Stephen King's IT (Time to Float) - Official Thread

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
After seeing it, I am kind of surprised to see the very positive reviews from a few here, and notably critics from NY Times, and a few more, I generally agree with. I thought the direction, as I assumed (given his previous work) was really conventional, (bland, boring, uninspired work too) the setting never felt either real enough to set a mood, or like some sort of fever dream, horror come to life. It just felt like a movie set. There is a lot of talk about it being a "Stand By Me", but this is way too obvious and unsubtle for that, though bits and pieces work here and there.

The horror isn't really creepy or scary, or unnerving, though a few images worked well in the moment. I doubt I'll think much of this movie ever again, I did see the original when I was probably 15, and I read the novel (during a 90 day in county) when I was 19, which I thought was one of King's best works. This all felt like it was just hitting the marks, and I mostly blame the director. It all feels like set piece after set piece, with no momentum or build of real tension or fear.

And I keep reading that the kids "real horrors" were the real highlight, that material was mostly so on the nose, so cliched, so much a checked box, (the Dad passed out in the front of the tv) the neurotic Mom, the bully, Henry seemed so unhinged and manic, as to not be really scary, or believable at all. There is no real message about bullying or it's causes, and effects. There is no real discussion of sexual abuse, or child objectification.

I may be too old for the material at 31, and I assuredly envisioned a much different movie under Fukubuagkas' direction, like a beautiful, grotesque, East Coast gothic, that looks like "True Detective", or "Beasts of No Nation", this felt flat, and bland, very by the book and uninspired.

Not to mention the real surprise, which logistically, I figured out at some mid point.

Last edited:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
After seeing it, I am kind of surprised to see the very positive reviews from a few here, and notably many critics from NY Times, and a few more, I generally agree with. I thought the direction, as I assumed (given his previous work) was really conventional, the setting never felt either real enough to set a mood, or like some sort of fever dream, horror come to life. It just felt like a movie set. There is a lot of talk about it being a "Stand By Me", but this is way too obvious and unsubtle for that, though bits and pieces work here and there.

The horror isn't really creepy or scary, or unnerving, though a few images worked well in the moment. I doubt I'll think much of this movie ever again, I did see the original when I was probably 15, and I read the novel (during a 90 day in county) when I was 19, which I thought was one of King's best works. This all felt like it was just hitting the marks, and I mostly blame the director. It all feels like set piece after set piece, with no momentum or build of real tension or fear.

And I keep reading that the kids "real horrors" were the real highlight, that material was mostly so on the nose, so cliched, so much a checked box, (the Dad passed out in the front of the tv) the neurotic Mom, the bully, Henry seemed so unhinged and manic, as to not be really scary, or believable at all. There is no real message about bullying or it's causes, and effects. There is no real discussion of sexual abuse, or child objectification.

I may be too old for the material at 31, and I assuredly envisioned a much different movie under Fukubuagkas' direction, like a beautiful, grotesque, East Coast gothic, that looks like "True Detective", or "Beasts of No Nation", this felt flat, and bland, very by the book and uninspired.

Not to mention the real surprise, which logistically, I figured out at some mid point.

Agreed 100%. Just watched it and was surprised how little substance there was... set piece after set piece with no memorable characters whatsoever. The performances were mostly decent but the material was generic as fukk

King Ka$h

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Anything and Everything
I loved this,Richie was fukkin great:mjlol:
"You punched me in the face,took me to a crackhouse....and now I gotta kill this fukkin clown:martin:"

I legit wanted to punch Bill at times,I sympathized with him wanting to find Georgie....but c'mon man:beli:

Henry Bowers getting that work was:banderas:

Pennywise was proper creepy.Those google eyes though.:wtf:
"GAZEBOS:pacspit:"

The floating tower of dead kids:mjcry:

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
just saw it, movie was almost ruined by a group of white people who had to sit right beside me. they sat there and talked through the whole fukking thing. hope their house burns down with them in it tonight. apparently, i can never go to the movies again unless it's at 10 in the goddamn morning bc people don't know how to fukking act in public.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Thought was going to be trash going in, was really surprised at how good it was. I really thought they did a good job. Would recommend

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good film brehs, i wouldn't consider this horror though.

Richie was killing me with the bars he was dropping :mjlol:

Pennywise was just terrifying these kids because he was bored & shyt :mjgrin:

Salute to that young Muhammad Ali kid :salute:

Film came off to me as a adult version of The Goonies, good flick though 8/10 :obama:

Thats what me and my cousin said. Shyt is an R rated goonies and i loved it. I also got a lil nostalgic at the theater tonight watching the young teens standing around plotting on how to sneak into IT

:mjcry:

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
I rarely watch horror movies(it ain't my genre) but DAMN that was a horror movie on all accounts. I never seen the original one at all my pops(who's scared of clowns) was giving me the backstory on alot of the characters which I found to be pretty dope! Some chick legit power walked out the theater during the garage scene:wow:. That basement seen was super sadistic but yeah I would definitely check it out again. I got to ask though what made the original one so great in many people's eyes

Daps
Reppin
NULL
just got out of the theater...movie was lit.

not as scary as the original but damn near close. one lady walked out... the intense scenes would have to be when they went inside the house the first time. man that room full of clowns literally gave me goosebumps.

and that basement scene..OMG