Starfield (XSX, PC) 9.1.23

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You can get one from the Eklund Stroud quest

hmm I think I’m gonna redo that mission but this time push them to make a top of the line ship…I had them design a more economical/budget-friendly ship but that shyt was ass so I sold it when the company gifted me one

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’ve played Skyrim fallout new Vegas, fallout 4 , ME and ofcourse this. My least favorite of those games is fallout new Vegas and the outer worlds.

The outer worlds is just boring to me, the world isn’t as interesting and I didn’t have any real memorable moments while playing. I did finish it but it was - 6-7 game for me. It’s no where near the fun of this game.

I haven’t played this but “everyone” has recommended it to me (it’s too outdated for me to jump into) but you might be the first person that didn’t tell me they outright loved the game…as for outer worlds, my expectations are tempered…I think I played until the first city/settlement…just looking for a relatively quick, streamlined gaming experience/space story…worst case scenario I can just bail on it again…doesn’t cost me anything extra assuming it’s still on game pass…actually I think I might’ve even bought the game when it dropped lol

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I stopped at combat worse than skyrim :pachaha:
Bro I literally play like a damn Mandalorian in this game with the jetpack and shyt. Dropping mines and grenades from like 100 feet in the air, sniping nikkas in mid air, and then jet packing off. I'll be on foot using my katana and a turret mounted up on a pillar up will start shooting me and I'll jetpack up mid stride slice it and kill it and keep moving. Don't even get me started when you unlock the power slide and the ability to onock people back when taking off with your jet pack. Damn near anything you can do in Doom(and low key Dishonored as well) you can do in this game... once you level up and unlock the skills to do it, it doesn't just give it to you.

I have my critiques about this game but the combat as to how it functions isn't one of them, this combat is fantastically designed. Now the enemies themselves can use a little improvement, but that isn't a demerit against the combat itself and more the enemy design.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
It's kind of hard to explain. This feels more like a survival game than Morrowind in this area.

When you do eventually get into the 'exploration' outside of clicking on the 'here's an icon on your map that says a thing is here' fast travel option, it's amounts to clicking on a planet, cutscene, menu, hold a button, click on a different planet, cutscene..... it's literally the most boring thing ever. Let's say you do find a planet worth landing on. Cool, drop in and find the same reused abandoned mining/research stations over and over again, filled with 1 of 3 generic enemy factions, and maybe you'll get a gun out of it? :francis:

I don't want No Man's Sky style empty planets and seamless travel but there has to be something? Make fuel more of a factor, make supplies a factor, make anything more than 'your grav drive isn't quite big enough to reach that yet' a factor. Make planet exploration actually mean something, give me specific types of planets to seek out, give me experiments or research to conduct on specific planets you know... :coffee:
Someone has clearly never checked Constellations mission board...

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im in the same boat. This is the least enjoyable Bethesda game for me. Im also a space nerd and an oblivion, skyrim, fallout 3 lover.

I have just forced myself to admit this game is pretty mid with mid systems at almost every level.

I think the single biggest thing that kills the bethesda magic is the lack of wandering and running into cool stuff. There is so much menu'ing and traveling it's just meh.

I think they would have been better served to make 5 or 6 really fleshed out biomes to explore instead of 1000 boring rock planets with the same outposts.

Yeah, the bolded sums up a lot of the game for me too. The game isn't bad by any means at all, but part of the fun of something like Skyrim is that as long as you had the time, it actually made sense to actually make your way from one place to another just for all the potential fukkery you could run into. Everyone has at least one story about randomly coming across something like a random pair of giants, starting a fight with them, and then a dragon randomly decides that's a great time to drop in on you. That's just not here in the same way. I'm not really motivated to go exploring on most of the planets because you generally get the gist of what to expect.

It's weird, because the game's certainly not bad by any means, and I'd definitely suggest to people I know, but it's just not connecting with me the way I expected. I'm pretty close to just putting this down for a bit, and checking back in with it whenever the first DLC is out, since I imagine they will probably have changed the game a bit via patches by then.

think I’m gonna call an audible and play the outer worlds after this…I remember starting it but didn’t finish it cuz if my aversion to RPGs at the time…but I did like what little I played…just didn’t really get into mentally at the time…I’m not expecting it to offer the same gaming experience…just want to play a decent space story…think I should be able to knock it out quickly before spider-man 2

The Outer Worlds is definitely a game you could knock out in a quick run before Spider-Man comes out. It's pretty short. But I'd say if it's something you play right after this, you probably won't like it. The scale is much, MUCH smaller, and it might come off as underwhelming after something like this. I personally liked it a lot, but I can see how it's not for everybody. Although maybe check in on if the PS5/Series X version has been fixed before jumping in, though. Whoever ported it was apparently some dogshyt, and it was pretty rough when it first got rereleased. Not sure if it's any better at this point.

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven’t played this but “everyone” has recommended it to me (it’s too outdated for me to jump into) but you might be the first person that didn’t tell me they outright loved the game…as for outer worlds, my expectations are tempered…I think I played until the first city/settlement…just looking for a relatively quick, streamlined gaming experience/space story…worst case scenario I can just bail on it again…doesn’t cost me anything extra assuming it’s still on game pass

What I like about Fallout 3, New Vegas, if you do some evil shyt all the time cause of your reputation, NCP will fear you and run away from you, refuse to talk to you even in side missions and they would be like :whoa:.

If you're a vampire in Oblivion, you have to stay away from the sun or you will be burned and turned into a flame. The problem is some side missions in the daytime. People saw you as a vampire, they would scream or bring a torch to try to burn you, etc

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What I like about Fallout 3, New Vegas, if you do some evil shyt all the time cause of your reputation, NCP will fear you and run away from you, refuse to talk to you even in side missions and they would be like :whoa:.

If you're a vampire in Oblivion, you have to stay away from the sun or you will be burned and turned into a flame. The problem is some side missions in the daytime. People saw you as a vampire, they would scream or bring a torch to try to burn you, etc

they’re supposed to be remastering or remaking fallout 3…might try it if they do a great job with it…if they make the graphics and gameplay (combat-wise) similar to starfield then I’ll definitely check for it

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I think people are misremembering skyrim/fallout.

The dungenons in those games amounted to the same few templates as well.

Starfield actually has more variance in what you will see on the different planets compared to what you might see walking through the fallout wasteland.

The thing that’s different is your motivation to do the exploring. If you aren’t deep into ship building or base building, then there’s really no need to do a lot of exploring.

All of the extra planets are just window dressing to make the universe feel large and believable.

I stop by unique planets just for the spectacle, but I’m not the type of person to mess around with crafting/base building systems too much, so i probably won’t do a lot of random exploring. But that’s fine as there’s more than enough game here for me to do the things i like to do.

The one thing that is missing is “the journey” and i think that’s what people are saying when they complain about the menus.

In Skyrim and Fallout when you got a mission to an unexplored part of the map, the journey to get there was a mission in itself. In starcraft that journey has largely been replaced by menus.

But i think that’s just the nature of the setting. Humans have jet packs and can basically teleport. There’s really no need for anyone to spend hours traveling across land to anywhere. In a hypothetical world where humans have spread across the universe, lots of it would be empty space not even worth discovering. Contrast that to a fantasy or post apocalyptic setting and people walking around and discovering stuff makes lots of sense.

I’m having a good time with it so far. Classic bethesda branching path adhd fukkery to get lost in. :ehh:
This post here is facts. In most ways Starfield is the most Bethesda ass Bethesda game they ever made. This shyt harks back to their Daggerfall days.

I played Skyrim for YEARS, and people need to stop acting like those Radiant quests didn't have you re-exploring the same forts, caves, and dungeons over and over to re clear them out of bandits.

Starfield has more unique hand crafted content than any other Bethesda game and people are overlooking it because '1000 empty planets' like every other game set in space doesn't have 90% barren empty planets too.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This post here is facts. In most ways Starfield is the most Bethesda ass Bethesda game they ever made. This shyt harks back to their Daggerfall days.

I played Skyrim for YEARS, and people need to stop acting like those Radiant quests didn't have you re-exploring the same forts, caves, and dungeons over and over to re clear them out of bandits.

Starfield has more unique hand crafted content than any other Bethesda game and people are overlooking it because '1000 empty planets' like every other game set in space doesn't have 90% barren empty planets too.
Yeah, i stopped on a random planet, stumbled across a random base with some bandits in it, they had a map to a treasure in a whole ass different galaxy, made my way there, ended up stealing a ship on the way. Once i got there, there were more points of interest to explore.

I’m not sure how people are saying there’s no exploration. That’s all i’m doing is exploring. I don’t even know where i’m supposed to be as far as the main story is concerned :mjlol:

Arcavian

Him Downstairs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
Yeah, i stopped on a random planet, stumbled across a random base with some bandits in it, they had a map to a treasure in a whole ass different galaxy, made my way there, ended up stealing a ship on the way. Once i got there, there were more points of interest to explore.

I’m not sure how people are saying there’s no exploration. That’s all i’m doing is exploring. I don’t even know where i’m supposed to be as far as the main story is concerned :mjlol:
They want the exploration to be guided instead of going to do it themselves