Sony’s only way out now is to allow Gamepass on their system

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah if anything Microsoft just made it more hot. Other companies are like, wait…. Are we missing out? They paying 70b to get game studios…. :patrice:

The blood is in the water, and honestly? I don’t really care. I don’t care for much of any of the western publishers. Ubisoft, Activision, Take Two, and EA has mass effect and dragon age, but outside of that? :yeshrug:

Gaming is 95% sony, capcom, Square enix, Fromsoftware, and indie games for me

Between Tencent, NetEase, Embracer, Amazon, Google, Apple, Netflix, Facebook….its already set in motion. Majority of 3rd party publishers, especially american ones are gonna be swallowed up by the end of this generation

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
TBH i'd prefer if Amazon or somebody swoop in & get them rather than MS walling them behind Gamepass
At least they'd still be multi-platform :francis:
Would it be multi-platform though? Maybe PC but Amazon has their own gaming platform in Luna to push.

Microsoft has probably fired the first shots in a feeding frenzy of tech giants likely trying to buy publishers for gaming subscriptions services and their own platforms. It's likely going to be like the TV streaming services where content is fragmented across different services.

Stuff taken for granted that is third party now is probably going to be stranded on some individual service. From there I'd expect consolidation from multiple services to just maybe 2 major ones.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Would it be multi-platform though? Maybe PC but Amazon has their own gaming platform in Luna to push.

Microsoft has probably fired the first shots in a feeding frenzy of tech giants likely trying to buy publishers for gaming subscriptions services and their own platforms. It's likely going to be like the TV streaming services where content is fragmented across different services.

Stuff taken for granted that is third party now is probably going to be stranded on some individual service. From there I'd expect consolidation from multiple services to just maybe 2 major ones.

Well, I hope. Until they start to make some noise in the gaming space.
As for the bolded, that has been my fear ever since all this subscription talk started.
But nikkas went along on with it cause they are getting "free" games :francis:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Well, I hope. Until they start to make some noise in the gaming space.
As for the bolded, that has been my fear ever since all this subscription talk started.
But nikkas went along on with it cause they are getting "free" games :francis:
I can't help but feel this was inevitable. As the tech advanced and streaming of games became more viable the barrier to entry in the gaming market would be reduced and more players would enter. This isn't a business where overnight you can become a major player. You gonna have to have something players want and the shortest path to that is buying publishers and their IPs.

This business model makes more sense for companies and customers. People will just have to pick the games they want and sub to that service. It's not that much different than now and buying a console. You pick one and give up the games the other has.

In TV terms I'm not subbed to Paramount+. They have some shows I'd no doubt like and watch but I don't lose any sleep over what I'm missing.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That would mean xbox is going 3rd party pretty much cause there’s not a soul on this planet that would buy an xbox if they put gamepass on playstation.

Thats my serious answer
MS vision is to get as many subscribers as possible. GP on PS consoles is a win for both companies.

Sony stans get up brag about their exclusives and get full access to MS catalog, and MS gets access to Sony's user base and data.

MS has been transparent that they want a cross play/platform experience with Sony for a while now, and Sony has been reluctant even tho the tech is there. Now, MS has pivoted and is going to force Sony to reconsider how they want to approach interoperability between ecosystems and consoles... Especially if MS continues to buy more publishers and gets more IP.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
MS vision is to get as many subscribers as possible. GP on PS consoles is a win for both companies.

Sony stans get up brag about their exclusives and get full access to MS catalog, and MS gets access to Sony's user base and data.

MS has been transparent that they want a cross play/platform experience with Sony for a while now, and Sony has been reluctant even tho the tech is there. Now, MS has pivoted and is going to force Sony to reconsider how they want to approach interoperability between ecosystems and consoles... Especially if MS continues to buy more publishers and gets more IP.

Lotta us were saying GP is eventually going to be on PS. PS Now and Plus finally having a combo program is gonna be good as well.

The remaining Western Big Publishers are EA and Take 2. Take 2 just bought Zynga. I have a strange feeling someone other than Microsoft or Sony is gonna make a play for BOTH of them.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Lotta us were saying GP is eventually going to be on PS. PS Now and Plus finally having a combo program is gonna be good as well.

The remaining Western Big Publishers are EA and Take 2. Take 2 just bought Zynga. I have a strange feeling someone other than Microsoft or Sony is gonna make a play for BOTH of them.
Yeah, we have to see because Amazon and Google haven't really been aggressively pushing forward on the cloud gaming front. It's like they announced the products and then fell back. Where as MS is clearly all in...
:patrice:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yeah, we have to see because Amazon and Google haven't really been aggressively pushing forward on the cloud gaming front. It's like they announced the products and then fell back. Where as MS is clearly all in...

Google keeps fukkin up. Apple makes a killing already with all their mobile royalties. But I don't count Apple, Google, or Facebook out. All 3 more than have enough bread to buy EA and Take 2. Seriously doubt MS would be allowed to get them because of monolopy/antitrust shyt.

It's just a matter of which of the Big 3 Tech Companies remaining acquires the last 2 major Western Gaming Publishers.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Its gonna happen, or else phil Spencer wouldn’t have even brought them up. They are basically dog whistling that the acquisition war is just starting. It also justifies them acting so aggressively to congress

You think Facebook had that gigantic roll out for meta just to drop it months later? No, they’re gonna need to land a big publisher to keep that oculus metaverse train rolling. Especially now that they know they could lose more devs to microsoft

When big companies like that start talking about gaming, everyone should be on alert

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Its gonna happen, or else phil Spencer wouldn’t have even brought them up. They are basically dog whistling that the acquisition war is just starting. It also justifies them acting so aggressively to congress

You think Facebook had that gigantic roll out for meta just to drop it months later? No, they’re gonna need to land a big publisher to keep that oculus metaverse train rolling. Especially now that they know they could lose more devs to microsoft

When big companies like that start talking about gaming, everyone should be on alert
The metaverse race while similar to gaming, is different IMO. Meta sees it as the evolution of the internet and they put it out there that they are going all in and investing in it now. However, there's going to be a lot of variables that is going to cause a rift between users. It's going to be a clash between traditional Web 2.0 behaviors and methodologies and what's to come with Web 3.0 and the system being disrupted. Meta is trying to get ahead of the wave of decentralized metaverses that will be coming and essentially trying to colonize and dominate the space like he did with social media in the early 2000s.

So yes, I know the Metaverse is a main focus for Meta, but they have A LOT to get in order outside of just the gaming aspect of it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The metaverse race while similar to gaming, is different IMO. Meta sees it as the evolution of the internet and they put it out there that they are going all in and investing in it now. However, there's going to be a lot of variables that is going to cause a rift between users. It's going to be a clash between traditional Web 2.0 behaviors and methodologies and what's to come with Web 3.0 and the system being disrupted. Meta is trying to get ahead of the wave of decentralized metaverses that will be coming and essentially trying to colonize and dominate the space like he did with social media in the early 2000s.

So yes, I know the Metaverse is a main focus for Meta, but they have A LOT to get in order outside of just the gaming aspect of it.

At the end of the day they need devs to make shyt for it, no one is gonna continue to care about it in its current state. They are gonna buy the biggest most notable publisher they can find, whether thats EA or Take Two or Ubi…etc

It’s gonna be a big old mainstream american publishing house with the most amount of people under it