Southern Rappers with East coast flows (add on....)

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Talk about being misinformed, she wasn't rapping for the R&B crowd. It doesn't make sense. People don't tack rap verses onto R&B songs to appeal to R&B listeners.

Also being an MC =/= being a rapper. And what's funny about this whole post is that this exists from the same time period.

Lyte and Missy were label mates. So yes, Elektra did see Missy Elliott as someone who could be a successful rapper.

that song was jiggy-pop.

youre not proving me wrong with that link at all.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that song was jiggy-pop.

youre not proving me wrong with that link at all.

How is this proving your point? You just mentioned MC Lyte as an MC. "Cold Rock A Party" is a rap record featuring Missy Elliott RAPPING and now you're calling it "jiggy Pop". It is a rap song no matter how you cut it.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
How is this proving your point? You just mentioned MC Lyte as an MC. "Cold Rock A Party" is a rap record featuring Missy Elliott RAPPING and now you're calling it "jiggy Pop". It is a rap song no matter how you cut it.

i was referring to vintage mc lyte.

yea, its a rap song, but stop pretending like missy isnt an r&b rapper.
take her r&b fans away and she doesnt exist.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i was referring to vintage mc lyte.

yea, its a rap song, but stop pretending like missy isnt an r&b rapper.
take her r&b fans away and she doesnt exist.

Missy isn't an "R&B rapper". Her biggest songs ever featured NO SINGING AT ALL:

Your post makes no sense because her biggest albums feature the least amount of singing and here you are arguing that she would be nothing without R&B.

Missy broke through as a rapper first. Yes, she was in an R&B group in which she still rapped. The R&B group was a FLOP. Her rap career was a success. Did she still sing? Yes. Singing was never her bread and butter. Her rap records were, which is why ALL of her R&B singles have guest features from rappers. Her rap singles outside of "Lose Control" feature no R&B singers.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
AND THAT CHIT IS R&B RAP.

it aint about whether or not she sings on the track.

Those are both rap songs. Nobody looked at those songs as R&B. And it does matter whether she sings or raps on the song. Nobody looks at a song that is ALL rap as an R&B song. The same way no one looks at a song that is all singing as a Rap song.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Those are both rap songs. Nobody looked at those songs as R&B. And it does matter whether she sings or raps on the song. Nobody looks at a song that is ALL rap as an R&B song. The same way no one looks at a song that is all singing as a Rap song.

there doesnt have to be any singing in it. theyre still rap songs catered moreso towards r&b fans who like rap music secondary.

nothing wrong with that. but if you cant tell the difference then :beli:. its not rocket science.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
there doesnt have to be any singing in it. theyre still rap songs catered moreso towards r&b fans who like rap music secondary.

nothing wrong with that. but if you cant tell the difference then :beli:. its not rocket science.

Breh, what you are saying makes absolutely no sense at all. She also sings, if she wanted to cater to make songs that catered to R&B audiences, all she had to do was sing i.e. "Beep Me 911". "Get Ur Freak On" nor "Work It" cater to R&B audiences. Those are full blown rap records.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
Breh, what you are saying makes absolutely no sense at all. She also sings, if she wanted to cater to make songs that catered to R&B audiences, all she had to do was sing i.e. "Beep Me 911". "Get Ur Freak On" nor "Work It" cater to R&B audiences. Those are full blown rap records.

whens the last time you seen a ninja pull up blasting a missy record??

whens the last time you seen a bunch of dudes seriously discussing a missy record, or discussing missy at all??

hell, whens the first time that youve seen this??

the answer to all of this is NEVER.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
whens the last time you seen a ninja pull up blasting a missy record??

whens the last time you seen a bunch of dudes seriously discussing a missy record, or discussing missy at all??

hell, whens the first time that youve seen this??

the answer to all of this is NEVER.

I ain't even go looking for this.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the same lil wayne that dam near dresses in drag.

im supposed to be impressed by his cosign???:heh:

Nobody cares if you are impressed. Impression wasn't the intent. Fact is, he refers to Missy not only as a rapper, but his favorite rapper and you can't really use the "dressing in drag" angle, because Wayne is talking about as far back as the Hot Boy days before they broke through the mainstream as Missy inspired "Block Burner".