Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods (Official Thread)

Miles Davis

Prince of Darkness
Daps
Reppin
Bebop
@Rhakim and all the brehs who seen The Emperor Jones

Delroy Lindo's walk through the jungle scene gave me the same vibes/awe of Paul Robeson in The Emperor Jones at the end. :wow::wow::wow:

I timestamped for the brehs who want to see (just the last 10 to 15 mins)

Seen Emperor Jones 2 weeks ago and I didn’t even think of it, that jungle walk was trippy.

Enjoyed Da 5 Bloods, we need more movies like with us in it. Felt good seeing people that looked like me in these roles.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good film I enjoyed it. I'm expecting it to get a few nominations during awards season

Last edited:

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
the movie was Spike Lee at his most Spike Lee :russ:

good flick but it has it's flaws...the first hour feels tedious but once the Bloods start looking for gold, things pick up a whole lot, but then the ending was predictable (called what happened between Norman & Paul before we ever got to the flashback) but I don't have a problem with that. Really my only real problem with the film is how all the other bloods were kept looking old while back in the War scenes

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I finally saw it. Great fukking movie.

Just the little nuances from a historical point that folks don't even realize.

Also spike put a lot of detail in this movie with the dialogue. Its a lot of stuff that folks will overlook. IMO it needs to be watched multiple times to catch things

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also I didn't have a problem with the guys being old in the flashbacks.

Spike already explained this.

Second Tien daughter should be 44 to 50 plus years old. Based on the vietnam war years. But we all know she isn't that old.

Hell even the actor that played eddie wasn't old enough to have been in the vietnam war.

In the end its a movie so we have to use our imagination.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
Delroy fukking Lindo. :wow:

Its just typical that the best character is a Trump supporting Black man. :francis:

Overall. A great movie. My main issue is the fact they didn't de-age them while fighting the war and the first hour or so dragged a little but after that I had a few lump in my throat moments.:mjcry:

Again, Delroy fukking Lindo. :wow:

Lewisham' finest.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One more thing don't forget the symbolic ending.

Remember the frenchman said don't forget america had the same fate as the french in vietnam.

So that ending high overview from the temple IMO represents that historical fate and also the geopolitical situation. That even in a unified vietnam....america and the french still meddle in that country.

Last edited:
Daps
I liked this film, mainly cuz it was entertaining and the acting was damn good especially with some stellar performances as many have mentioned in here. I thought the use of the old actors in the flashbacks worked PERFECTLY here. Glad they weren’t given the budget for the Irishman type de-aging. Felt like this method made more of an artistic statement and was less distracting than trying to watch an old DeNiro beat up a guy on the street. This movie didn’t even bother dying their gray hairs, so it’s jarring at first, but if you have half a brain you should have been able to quickly understand that it was a flashback.

The writing kept this from being great however. Too many head scratching to downright cringeworthy scripted moments/scenarios. And some scenes and storylines should’ve been cut.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
I liked this film, mainly cuz it was entertaining and the acting was damn good especially with some stellar performances as many have mentioned in here. I thought the use of the old actors in the flashbacks worked PERFECTLY here. Glad they weren’t given the budget for the Irishman type de-aging. Felt like this method made more of an artistic statement and was less distracting than trying to watch an old DeNiro beat up a guy on the street. This movie didn’t even bother dying their gray hairs, so it’s jarring at first, but if you have half a brain you should have been able to quickly understand that it was a flashback.

The writing kept this from being great however. Too many head scratching to downright cringeworthy scripted moments/scenarios. And some scenes and storylines should’ve been cut.

idk about others, but it's less to do with not knowing what's a flashback scene and more to do with better showing the continuous war with the soldiers. I ain't gonna tell Spike how to make movies :whoa: however, to show that "the war never ends", I think you keep the film shot the same way in flashbacks as it was in the present. Switching in between is kind of holding the audience's hand