Spike Lee Co signs Fat Joe "Black People and Puerto Ricans created one of the great art forms ever! Together! In the bronx! Undisputed!"

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

The irony of the Salsa dance is that Salsa Dance (cuban mambo dance too, the precursor to salsa dance) was directly influenced by some of the same jazz dances that laid the groundwork for Afram bboying but Salsa dance didn't pick up some of the Tap elements that went into foundational bboying

when black people on twiiter the other day was pressing Ricans to post receipts from their dance culture that look like the roots to bboying, they couldn't find any

the only move I saw in an old mambo dance/salsa dance video was a floor sweep move that came right out of the Jazz dance vocab

I found it. It's from 1974 and the dancer is Roberto Roena

What many non-dancers wouldn't be aware of, is that what you see the Salsa dancer doing above is straight from the Jazz/Tap dance vocabulary. Most people who don't follow the music or dance history of Mambo/Salsa wouldn't be aware of the Jazz roots to both styles (musically and dance wise).

Mambo dance was/is actually a fusion of Cuban Rhumba and Afram swing dance(s). This is straight from the mouths of the people who birthed the dance in late 1940s NYC at the Palladium

tGmWoGV.png

You'll sometimes see/read that the Puerto Ricans added their Mambo/Salsa flavor into bboying w/o realizing that what ever you see in Salsa/Mambo dance that reminds one of bboying, it actually came from Jazz/tap which is why it's so easy to pull up clips from late 1890 to 1940s of Black Americans doing dances that look like the roots to bboying but it's hard to do within the Latin dances of the same time frame.

GB5ICNj.png

pKuEMPC.png

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps

Podcast with NYC hip hop legends talking about this subject

Big daddy Kane, grandmaster caz, crazy legs, Joe conzo

Everyone here agrees, black and Latinos built this culture. We all were 1st generation hip hop!! Just listen to the whole thing, but you can skip to 20:00 minutes in if you want to hear that statement

So again. I don't give a fukk what anyone here says, majority of ya ARE NOT from New York, you don't know the demographics, you don't know the landscape, and most importantly none of you were there

Ya can post other people's viewpoints that discredit Latinos all ya want, here's a couple of OGs that grew up in that environment speak on it. I know I ain't talking out my ass, so ya can circle jerk each other all ya want.

When My kids is older, I'm telling them blacks and Latinos created Hip Hop Culture in the bronx. I'm done here

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Everyone here agrees, black and Latinos built this culture. We all were 1st generation hip hop!! Just listen to the whole thing, but you can skip to 20:00 minutes in if you want to hear that statement

So again. I don't give a fukk what anyone here says, majority of ya ARE NOT from New York, you don't know the demographics, you don't know the landscape, and most importantly none of you were there

Ya can post other people's viewpoints that discredit Latinos all ya want, here's a couple of OGs that grew up in that environment speak on it. I know I ain't talking out my ass, so ya can circle jerk each other all ya want.

When My kids is older, I'm telling them blacks and Latinos created Hip Hop Culture in the bronx. I'm done here

Latinos weird as hell, seems they conveniently associate or disassociate with blacks.

Without latinos hip hop still becomes what it is today

Without blacks hip hop doesn't become what it is today

Simple logic. Just say latinos were present.

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Jennifer Garcia lol .She has been talking greasy about African Americans for years.

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Latinos weird as hell, seems they conveniently associate or disassociate with blacks.

Without latinos hip hop still becomes what it is today

Without blacks hip hop doesn't become what it is today

Simple logic. Just say latinos were present.

You don't know shyt about Latinos and any opinion you may have is just a generalization. That goes for the majority of the coli.

Most people here hear the word latino and quickly think of Mexicans or w.e you see in your part of the states. If you from the bronx you know what time it is, no one in real life is trying to hear this bullshyt narrative where latinos are "culture vultures".

Deadman187

All Star
Daps

SMH at Caz and Kane for even being on this bytches platform. Racist bytch stay in black peoples business, her whole youtube channel is shyttin on black men :scust:

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
SMH at Caz and Kane for even being on this bytches platform. Racist bytch stay in black peoples business, her whole youtube channel is shyttin on black men :scust:

I don't give a fukk who she Is or what she's said. I'm more concerned with who' shes interviewing and their opinions. Big daddy Kane, grandmaster caz, crazy legs, joe conzo. But you know what, fukk what they say. Let the coli and twitter say what happened in the bronx when hip hop was born

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I thought that ricans were heavily involved in the beginning of hiphop and breaking. But I won’t sit here and act like they led to the creation but they definitely had a hand in and still dox

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
I knew I saw this chic before with something Tariq related but I couldn't remember where:hhh:

So ya just going to ignore what all those OGs said because of the interviewer? Real ogs too, not some random old heads or an obscure book you want to quote for 20 pages

Big daddy Kane and grandmaster caz agree on Latinos being here from the start, but they both wrong tho right?

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So ya just going to ignore what all those OGs said because of the interviewer? Real ogs too, not some random old heads or an obscure book you want to quote for 20 pages

Big daddy Kane and grandmaster caz agree on Latinos being here from the start, but they both wrong tho right?

Convo still going in this one.Van Silk and Prince Whipper Whip Said Pr werent chilling together like that in 71,72,73. There words not mine. Both them didn't come around to 77. Whip was the first PR emcee. Rahiem and Grand wizard still beefing.:mjlol:

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps
Convo still going in this one.Van Silk and Prince Whipper Whip Said Pr werent chilling together like that in 71,72,73. There words not mine. Both them didn't come around to 77. Whip was the first PR emcee. Rahiem and Grand wizard still beefing.:mjlol:

Werent chillen like that and not chilling at all are two different meanings. AGAIN, the bronx is dense as fukk. We are talking about the 70s, no internet to connect us all. What one person experienced in soundview is different than what another person experienced in Kingsbridge. Thats why there's so much back and forth

But you guys are just going all out to discredit Latinos and call us culture vultures. There's a thin line between 71-75 and 75-79 and the radical FBAs are putting they best effort to decide when hip hop was born according to when they think the first latino stepped In.

"We think ya came in at 73 so let's just say hip hop was born in 71 and ya all culture vultures :mjpls: " gtfoh

No one knows who the fukk the first is of anything, like crazy legs said no one was documenting shyt back then because they were all teenagers not giving a fukk or high on drugs. Hip hop was a CULTURE and a movement. Blacks and Latinos built that culture together whether they knew each other or not

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
So ya just going to ignore what all those OGs said because of the interviewer?

That sit down was bullsh1t....the chick doesn't have any hiphop knowledge/awareness of general race dynamics of the 1970s Bronx, to ask the right questions. You need an OG like Van Silk to tell the truth and put the Ricans on the spot and admit to the truth

Van Silk was a hiphop promoter in the 1970s and knows true hiphop history

He recently had a sit down with some of the early Rican pioneers (Ruby Dee and whipper whip), who also happen to be his close friends and flat out told them they weren't there in the 1970-1974 era and they flat out agreed! Van Silk said Herc just sold his early HipHop memorabilia at some auction with over 190 pictures going back to 1973, and there were no Puerto Ricans anywhere to be found at the early jams! Silk also says while black and ricans lived in the same hood in the early 1970s, Ricans and Blacks were largely isolated from each other and it was unheard of for a black to be dating a rican in that era.

here. Ruby Dee confirms that when he first got into the game around 1976/1977, the crowds were ALL BLACK and there were no Ricans around outside of himself, Disco Wiz (1975), Whipper Whip (1977/1978) and Charlie Chase (1977)

Real ogs too, not some random old heads or an obscure book you want to quote for 20 pages

I posted tons of real OGs, first generation acts. None of the people at the sitdown you posted were from the 1970-1974 era. Big Daddy Kane is from the 1980s:russ:

Kane is from the 1980s and Caz who is from around 1975 was holding back. He's already told the real truth countless times. Like I said, the truth is out there, and the OG Ricans (and blacks) already told it

yGvmFom.png

pdY4VfY.png

Black Pioneers = since 1970

Rican followers = 1975 and later

Last edited:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
That sit down was bullsh1t....the chick doesn't have any hiphop knowledge/awareness of general race dynamics of the 1970s Bronx, to ask the right questions. You need an OG like Van Silk to tell the truth and put the Ricans on the spot and admit to the truth

He recently had a sit down with some of the early Rican pioneers (Ruby Dee and whipper whip), who also happen to be his close friends and flat out told them they weren't there in the 1970-1974 era and they flat out agreed! Van Silk said Herc just sold his early HipHop memorabilia at some auction with over 190 pictures going back to 1973, and there were no Puerto Ricans anywhere to be found at the early jams! Silk also says while black and ricans lived in the same hood in the early 1970s, Ricans and Blacks were largely isolated from each other and it was unheard of for a black to be dating a rican in that era.

here. Ruby Dee confirms that when he first got into the game around 1976/1977, the crowds were ALL BLACK and there were no Ricans around outside of himself, Disco Wiz (1975), Whipper Whip (1977/1978) and Charlie Chase (1977)

I posted tons of real OG's, first generation acts. None of the he people at the sitdown you posted were from the 1970-1974 era. Big Daddy Kane from the 1980s:russ:

Kane is from the 1980s and Caz who is from around 1975 was holding back. He's already told the real truth countless times. Like I said, the truth out there, and the OG Ricans (and blacks) already told it

yGvmFom.png

pdY4VfY.png

Van Silk was just on live with Lord Jamar shooting down all the BS about PR's helping create hip hop lol. There's so much evidence & first hand experiences we're read & watched that there were no latinos around (1970-74) when AA's created the 4 elements hip hop. Latinos participated in it after it was already in full force. The real pioneers of hip hop were born in the 50's & very early 60's like Coke La Rock who's like 65 years old

Uptown WaYo87

HARLEM/BX
Daps

He recently had a sit down with some of the early Rican pioneers (Ruby Dee and whipper whip), who also happen to be his close friends and flat out told them they weren't there in the 1970-1974 era and they flat out agreed! Van Silk said Herc just sold his early HipHop memorabilia at some auction with over 96 pictures going back to 1973, and there were no Puerto Ricans anywhere to be found at the early jams! Silk also says while black and ricans lived in the same hood in the early 1970s, Ricans and Blacks were largely isolated from each other and it was unheard of for a black to be dating a rican in that era.

I posted tons of real OG's, first generation acts. None of the he people at the sitdown you posted were from the 1970-1974 era. Big Daddy Kane from the 1980s:russ:

Kane is from the 1980s and Caz who is from around 1975 was holding back. He's already told the real truth countless times. Like I said, the truth out there, and the OG Ricans (and blacks) already told it

yGvmFom.png

pdY4VfY.png

Yup you're right because Van Silk knew every single person on every block in the bronx in the 1970s. And when he was promoting parties he knew the ethnicity of every single person in the crowd :comeon:

Man shut the fukk up, ya doing the most