Spike Lee's Da 5 Bloods (Official Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Like with Clockers, Bamboozled, He Got Game etc...

Its one of those Spike Lee movies that you can tell will get better with time/age.

Radio chick is 41 :ehh:
MV5BZGQ2MzU2MGItNjc5Zi00NDNiLTk5ZWYtMTQ2YjAyMjBhYjJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

latest

I want to get to know her :mjcry:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Saw it yesterday. Truly a great film. Wonderfully shot, beautifully acted with great characters, superb soundtrack and dope pacing of a very well done story that is as profoundly educational as it is exceedingly entertaining. It has a surprising amount of graphic action and tension as well, with many heart-warming moments and humor sprinkled all throughout, that can quickly turn to suspense, terror and tragedy that all holds up even when you can see it coming. The characters are rich, likeable, some even unlikeable, but all showing various dimensions of depth, heart, ideals and realism. I'm calling it now, it's a modern-day classick that's very representative of our current time, our troubled past and yet feels timeless as well. I can't recommend it enough.
10/10.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Side note, in my opinion, Spike and Denzel are the Jordan & Pippen of movies (even better than DeNiro/Scorsese or MBJ/Coogler), but can we acknowledge that Spike & Delroy are a great pair also? Their catalog is pretty strong: Crooklyn, Malcolm X, Clockers, and Da 5 Bloods.

I think Delroy is just as good as Denzel. Something about him is more believable. Denzel is more diverse I guess

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I think Delroy is just as good as Denzel. Something about him is more believable. Denzel is more diverse I guess

delroy actually feels like the character written for the movie while denzel feels like denzel in whatever scenario the movie calls for if that makes sense

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Man this movie was just average to me. Like there is zero chance you could get me to sit through this unnecessary 2 1/2 hours again. The movie had potential and good elements to build on, but it just wasn't executed that well imo. Alot of it felt B-movieish. Everything was hammed up, from the bloods first introduction, to the score, to the overdone hand shakes, to the predictable outcomes.

I swear Spike loves his overthetop, forced, cheesy exposition in his films. But maybe that's his style and it's simply a preference thing. To me the message loses impact when force fed in that way.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
delroy actually feels like the character written for the movie while denzel feels like denzel in whatever scenario the movie calls for if that makes sense
To be fair I think there is a rarely seen quality that plays in Delroy's favor. He hasnt gotten the opportunity to act in films lately. So he can truly "become" the character.

Denzel can do that too. He just been doing some paycheck jobs so people forget it.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Everything isn't supposed to be a twist. The way it was filmed, which was a director's choice and NOT a writing choice (which need to be clarified because people use "bad writing" at the wrong times) was filmed to signal that was going to happen. Like I said, I was prepared for it to happen long before it finally did. It was foreshadowed for most of that part of the movie when they ventured into the jungle.

I felt that coming as soon as the had the french chick explain why she was there. Figured that was a red herring that somebody was going to die that way. I like the way it was directed at the point just before he died too, cuz you can feel it to your core that you know what's about to happen, yet it was still building that tension of it about to happen at any given moment. Plus, despite knowing it was going to happen, I didn't know they were going to show it so graphically afterwards and that he'd still be alive for a couple minutes afterwards too. That shyt was harrowing. :damn:

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Yo this was not a well put together film :mjtf:

***Spoiler alert*

He couldve just started the movie right before they all met to explain the backstory... felt like he wanted to drop the characters right in the action but then he spends 30 minutes on context. The love story with that Thai hooker was corny. The way they found the gold was cliche as fukk. I knew someone would step on a landmine. Also, how is the sons love interest just walking around looking for landmines? :what:And he completely forgets about her and goes home to his wife?

Did he come to support his father or get in on the take? Film characters shouldnt have ambiguity in their actions

Why did dude jump on a landmine when there was no one in the vicinity.

. Overall, There were too many jarring storytelling elements. None of the other Bloods besides Paul were developed as characters. It was just Paul talking shyt the whole time. No group dynamic.