Starfield (XSX, PC) 9.1.23

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The only difference between Starfield on the S and X is 1440p vs 2160p. Unless your boy is gaming 5 inches away from his TV, he'll hardly notice the difference.

The alternative, streaming via the cloud is gonna have terrible fidelity, infrequent crashes, motion stutters, etc. I love gamepass and the cloud but the technology isn't there yet for the cloud experience to even come close to the install.

My little brother is a hardcore gamer but he isn't a dikkhead about graphics and has enjoyed his series s since he got it at launch. You did well.
Experience says it won't be the ONLY difference. Also, the internal resoultion is lower, so the upscaling will likely cause artifacts, especially if he has a 4K set, because the scaler will have even more work to do. The S is a piece of shyt.

If you can't tell the difference unless you're 5 inches away, you're probably used to shyt TVs or your vision isn't the best. Here in (Large) OLED Gang, it's real.

Bathing Ape

BAPE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
JPN
What I'm tired of is the built in excuses. This game will run at 60fps...on a PC. Which will also be the place where this game sells the most.

The first two next gen only games from Microsoft Bethesda run at 30fps on the world's most powerful console.
You comparing a 500 dollar console to a 1000+ dollar pc bro? And expect them to be the same? Where’s the excuse?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You comparing a 500 dollar console to a $2000+ dollar pc bro? And expect them to be the same? Where’s the excuse?
FTFY

If you want to build a starfield 4K/60fps pc you gone spend 2K minimum.

The fact that people with a $250 machine can play this game is an accomplishment in itself.

BBG

Superstar
Daps
FTFY

If you want to build a starfield 4K/60fps pc you gone spend 2K minimum.

The fact that people with a $250 machine can play this game is an accomplishment in itself.
I hear you, I just think that the fps boys are upset because if series s can do 1440/30, we should be allowed to play 1440/60. If they felt 1440p isn't good enough, why are they allowing it on series s? Unless they just couldn't figure out a way to make it work, I too am a little frustrated that we couldn't get a performance mode that would sacrifice 4k for frames. The showcase ended up forcing me to bend the knee, but I still feel there are legitimate fps gripes that these videos explaining that games aren't like other games (duh) don't quite clear up.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I hear you, I just think that the fps boys are upset because if series s can do 1440/30, we should be allowed to play 1440/60. If they felt 1440p isn't good enough, why are they allowing it on series s? Unless they just couldn't figure out a way to make it work, I too am a little frustrated that we couldn't get a performance mode that would sacrifice 4k for frames. The showcase ended up forcing me to bend the knee, but I still feel there are legitimate fps gripes that these videos explaining that games aren't like other games (duh) don't quite clear up.

They mention this in the digital foundry video above. The bottleneck is moreso at the CPU level than the GPU. This is a game where you can drop any item in your inventory and it tracks that item’s physics and specific location, while the moons/planets are literally orbiting around you while you play. They said even if Bethesda dropped the resolution to 720p, it’s not gonna help the framerate that much because there’s so many different systems running at once during gameplay

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The FPS boys don’t understand how things work.

It’s not a linear trade off between Resolution and Framerate. Dropping the framerate to even less than 1080p won’t make the game be able to hold a 60fps mode.

We see this in other recent “next gen only games”

Jedi survivor, Forespoken, and FF16 “performance mode” renders at less than 1080p and the framerates almost never hold anywhere near 60 and they drop to sub 30 at times. Those games have a “performance mode” but in practice it’s not a good experience.

Those games aren’t even attempting to do a fraction of what starfield is doing when it comes to physics/A.I/Simulation/lighting/ect. They “could” throw a performance mode out to shut up the noise, but it would be wildly inconsistent, and probably not worth anyones time. Did you watch the digital foundry video where they compared it to start citizen? It’s very informative if you care enough to take the 15 minutes to check it out.

From a developer standpoint it makes the most sense to make a stable 4k/30fps mode the best it can be, than it does to have a raggedy ass “performance mode” just to appease forum dudes on the internet.

Going forward, people playing on consoles are gonna have to accept 30fps as they always have :manny:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

It’s not a linear trade off between Resolution and Framerate. Dropping the framerate to even less than 1080p won’t make the game be able to hold a 60fps mode.

We see this in other recent “next gen only games”

Jedi survivor, Forespoken, and FF16 “performance mode” renders at less than 1080p and the framerates almost never hold anywhere near 60 and they drop to sub 30 at times. Those games have a “performance mode” but in practice it’s not a good experience.

Those games aren’t even attempting to do a fraction of what starfield is doing when it comes to physics/A.I/Simulation/lighting/ect. They “could” throw a performance mode out to shut up the noise, but it would be wildly inconsistent, and probably not worth anyones time. Did you watch the digital foundry video where they compared it to start citizen? It’s very informative if you care enough to take the 15 minutes to check it out.

From a developer standpoint it makes the most sense to make a stable 4k/30fps mode the best it can be, than it does to have a raggedy ass “performance mode” just to appease forum dudes on the internet.

Going forward, people playing on consoles are gonna have to accept 30fps as they always have :manny:
To be fair, lighting was sacrificed as well. It's kinda ass in some places, but the sacrificehad to be made. I'm hoping there's a ray tracing mod/patch in the future

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
To be fair, lighting was sacrificed as well. It's kinda ass in some places, but the sacrificehad to be made. I'm hoping there's a ray tracing mod/patch in the future
Not really. They have accurate real time lighting based on the position of multiple “suns” or light sources

Starfield's lighting will adapt to the planet you're on

None of the aforementioned games are even attempting simulation like this. I don’t even think they have day/night cycles.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

You keep acting like other things can't be adjusted in tandem. Shadow, lighting, fog reflection quality. Render distance. Particle effects. I know everyone in masturbating to all these entwined systems but those aren't engaged for all thousand planets at the same time.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You keep acting like other things can't be adjusted in tandem. Shadow, lighting, fog reflection quality. Render distance. Particle effects. I know everyone in masturbating to all these entwined systems but those aren't engaged for all thousand planets at the same time.
I’m not acting like anything. The devs are presenting the game the best they can based on their vision of what they want their world to be.

You guys keep talking about graphics stuff. No amount of turning that stuff off will make the game run at a stable 60fps on series X.

The series S will undoubtedly have lots of that stuff turned off.

If it was as simple as turning that stuff off they already have the series S version they could enable on the X.

It’s not that simple. There’s lots of advanced CPU shyt going on. No amount of reducing the GPU load will make the game run at a stable 60fps.

edit: and next time read and respond to my entire post, as i gave context and explanation throughout.

you taking the first couple sentences and pretending to not see the remaining context is not conducive to productive discourse.

Last edited:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
It's going to be hilarious once they patch in a 60 FPS performance mode post launch and the excuses and Super-Manning in these videos fades into oblivion. All of sudden, everyone is going to have amnesia.

"It was always possible...."
3kkpKFo.gif

:dead: