2.Malcolm X
3.Summer Of Sam
4.25th Hour
5.Bamboozled.

The man is a true auteur. :ahh:

JulesWinfield

TheBrehdrenMovement
Daps
do the right thing. it's between that and malcolm x but i voted for do the right thing.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Do The Right Thing>Malcolm X>Clockers>25th Hour>He Got Game

Get On The Bus is underrated.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
you do realize the screenplay was co-written by Richard Price?

and of course they took some of the story out, that always happens when books become films. The Godfather completely left out Vito's rise to power, left out main characters and breezed over everything that happened in Las Vegas. thats what happens with adaptations.

Aside from the move from Jersey to Brooklyn, the film captured the book really well. The characters and the way their relationships impacted on one another was spot on, and being that the book was less about the city and more about the characters i really didn't mind. The film and the book are two different pieces of work, if you dislike the film simply because it wasn't exactly like the book then you are really missing out on a great film.
So what if the screenplay was co-written by Richard Price...he was the author...he is an author...not a movie producer/director...thats irrelevant.

They took too much important shyt out. Moving the story to Brooklyn ruined all those excursions he made to New York in the book. I don't think the film captured the book at all. You contradict yourself by saying that...and in the next sentence saying that the book was less about the city but the story...Spike cut the soul out the story...and made it about the city...the city of Brooklyn to be exact. The Godfather movies didnt cut out Vitos rise to power. They clearly showed it. They cut out some of Las Vegas but alot of that shyt was irrelevant to the whole story. The Godfather didnt feel rushed like Clockers did...The shyt in The Godfather still happened even if they didnt show it...while Clockers was just cut out...never happened. The movie aint gotta be exactly like the book...i've liked plenty movies that come from books...A little artistic license is fine if it turns out great...I absolutely loved Jackie Brown...maybe my favorite Tarantino movie of all time. And there was plenty differences between that and Rum Punch (the book)...you aint gonna convince me that Clockers was a good tribute to the book...or even that it was a good movie in general...sorry we just gon have to agree to disagree.

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
OK I read the Clockers book a long time ago and have seen the movie but I can't remember what was so different in the 2 that makes you cats just hate the movie :manny:
What was wrong with the movie to you all???

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Malcolm X (came of the most professional)
Bamboozled (1 of the most provoking message I've seen on film)
Do the RIght thing

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
OK I read the Clockers book a long time ago and have seen the movie but I can't remember what was so different in the 2 that makes you cats just hate the movie :manny:
What was wrong with the movie to you all???

I'm just speaking for myself. But it felt rushed. They took a 600+ epic book and made it into a watered down movie the length of 2 episodes of Dexter. They took out the whole shyt with his girl in New York...they took out the whole shyt with Champ...they took out the whole shyt with Budda Hat. They took out the whole shyt wit Papi. They make the Fury look like bytches and barely had them in the movie...They made Rocco into a minor character...took his whole story out the film...Took out that actor that was following him around...Took out alot of Rodneys story...Took out alot of Andres story. Made Errol Barnes seem more like Bubbles than Omar. Took out Victor and Strikes whole brotherly relationship...took out a lot of Victors stuff now that I think about it...Without all that that I mentioned...you don't get very much of Strikes background at all. Other than that...played out boring cinematography...awful casting
² ...wack soundtrack³. The thing I hate about it most is what coulda been. I coulda been so much better.

².) Aside from Harvey Kietel and Delroy Lindo, as I mentioned before.
³.) I don't have to mention that Return Of the Crooklyn Dodgers is classic.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what if the screenplay was co-written by Richard Price...he was the author...he is an author...not a movie producer/director...thats irrelevant.

They took too much important shyt out. Moving the story to Brooklyn ruined all those excursions he made to New York in the book. I don't think the film captured the book at all. You contradict yourself by saying that...and in the next sentence saying that the book was less about the city but the story...Spike cut the soul out the story...and made it about the city...the city of Brooklyn to be exact. The Godfather movies didnt cut out Vitos rise to power. They clearly showed it. They cut out some of Las Vegas but alot of that shyt was irrelevant to the whole story. The Godfather didnt feel rushed like Clockers did...The shyt in The Godfather still happened even if they didnt show it...while Clockers was just cut out...never happened. The movie aint gotta be exactly like the book...i've liked plenty movies that come from books...A little artistic license is fine if it turns out great...I absolutely loved Jackie Brown...maybe my favorite Tarantino movie of all time. And there was plenty differences between that and Rum Punch (the book)...you aint gonna convince me that Clockers was a good tribute to the book...or even that it was a good movie in general...sorry we just gon have to agree to disagree.

Its relelvant that Price co-wrote the screenplay because you are saying that you dont like that Lee cut out all the important parts of the book, but the actual author of the book helped write the movie version so essentially Richard Price also cut out those bits you feel were so important. Its extrememly relevant to what we are talking about because it shows that this wasn't simply a distortion of the book, this was a new peice of work that was based upon the story from the book. Now its fine if you dont like the film, but if you main gripe is that it wasn't true to the book, then you are really just being unreasonable.

And yes the film was set in Brooklyn, but the film isn't about Brookyln, it was about a character yearning to get away from a hopeless environment but also being a major contributor to that hoplessness, just like in the novel. The duality of the character being both the victim and the perpetrator, I think the film captured very well.

Also, in regard to The Godfather, Vito's rise to power was not present in the original Godfather film but it was essential in the book because not only did it portray the closeness of Vito and Tessio which was very important later on, but it also showed that just like Michael, Vito didn't initially aspire for that life. And if your leaning on the fact that the sequal contained Vito's rise, the sequals also included a b*stard child of Sonny's inhereting the family, even though that was impossible based on the fact that the mother of that child did not get pregnant in the novel.

Film's are different from novels, all the time. So disliking a film for not being the same as the novel is a really lame arguement to judge a film by, especially if the author co-wrote the screenplay for the movie. However, if you didn't like the film because of the something specific to the film, thats fine and you are entitled to that opinion.

Daps
I assume the OP specified Spike's best film, not your favorite - the letters of Do The Right Thing should be the only characters of the keyboard you folk type out.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
Malcolm X or Mo Better Blues

lawd denzel ripped those roles to shreds :lawd:

Lil Wango

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
LA
Malcom X, Do the Right Thing, 25th hour, then Inside Man cause it was his highest grossing.