the movie feel somewhat rushed (Bowers is in there trying to carve up Ben with no explanation whatsoever). Like someone else mentioned, you don't see the progression from bully to psycho with him...he's just a nutcase from the jump. As for Pennywise, you're left sitting there wondering why he isn't just dropping these kids the way he's dropping others so easily.

This film suffered by losing Fukunaga. His original script (it's out there on the interwebs if you haven't read it) had me like :gladbron: Muschetti followed some aspects of it, but not enough of it.

That's the bad...now the good.

Casting was well done. This Beverly was much better than the OG Beverly. Mike, Ben and Richie are also improvements over their earlier counterparts. I think Stan, Eddie and Bill were played better by the OGs, but not by much. This cast of kids all played off each other very well. Dropping mama jokes, sexual innuendo, casual F-bombs. And we all have a better appreciation of Hamburger Helper after this film.

Skasgard was great as Pennywise. He could go toe-to-toe with Curry. I hope he gets more real dialogue in the second film. His best work was the simple cameos you'd see of him in the background like
Waving the body part at Mike :sadcam:
, or when he's addressing a kid directly
Talking to Eddie behind the tower of balllons
. Basically, he needs to focus more on being creepy rather than full on jump-scary in the second flick.

Overall, this movie was never going to FULLY live up to the hype of 9 years of false-starts, but this was a great start to showcasing the full wrath of Pennywise and the type of fukkery he can unleash. I don't think we'll be able to truly judge this adaptation until we see Chapter 2. I think the studio will pony up more cash/resources as well given the resounding box office success this flick will have.

Rating: :pennywise::pennywise::pennywise::pennywise::scustpennywise: (4/5 happy Pennywises)
There's only so much you can do in a 2 hour film. Sacrifices have to be made. They don't have enough room that a book or even a mini series can provide.

I loved it for the most part. I thought they did well. My only gripes really was that a lot of the early scares were pretty uninspired, but everything else from the cast, score, atmosphere were so that it didn't even matter.

And we will see more from Pennywise in the sequel. As a book reader, He is more prominent and talkative in the Adult section.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the horror isn't lackluster..

if anyone is naive enough to actually expect to feel the same type of fear they felt as a 6 year old child while watching Curry's IT, as a 30+ year old man now... they're an idiot..

I mean no, the movie didn't scare me. I jumped a couple times, that's about it. Didn't expect it to.. Nothing on a fukkin TV screen is scaring me at this age. Come on...

that doesn't take away from it being a great movie..
It still does surprise me that people still expect to be scared by fictionalized beasts that they damn well know don't actually or can exist. :russ:

The only character that has scared me as a grown adult is probably Chris Partlow from The Wire.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
Saw It last night with a packed crowd. The garage scene had everybody tripping in the theatre. :merchant:I'd give it an 8/10 or an 8.5 movie definitely was at its best with the kids and how the cinematography invoked a lot of creepy and unsettling imagery. There were definitely scenes that gave me the :sadcam::whoa: while watching.
I wish they gave Pennywise more lines of dialogue because that's where he was the most effective
This real enough for you Eddie :huhldup:
to me but I know PART 2 he's more talkative since he's attacking adults instead of kids.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I liked it. It was definitely a lot better than I anticipated it being. Even Skaarsgard's Pennywise was good.
I did have some issues though.
Mike was made into an almost non-entity by taking away his being the one with the interest and books on Old Derry and giving that to Ben.
Taking Ben's building and construction stuff and handing that off to Bill was odd too.
Also didn't like that they took away the slingshot+silver from the story removed Beverly's agency a bit. They basically made Beverly become Bill's wife Audra by having her be abducted by Pennywise at the end of the movie which made zero sense to me.
And killing Henry Bowers removes a large part of the second half of the story from the canvas.