Stephen King's IT (Time to Float) - Official Thread

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
After seeing it, I am kind of surprised to see the very positive reviews from a few here, and notably many critics from NY Times, and a few more, I generally agree with. I thought the direction, as I assumed (given his previous work) was really conventional, the setting never felt either real enough to set a mood, or like some sort of fever dream, horror come to life. It just felt like a movie set. There is a lot of talk about it being a "Stand By Me", but this is way too obvious and unsubtle for that, though bits and pieces work here and there.

The horror isn't really creepy or scary, or unnerving, though a few images worked well in the moment. I doubt I'll think much of this movie ever again, I did see the original when I was probably 15, and I read the novel (during a 90 day in county) when I was 19, which I thought was one of King's best works. This all felt like it was just hitting the marks, and I mostly blame the director. It all feels like set piece after set piece, with no momentum or build of real tension or fear.

And I keep reading that the kids "real horrors" were the real highlight, that material was mostly so on the nose, so cliched, so much a checked box, (the Dad passed out in the front of the tv) the neurotic Mom, the bully, Henry seemed so unhinged and manic, as to not be really scary, or believable at all. There is no real message about bullying or it's causes, and effects. There is no real discussion of sexual abuse, or child objectification.

I may be too old for the material at 31, and I assuredly envisioned a much different movie under Fukubuagkas' direction, like a beautiful, grotesque, East Coast gothic, that looks like "True Detective", or "Beasts of No Nation", this felt flat, and bland, very by the book and uninspired.

Not to mention the real surprise, which logistically, I figured out at some mid point.

I agree. It felt very cookie-cutter of modern day horror films. The kids were all good and their chemistry was excellent...well, except for you-know-who, but he drives Chapter 2, so...But it shouldn't play like The Goonies meets Jason. The director really didn't d a great job of creating or integrating the atmosphere of Derry. There are some excellent scenes of their lives, but not enough of it.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
I rarely watch horror movies(it ain't my genre) but DAMN that was a horror movie on all accounts. I never seen the original one at all my pops(who's scared of clowns) was giving me the backstory on alot of the characters which I found to be pretty dope! Some chick legit power walked out the theater during the garage scene:wow:. That basement seen was super sadistic but yeah I would definitely check it out again. I got to ask though what made the original one so great in many people's eyes

Tim currys performance for one

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin