Southern Rappers with East coast flows (add on....)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Y'all are confusing accent and flow in here...a rapper can have an East Coast flow and a Southern accent

^^this......really, when a "flow" based on region is being talked about, people are actually thinking about accent and musical backdrop

the only regions with a distinct flow when you exclude accent is the MidWest

maybe, that memphis type flow

and bay area

most other regions have pretty much the same flow with different accents/drawls. If big krit didn't have a drawl, this could be straight from NY in its style

this by Ceelo too

Last edited:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
and? pac was from NY and he doesnt sound like a NY rapper like that.

But, Like i said i can see Ice T being a answer, but i dont think saying he from NJ is a valid reason

Ice T got his start on the east tho.

he was in the mix years before he blew up out west.

he was even in the cut in "wildstyle", if im not mistaken.

Skillz doesn't sound like a Philly rapper.

Magoo has the Q Tip on helium thing going on vocally, but his flow is not East Coast.

Missy Elliott is a rapper. She got a deal for being a rapper. Her guest spots on Gina Thompson's "Things You Do" and 702's "Steelo" got her a deal with Elektra and her own label under the condition she dropped an album.

you can have your opinion. im just telling you alot of people thought he was from philly. and iirc, he did the theme song for the power 9 at 9 or radioactive or some chit.

are you insinuating that magoo's flow is southern??

lol @ missy. you listed a bunch of r&b records. she got her deal as a singer/writer/producer/rapper. and she got her previous deal as a singer in an r&b group.

Last edited:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the only real answers are j cole, the clipse (yes VA is the south), jay electronica and maybe rick ross.

jerzboy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ti had an east coast flow to me but he has a southern accent. Well, since I first heard him with Trap Music. One of the reasons I liked him early on

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you can have your opinion. im just telling you alot of people thought he was from philly. and iirc, he did the theme song for the power 9 at 9 or radioactive or some chit.

lol @ missy. you listed a bunch of r&b records. she got her deal as a singer/writer/producer/rapper. and she got her previous deal as a singer in an r&b group.

Skillz ain't really sound like Philly. If anything, he sounds more NY than Philly.

Magoo's flow definitely isn't East Coast and is a lot closer to Southern than it is East Coast especially on "Up Jumps Da Boogie"

Yes, I listed R&B songs, and she sang on none of them. They all featured her rapping. Her debut single, "The Rain", was her rapping.

She did not get a deal for her writing or producing. Artists don't sign to labels to do that and aren't offered deals for that. She got on for rapping. That whole "he he he haw" thing is what got her noticed and Puff convinced her to be an artist. Elektra took notice and offered her an imprint on the condition that she made an album.

3rd Ward Swangin

Superstar
Daps
Ice T got his start on the east tho.

he was in the mix years before he blew up out west.

he was even in the cut in "wildstyle", if im not mistaken.

He born and raised in Jersey before his parents died at 14.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Ti had an east coast flow to me but he has a southern accent. Well, since I first heard him with Trap Music. One of the reasons I liked him early on

on certain songs here-n-there when he started pandering to the east, sure.

thas about it tho.

He born and raised in Jersey before his parents died at 14.

yea thats basically most of your formative years.

then he went back east again to get in the game.

Skillz ain't really sound like Philly. If anything, he sounds more NY than Philly.

Magoo's flow definitely isn't East Coast and is a lot closer to Southern than it is East Coast especially on "Up Jumps Da Boogie"

Yes, I listed R&B songs, and she sang on none of them. They all featured her rapping. Her debut single, "The Rain", was her rapping.

She did not get a deal for her writing or producing. Artists don't sign to labels to do that and aren't offered deals for that. She got on for rapping. That whole "he he he haw" thing is what got her noticed and Puff convinced her to be an artist. Elektra took notice and offered her an imprint on the condition that she made an album.

you can have your own opinion(which is misinformed) but im TELLING YOU what people thought. alot of people back in the day, thought mad skillz was from philly. im just telling you what was being said. i dont know why you gotta try to argue about every little thing.
and as far as your opinion goes, he sounded more philly than new york. im talking about '90s phlly before the major figgas influence - which predates the philly that youre accustomed to.

lol @ the magoo comment.

yea missy rapped FOR THE R&B CROWD. i dont know why you keep acting like she was an emcee. you think elektra signed her because they thought missy was gonna be the next MC Lyte or a lady of rage or a bahamadia?? be for real.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yea missy rapped FOR THE R&B CROWD. i dont know why you keep acting like she was an emcee. you think elektra signed her because they thought missy was gonna be the next MC Lyte or a lady of rage or a bahamadia?? be for real.

Talk about being misinformed, she wasn't rapping for the R&B crowd. It doesn't make sense. People don't tack rap verses onto R&B songs to appeal to R&B listeners.

Also being an MC =/= being a rapper. And what's funny about this whole post is that this exists from the same time period.

Lyte and Missy were label mates. So yes, Elektra did see Missy Elliott as someone who could be a successful rapper.