Sony squeezing every last ounce out of the Spider-man franchise

thenatural

Superstar
Daps
Yeah mos def. And I believe Marc is more interested in the relationship and emotional part of Peter Parker like most of the comic writers are but that clashes with the sensibility of a big budget summer movie and he hasn't found a way to balance it out. I heard his initial pitch for the reboot was something way stripped down and putting more of a focus on character than spectacle which is how the first 30-45 min of Amazing 1 was

Real talk. That's why the ASM1 is my favorite movie of the whole Spider-Man film series.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Real talk. That's why the ASM1 is my favorite movie of the whole Spider-Man film series.

Yeah would've been nice if he got a chance to play that out but again it just doesn't quite mesh with his sensibilities. Even in ASM2 you can tell he's more interested in the quieter moments and character stuff.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I totally forgot she was even in that:heh:
You don't remember the infamous out of control crane scene?

Spidey saves gwen then just leaves, never stopping the crane thats swinging around wildly smashing into buildings.

That movie was terrible start to finish.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So no problem with super b grade charactors like antman, dr strange, the inhumans, black widow, and a THIRD hulk movie getting greenlit huh? :ld:

The Avengers are a B team so it's nothing new.

Let's put it like this, if Marvel had the cinematic rights to F4, X-Men, Spiderman, etc. there wouldn't be an Antman or Dr. Strange movie.

But they don't, so they have to work with what they have.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
The Avengers are a B team so it's nothing new.

Let's put it like this, if Marvel had the cinematic rights to F4, X-Men, Spiderman, etc. there wouldn't be an Antman or Dr. Strange movie.

But they don't, so they have to work with what they have.

Fred.
Fair enough but the announcements of the disney b team movies get :krs: / :ehh: response, and the sony flicks et :beli: / :camby:

This lowered expectation taints all the way to initial reviews...

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Fair enough but the announcements of the disney b team movies get :krs: / :ehh: response, and the sony flicks et :beli: / :camby:

I think its because its characters that haven't been done before.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I think how "GoTG" turned out raised expectations for how Marvel Studios can handle a....can't even say C, a D tier group.

And let's be real here, nobody thought that movie would be good. This board was full of people actively saying it would flop, was "straight to DVD status" for months.

So there's probably more good will towards them right now, to handle lesser characters, than any other studio.

And hell....this extends all the way back to the first MCU movie, "Ironman". He was never a major character like Spidey or Wolverine. Marvel Studios are in their wheelhouse with B tier and less characters. Everybody else....who knows?

As far as the over arching argument, as to why people are extra critical of non-MCU movies....let's put it like this. Let's say "ASM" is wack....let's say "Captain America" is wack. The difference is, "Captain America" is building towards something. Even if you dislike him, there is Hulk, Thor, Ironman, etc. in "The Avengers". A wack Spiderman movie is just a wack movie. If one non-Marvel studio owed all these random ass Marvel properties, and was building towards....let's say Secret Wars, or The X-Tinction Agenda, I think people would be a lot more forgiving of the individual movies because they're one piece of the puzzle.

Look at how well "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" was received, and it's building towards Apocalypse.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I think how "GoTG" turned out raised expectations for how Marvel Studios can handle a....can't even say C, a D tier group.

And let's be real here, nobody thought that movie would be good. This board was full of people actively saying it would flop, was "straight to DVD status" for months.

So there's probably more good will towards them right now, to handle lesser characters, than any other studio.

And hell....this extends all the way back to the first MCU movie, "Ironman". He was never a major character like Spidey or Wolverine. Marvel Studios are in their wheelhouse with B tier and less characters. Everybody else....who knows?

As far as the over arching argument, as to why people are extra critical of non-MCU movies....let's put it like this. Let's say "ASM" is wack....let's say "Captain America" is wack. The difference is, "Captain America" is building towards something. Even if you dislike him, there is Hulk, Thor, Ironman, etc. in "The Avengers". A wack Spiderman movie is just a wack movie. If one non-Marvel studio owed all these random ass Marvel properties, and was building towards....let's say Secret Wars, or The X-Tinction Agenda, I think people would be a lot more forgiving of the individual movies because they're one piece of the puzzle.

Look at how well "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" was received, and it's building towards Apocalypse.

Fred.
I gotta commend you for about the only thoughtful response on the other side of this discussion. The only problem is..well..this thread...spiderman is building toward something and its getting hazed for it.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I gotta commend you for about the only thoughtful response on the other side of this discussion. The only problem is..well..this thread...spiderman is building toward something and its getting hazed for it.

I haven't seen the newest Spidey movie, so I can't comment on that either way. I was just speaking in general terms.

I will say this though, there's a level of animosity for any non-Marvel studio just based on them fracturing the universe. Not even saying it's a logical complaint, but it is what it is. Let's say the next Spiderman movie is the GOAT comic movie....there will still be the nagging thought in the back of a lot of people's minds "wouldn't it be better if he popped up in The Avengers?"

And I think most people would agree, based on how the MCU has been received. This is also why we're seeing DC movies building towards The Justice League, and X-Men building towards Apocalypse. People like stories to connect.

Fred.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
Black_cat_small.jpg

:win: stay mad