Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hmmmm...

Your one of the only ones I've seen criticizing Harrison's performance. Almost every review has taken point to emphasizing how great he is in the movie.

Your critique of JJ evokes some of the criticism I've read online. He doesn't take time to let crucial or character growing scenes "breathe". I've read that it doesn't kill The movie, just some of the lasting momentum it could've had

Your thoughts on Finn are interesting and address some of the questions and complaints I've had about his portrayal. The problem with JJ and the screenwriters not knowing what to do with him is of crucial concern in my opinion because
If Rey (Force Sensitive future Jedi) is the new Luke and Poe (hotshot charismatic ace pilot) is the new Han. Then that only leaves Leia as the personification of FNN-2187, and Leia had a fully formed motivation since the beginnings of the first movie. It seems that, outside of defecting from the Order because he doesn't want to kill, and then adventuring around with Rey because he likes her, there's no MOTIVATION for his character. If Rey is off training to be the new trilogies Bad ass, then what does that leave Finn to do? What does he strive for? Is he now going to be the one in constant need of rescuing? Will he just be along to make quips and act as the court jester? What's his overall ARC and IMPRTANCE?

I'm quite sure Boyega is effortlessly capable of delivering. He was great in Attack The Block and exudes charisma in his interviews. I just don't want all of his talent to go to waste Driving Miss Ridey
You seem hellbent on the fact that they are all representing characters from the OT but that's not the case , look at a lot of the reviews saying they aren't exactly equivalent
and from people who saw it Finn is a great character and he may still be force sensitive
why don't you watch it and judge

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You seem hellbent on the fact that they are all representing characters from the OT but that's not the case , look at a lot of the reviews saying they aren't exactly equivalent
and from people who saw it Finn is a great character and he may still be force sensitive
why don't you watch it and judge

There are plenty of reviews I've read that liken The new trinity to the old Guard. Even WITHOUT that comparison it still begs the question

WHAT is Finn's purpose? Poe has an established identity and purpose. By the end of the film, Rey has an established identity and purpose. Finn, beyond his connection to Rey, has NO purpose. And at the end she leaves him to train with Luke. So WHATS his purpose? And leaving it with that ambiguous "we'll find out next time on Dragonball Z!" Response is lazy and quite frankly it's bullshyt.

And I'm more than likely going to see it, I've been on the fence but @Darth Humanist review kind of got me back, even though I think he's a little too optimistic. I haven't cancelled the tickets yet and I've got an 11:30 reservation for tomorrow. But I can still change my mind, as more reviews come out and I see the common thread from Coli posters and professional posters ALIKE who are confused on Finn's importance and describing him as Comic Relief doesn't sit well

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There are plenty of reviews I've read that liken The new trinity to the old Guard. Even WITHOUT that comparison it still begs the question

WHAT is Finn's purpose? Poe has an established identity and purpose. By the end of the film, Rey has an established identity and purpose. Finn, beyond his connection to Rey, has NO purpose. And at the end she leaves him to train with Luke. So WHATS his purpose? And leaving it with that ambiguous "we'll find out next time on Dragonball Z!" Response is lazy and quite frankly it's bullshyt.
Similar characteristics but not direct analogues. Also What was Hans purpose after ANH? And again you didn't see the movie but maybe stopping the first order , finding a family , a identity etc you haven't seen the movie breh

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Similar characteristics but not direct analogues. Also What was Hans purpose after ANH? And again you didn't see the movie but maybe stopping the first order , finding a family , a identity etc you haven't seen the movie breh
Han was the viewer. He was the cynical voice who's seen it all. The guy who is too cool for the force but still gets swept up anyway and slowly turns from scoundrel bounty hunter to believer and rebellion leader. He also provides a foil and romantic interest to Leia but we only see a glimpse of that in the first movie. He is also a timely friend who saves Lukes ass in the trench on the Death Star mission. I don't think all of the characters are directly analogous. Han was never awkward until he got captured in cloud city by Lando's collusion with Vader and after that he was never awkward again. His period of vulnerability was between Empire and Jedi. If anything it seems Finn is more like Luke and Rey is more like Han although the archetypal hero arc will mainly follow Rey for now. Remember that Luke had to get bailed out a few times in the first film.If Finn is more like Luke in personality then it makes sense "Han" would bail him out a few times but he will come back stronger later on.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Han was the viewer. He was the cynical voice who's seen it all. The guy who is too cool for the force but still gets swept up anyway and slowly turns from scoundrel bounty hunter to believer and rebellion leader. He also provides a foil and romantic interest to Leia but we only see a glimpse of that in the first movie. He is also a timely friend who saves Lukes ass in the trench on the Death Star mission. I don't think all of the characters are directly analogous. Han was never awkward until he got captured in cloud city by Lando's collusion with Vader and after that he was never awkward again. His period of vulnerability was between Empire and Jedi. If anything it seems Finn is more like Luke and Rey is more like Han although the archetypal hero arc will mainly follow Rey for now. Remember that Luke had to get bailed out a few times in the first film.If Finn is more like Luke in personality then it makes sense "Han" would bail him out a few times but he will come back stronger later on.
Well I know what his purpose was lol I'm just saying just because he wasn't luke he wasn't useless