Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - PS5, PC, XBOX X/S (April 28th, 2023) | Xbox One and PS4 (September 17, 2024)

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I really want to play this game, but I showed discipline in waiting for the general public (since i dont trust reviews) to let us know about the game's technical performance.

As usual with all new releases, the game is probably around 1 month+ from being in a state it should have been today.

A rushed launch compounded by the fact that this is an open world/area game running on Unreal Engine 4 means it will have bad performance.

For those unaware, UE4 is terrible for this style of game. The file sizes bloat and the engine isn't designed for large open spaces and it isn't scalable on modern hardware. This leads to underused hardware on all platforms with PCs getting the worst of it.

AAA gaming today is much more complex and unsustainable in many ways but for this post I will highlight multi-platform development for big titles.

--------

I'm going to lay some scenarios out:

If this was an exclusive to any *1* platform.

Pro: It would have much less issues at launch. It wouldn't be perfect since it is still UE4, but it would be in a better state with less glaring issues.

Cons: It would be a lot harder...probably impossible to make profit back in a decent time frame.

If this game had it's own custom engine.

Pros: It would be better designed and optimized for the game that they are trying to create.

Cons: It would cost even more to develop and Respawn doesn't have the resources (including talent and time) to do it.

If they delayed the game another 1 to 2 months

Pros: None

Cons: It still would have come out an unfinished mess.

------

This is the gaming reality we live in. This is the new norm and devs are straight up putting patches for known issues into the game's post release roadmap.

I will check this out in the fall or holiday later this year.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
I really want to play this game, but I showed discipline in waiting for the general public (since i dont trust reviews) to let us know about the game's technical performance.

As usual with all new releases, the game is probably around 1 month+ from being in a state it should have been today.

A rushed launch compounded by the fact that this is an open world/area game running on Unreal Engine 4 means it will have bad performance.

For those unaware, UE4 is terrible for this style of game. The file sizes bloat and the engine isn't designed for large open spaces and it isn't scalable on modern hardware. This leads to underused hardware on all platforms with PCs getting the worst of it.

AAA gaming today is much more complex and unsustainable in many ways but for this post I will highlight multi-platform development for big titles.

--------

Pro: It would have much less issues at launch. It wouldn't be perfect since it is still UE4, but it would be in a better state with less glaring issues.

Cons: It would be a lot harder...probably impossible to make profit back in a decent time frame.

Pros: It would be better designed and optimized for the game that they are trying to create.

Cons: It would cost even more to develop and Respawn doesn't have the resources (including talent and time) to do it.

------

This is the gaming reality we live in. This is the new norm and devs are straight up putting patches for known issues into the game's post release roadmap.

They said the next game will be using the Unreal 5 engine

They should’ve used that for this game!

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Indeed you have.

giphy.webp

I don't think people are ready to talk about this right now, breh. ESPECIALLY the bolded.
Are you into star wars like that.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can’t recommend this to y’all it needs more time in the oven. The performance is pretty choppy on ps5 but you can work around it. Even then this situation reminds me of Elden Ring day one, it’s playable but has some bugs to work out

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

--------

------

The cold hard truth is that Q&A isn’t as effective as a paid beta, and thats what a lot of releases are right now

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are you into star wars like that.

Not as much these days. I'm very ready for the franchise as a whole to do something new. Having everything have to fall in place around the events of the three trilogies has limited what they're able to do, in my opinion.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Whole bunch of yikes... That's the most passive aggressive response that I've ever read... It's not me, it's you whataboutitism that I've ever read.

A "Percentage"... Fam... Your game runs like ass across the board.
EA lawyer definitely wrote that shyt

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
“We’re sorry for the shytty port” Is becoming the new “We’re sorry for the delay” now that everybody expects the latter.

Even tho before the last few yrs, shyt PC ports were par for the course. Just now it’s more mainstream so they gotta face that music in public a little more
All these problems can be solved if developers simply stop trying to build hype trains for games for 5 years. I wouldn't even start talking about the game like that until it was in the polishing stages. These developers create a lot of their own problems.