Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Show me it in a video game. :shaq2:

I think the Kinect/PS Camera will remain a gimmick next gen. It will only be useful for social/entertainment features & casual party games. I can't think of 1 way it could change gaming when it comes to core games. Microsoft & Sony would have to completely do away with controllers for that to happen. Nobody really wants to jump & move like an idiot around over sitting down comfortably in a couch with a controller. Voice commands during games is irrelevant cause voice command via headset existed before the kinect.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
you're laughing, talking about i'm stuck on one facet. uhhh thats enough by itself. if you could throw the ball in madden/ncaa more accurately. that woudl be enough to put K2.0 over the top.

and yes they could simulate running. how do i know this? because they have fitness games that track your running right now. that football game shown above shows you running as well. yes it can be done. with legit jukes. not everyone would do it. but enough people would.

it could get to the point where you would hear about legit nfl players actually using it as a workout/regimen and a hint of practice.

but you will say thats nonsense. no.. its not. the same thing happen with that nascar game once people got serious about the Steering wheel. once that was tightened up. and the makers of the nascar game tightened their game up. REAL LIFE PROFESSIONAL racers started using that game to train for tracks.
Bro....real life Nascar drivers isn't using EA's NASCAR 2013 to train. They have REAL simulators they can use in addition to actually getting on the track. Simulators that actually move and shift weight. If they have a race wheel at home, its so they can enjoy a videogame just like everyone else that has them.

:heh: @ you thinking NFL cats are gonna be "practicing" at home using the Kinect. The fact that you think that should tell anyone reading this thread all they know to know about your level of intelligence.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
They have REAL simulators they can use in addition to actually getting on the track. Simulators that actually move and shift weight.

those simulators aren't too concerned with flashy graphics and such either. they'll represent other cars as just blocks and shyt. the important part is the movement and physics being accurate

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I'm in the camp wanting the camera to be packed with the PS4. I love gimmicky shyt. But this article is filled with inaccuracies.

The decision to sell the camera separately was made well in advance of E3. When you get to watch the Dual Shock 4 trailer released in May, at the end of the trailer it states the camera was sold separately

iJgqRWP.png

Also his math is very bad, how does a camera that retails for 60 bucks make the console a 100 dollars cheaper when the price is 399 without it? This sounds like an opinion piece without sources.

Again I'm in the Camera camp but his math is fishy.

:dahell:

This can't be a real post right? I'm convinced that you're a brilliant master troll. Because 99% of the shyt you post has me like :why:

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bro....real life Nascar drivers isn't using EA's NASCAR 2013 to train. They have REAL simulators they can use in addition to actually getting on the track. Simulators that actually move and shift weight. If they have a race wheel at home, its so they can enjoy a videogame just like everyone else that has them.

:heh: @ you thinking NFL cats are gonna be "practicing" at home using the Kinect. The fact that you think that should tell anyone reading this thread all they know to know about your level of intelligence.

:ufdup:

He has his usual things to do: meet with his crew chief. Spend hours in his team’s garage in Statesville, N.C., so technicians can tinker with his car. Work out every day on the elliptical machine at his gym.

Oh — and sit in a chair for hours playing video games.

The last item is not merely a diversion. For Sadler, 32, as for other professional drivers, playing games is as much a part of the grueling, 36-week Nascar Nextel Cup season as is kicking the tires and checking the oil.

Games like EA Sports Nascar ’08 are considered so accurate in their representation of the 22 tracks used in the Nextel Cup that a driver can do a virtual test-run while sitting at home — or on a plane. “They translate 100 percent,” Sadler said. “You wouldn’t believe how realistic these games are now and how much we can learn from them.”
^^thats an old 2007 article, talking about nascar 08 from EA SPORTS.
http://www.the-coli.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4690731

its almost 2014.

another old article from 2009, a company hi-jacking madden/ncaa football stuff from ea sports...
That might be stretching a point, but a few years back, some in their ranks noted their players' obsession with video games (the "Madden NFL" and "NCAA Football" games in particular) and suggested that these games might serve as terrific teaching tools. And after that, it was only a matter of time before the line between work and play was blurred.

XOS Technologies hastened the process. The Massachusetts-based company licensed the core technology of the video games produced by Electronic Arts -- the creators of the "Madden" games -- in April 2007. With EA Sports, XOS created the Thunder PlayAction Simulator.

Available in wide release for the first time this year, the simulator allows a team to load its plays, and those of an opponent, and then give its players -- quarterbacks in particular -- a 3-D look at what they might expect to see on game day.

"We did everything we could to keep the game as similar to 'Madden' [and] 'NCAA' as possible," said Albert Tsai, XOS' vice president for advanced research.

The result being, Tsai said, that players are being trained "in an environment they want to be trained in."

"No question, it puts guys in the thick of things, rather than watching film," said Erick Harper, Arizona's director of football operations. "The way they are technologically and what they do with video games, it's right up their alley. It's what they do daily, as it is. … Roll it out, and they're into it."

"To them, it's fun," LSU video coordinator Doug Aucoin said. "It's a game, but at the same time they're learning."

The players can also have the simulation loaded into laptops, allowing them to take what they're learning with them when they leave the practice facility, Miller said.

"It feels like they're getting a break from football," he said, "except they're still learning what we want them to learn that day."

It is also possible to "replay practice," Aucoin said, giving reserves a chance to see the things the starter might have seen.

"You run 30 plays at practice and 30 on the video game," he said, "and you're not getting banged up and beaten."

"Same with two-minute [situations]," he said. "Same with exotic blitz situations. All these situations that you want to prepare for, but that aren't common enough that you've got a lot of video evidence to teach, you can use a simulator and describe any scenario you want, exactly the way you want [players] to see it."

Old simulator from 2008. using a headset and watching a guy throw a football to no one in a room. wait.....thats kinect before kinect.

you telling me you couldnt use a very accurate kinect 2.0 or 3.0 to do this very same thing?

STOP sleeping on this tech. stop waiting for people to show you the other things its capable of before you realize what could happen. kinect = virtual reality to some degree, without the super glasses. your making body movements to move your character on the screen. or they can make you see it in first person on screen so all you see is your arms when you throw, etc.

the more accurate that camera becomes and the less lag you have from kinect to the system. the more you could see these things used in training people.

prime example. NBA BALLER BEATS. i have it. i know with my own use. i played in a couple of leagues with grayson aka the professor(and 1 mixtape). he knew some guys involved in the game as well. he admitted it will help you get better at dribbling. especially dribbling with your head up. if you can make it to the advanced levels. your ball handling will get a lot better. i know it works cause i used it for 4 days straight just to see. went from rookie to pro. there's a level higher then that. and i could feel my handle getting better. just off of that silly game.

the tighter the tools become(kinect) the more people will realize and unlock the true training aspects of these games in addition to the fun you can have with them at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kinect Table tennis was that crack i aint gon lie :whew:
Everything else :ehhh:

That table tennis online had me :whew: for a few weeks. That shyt was so addictive. :stylin: every time you win a crucial point was :pachaha: My character was constantly
electronicbomb-humping-thrusting-gif-11252012-03.gif

Bowling was legit too.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps

^^thats an old 2007 article, talking about nascar 08 from EA SPORTS.
http://www.the-coli.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4690731

its almost 2014.

another old article from 2009, a company hi-jacking madden/ncaa football stuff from ea sports...

XOS: PLAYACTION SIMULATOR VR - YouTube

Old simulator from 2008. using a headset and watching a guy throw a football to no one in a room. wait.....thats kinect before kinect.

you telling me you couldnt use a very accurate kinect 2.0 or 3.0 to do this very same thing?

STOP sleeping on this tech. stop waiting for people to show you the other things its capable of before you realize what could happen. kinect = virtual reality to some degree, without the super glasses. your making body movements to move your character on the screen. or they can make you see it in first person on screen so all you see is your arms when you throw, etc.

the more accurate that camera becomes and the less lag you have from kinect to the system. the more you could see these things used in training people.

prime example. NBA BALLER BEATS. i have it. i know with my own use. i played in a couple of leagues with grayson aka the professor(and 1 mixtape). he knew some guys involved in the game as well. he admitted it will help you get better at dribbling. especially dribbling with your head up. if you can make it to the advanced levels. your ball handling will get a lot better. i know it works cause i used it for 4 days straight just to see. went from rookie to pro. there's a level higher then that. and i could feel my handle getting better. just off of that silly game.

the tighter the tools become(kinect) the more people will realize and unlock the true training aspects of these games in addition to the fun you can have with them at home.
:comeon: NEGRO PLEASE......You link an NYTimes article as proof that these cats are actually training. Dude, they aren't using this shyt to improve skill. These are using this shyt to review shyt they already know. If this game was all they needed to do what they do, then everybody and their mother would be NASCAR drivers. So STOP when that nonsense right now. Yeah, if these guy can't get to a track and he wants to review strategy, yes, he can throw in NASCAR 08......but only for that fluff piece article....more than likely he pulls up the maps with his crew chief and goes over pit strategies/ refueling/ tire rotation strategies and timing like everyone else. :heh: Sadler hasn't won shyt in the Cup Series since 04.....guess those virtual NASCAR tracks aint helping. :comeon:

As far as with this asinine throwing the football in the living room. First off, that technology was stripped down. Read your own article. So they built a similation from existing software and loaded it on laptops so players could see what a play might look like. Just because there is a guy throwing a football in a simulation room doesn't mean you are going to do that in your living room. It also doesn't mean that players are gonna actually train using that. How is a cornerback gonna train with that sh!t? How about a linebacker? When was the last time you seen this virtual reality shyt on an episode of Hardknocks? Simulation type software and virtual reality components have existed for years. The military has had VR shyt for longer than that. That doesn't mean that you are about to play virtual soldier in your living room.

And this is why I didn't want to go down this route on this topic. This is getting away from how Kinect itself can be used. You are too busy looking for ways to poke holes that you still can't answer the pressing question. How is Kinect going to be used without being shoe horned into the user experience? Even if that QB shyt was possible, it still would not fit with the rest of Madden. It would still be something you had to use in addition with the controller and a game like Madden isn't going to work like that. Reactions have to be too quick for you to switch back and forth like that. Instead of searching for articles about how random Nascar drivers are using virtual tracks to win, but at the same time not winning, why don't you do what I asked and explain how as a WHOLE they are going to use Kinect to enhance a game to the level analog sticks enhanced 3D gaming worlds. I'll give you a dollar if you can do it and not reply with further nonsense.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The Phoenix said:
How is Kinect going to be used without being shoe horned into the user experience?
You can call plays, audibles, hot routes. You can point out a blitzing defender for extra coverage. Call time outs. As the qb you can lean to avoid a tackle. Point to a player for motion.

Those are only a couple examples. In capable hands kinect can/will improve core gaming experiences.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You can call plays, audibles, hot routes. You can point out a blitzing defender for extra coverage. Call time outs. As the qb you can lean to avoid a tackle. Point to a player for motion.

Those are only a couple examples. In capable hands kinect can/will improve core gaming experiences.

:lolbron:

That shyt is :trash:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps

The voice sh!t could be done with a mic, but I'll give it to you. I'm skeptical about you pointing to an exact defender without having to wave your arm around. I mean, its not THAT precise. Is it gonna know if I'm pointing to the left outside LB or the defensive end in a 3-4? I could see the Kinect even 2.0 with it's precision pointing to the wrong guy and you having to point a second time or modify the action with a controller. But I'll give that to you. Don't tell me though that those capabilities aren't novelty. Do not tell me that you should be forced to pay 100 bucks more for that. If someone wants that kind of interactivity they should have that choice. And its still debatable on whether its actually enhancing the gameplay. While that stuff could be useful, its still borderline gimmicky. You guys just can't admit that this may be the extent of motion control gameplay. It's not about to be virtual reality and total body immersion. It's going to be slight novelty enhancements that can help in small ways and that is fine. No one is knocking that stuff. Just don't give me a load of bullshyt about how devs are about to change the game with this shyt. Meach....the nikka said we are about to be in the living room playing tackle football.....come on now....nobody is even asking for that.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

As a person who has this, I concur :shake:

:lolbron:

That shyt is :trash:
:usure:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGblHC8cOT0#t=105s[/ame]

It works exactly like you see in the video. I also know that you don't care for Madden to much. If you did, and you was in the Madden threads? You'd consistently read how people talk about how its hard to do defensive changes on the fly. Offense too. But with Kinect anyone can do it faster than possible on controllers and since you don't have that much time once you break the huddle it brings the game into a new stratosphere :ufdup:

NFL players on the field have to make split second changes. What did Ray Lewis do if they needed to change something? He'd yell it to his teammates. You can essentially be Ray Lewis and while "tell" your teammates what to do on the fly. Only a fool would hate on that, are you a fool?
The voice sh!t could be done with a mic, but I'll give it to you. I'm skeptical about you pointing to an exact defender without having to wave your arm around. I mean, its not THAT precise. Is it gonna know if I'm pointing to the left outside LB or the defensive end in a 3-4? I could see the Kinect even 2.0 with it's precision pointing to the wrong guy and you having to point a second time or modify the action with a controller. But I'll give that to you. Don't tell me though that those capabilities aren't novelty. Do not tell me that you should be forced to pay 100 bucks more for that. If someone wants that kind of interactivity they should have that choice. And its still debatable on whether its actually enhancing the gameplay. While that stuff could be useful, its still borderline gimmicky. You guys just can't admit that this may be the extent of motion control gameplay. It's not about to be virtual reality and total body immersion. It's going to be slight novelty enhancements that can help in small ways and that is fine. No one is knocking that stuff. Just don't give me a load of bullshyt about how devs are about to change the game with this shyt. Meach....the nikka said we are about to be in the living room playing tackle football.....come on now....nobody is even asking for that.
The video I show above is already next level. Makes it so you would be a better player. The motion shyt isn't what Madden is trying to do right now. The Kinect is precise enough to track your movements accurately including being able to tell how much power you put into a throw. It does track all that, but Kinect Sports would be the game trying to put you in it that way. Madden, I can see them implementing you really kicking F.G's but that all remains to be seen. For now, Madden uses voice commands. Pointing to a defender in real life is for your other players to see where you pointing at. In Madden, it only makes sense that voice would accomplish that. And it does. Try it, you'll love it. Peep the video, then realize its only gonna improve. Thats just year one with old tech you seeing in that vid :blessed:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The voice sh!t could be done with a mic, but I'll give it to you. I'm skeptical about you pointing to an exact defender without having to wave your arm around. I mean, its not THAT precise. Is it gonna know if I'm pointing to the left outside LB or the defensive end in a 3-4? I could see the Kinect even 2.0 with it's precision pointing to the wrong guy and you having to point a second time or modify the action with a controller. But I'll give that to you.
It's supposed to be accurate enough for that and more. Only time will tell

Don't tell me though that those capabilities aren't novelty. Do not tell me that you should be forced to pay 100 bucks more for that. If someone wants that kind of interactivity they should have that choice. And its still debatable on whether its actually enhancing the gameplay. While that stuff could be useful, its still borderline gimmicky. You guys just can't admit that this may be the extent of motion control gameplay. It's not about to be virtual reality and total body immersion. It's going to be slight novelty enhancements that can help in small ways and that is fine. No one is knocking that stuff. Just don't give me a load of bullshyt about how devs are about to change the game with this shyt.
It's 1995 and I ask you "how will the a analog stick/rumble pack revolutionize gaming?"

How do you answer? You can't say it's gonna make modern shooters amazing, because modern shooters don't exist yet.

Any answer you could give I could shoot it down by saying its a gimmick we already have a d-pad there's no need to have an anolog stick.

If anolog sticks remained optional, they would have never become as revered and as required in the eyes of gamers as they are today. Certain games might have used them but until they were placed on EVERY controller their true value was never realized.

And yes added benefits for ALL games and system functions is well worth $100.

Meach....the nikka said we are about to be in the living room playing tackle football.....come on now....nobody is even asking for that.
Don't need a kinect for that :win:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
It's supposed to be accurate enough for that and more. Only time will tell

It's 1995 and I ask you "how will the a analog stick/rumble pack revolutionize gaming?"

How do you answer? You can't say it's gonna make modern shooters amazing, because modern shooters don't exist yet.

Any answer you could give I could shoot it down by saying its a gimmick we already have a d-pad there's no need to have an anolog stick.

If anolog sticks remained optional, they would have never become as revered and as required in the eyes of gamers as they are today. Certain games might have used them but until they were placed on EVERY controller their true value was never realized.

And yes added benefits for ALL games and system functions is well worth $100.

Don't need a kinect for that :win:
Too bad there aren't internet articles to pull up from 95. All I can do there is guage the excitement around my block at the time. People were jazzed about the analog stick. Mario 64 with an analog stick while not impossible would not have been the same game. Madden without Kinect on the other hand.....but you're right. Only time will tell. But I suspect that you want the Kinect to be great because its on the Xbone. If Sony had released the kinect I think you'd be on the other side of the fence. Me, I don't have a dog in the fight. I just get sick of the hyperbole. I'd love to see an actual feature that really enhances the game with a Kinect and I still say you guys are overlooking the fact that barely anything Kinect wise was shown at E3 as a sign. Being able to fine tune a players movement with an analog stick was not a gimmick and I highly doubt anyone ever argued that to be the case.....but.....no internet gaming articles from 95 right? We'll see.....

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon: NEGRO PLEASE......You link an NYTimes article as proof that these cats are actually training. Dude, they aren't using this shyt to improve skill. These are using this shyt to review shyt they already know. If this game was all they needed to do what they do, then everybody and their mother would be NASCAR drivers. So STOP when that nonsense right now. Yeah, if these guy can't get to a track and he wants to review strategy, yes, he can throw in NASCAR 08......but only for that fluff piece article....more than likely he pulls up the maps with his crew chief and goes over pit strategies/ refueling/ tire rotation strategies and timing like everyone else. :heh: Sadler hasn't won shyt in the Cup Series since 04.....guess those virtual NASCAR tracks aint helping. :comeon:

As far as with this asinine throwing the football in the living room. First off, that technology was stripped down. Read your own article. So they built a similation from existing software and loaded it on laptops so players could see what a play might look like. Just because there is a guy throwing a football in a simulation room doesn't mean you are going to do that in your living room. It also doesn't mean that players are gonna actually train using that. How is a cornerback gonna train with that sh!t? How about a linebacker? When was the last time you seen this virtual reality shyt on an episode of Hardknocks? Simulation type software and virtual reality components have existed for years. The military has had VR shyt for longer than that. That doesn't mean that you are about to play virtual soldier in your living room.

And this is why I didn't want to go down this route on this topic. This is getting away from how Kinect itself can be used. You are too busy looking for ways to poke holes that you still can't answer the pressing question. How is Kinect going to be used without being shoe horned into the user experience? Even if that QB shyt was possible, it still would not fit with the rest of Madden. It would still be something you had to use in addition with the controller and a game like Madden isn't going to work like that. Reactions have to be too quick for you to switch back and forth like that. Instead of searching for articles about how random Nascar drivers are using virtual tracks to win, but at the same time not winning, why don't you do what I asked and explain how as a WHOLE they are going to use Kinect to enhance a game to the level analog sticks enhanced 3D gaming worlds. I'll give you a dollar if you can do it and not reply with further nonsense.

wait a second. so you're trying to ask me why isnt kinect 2.0 not getting rid of controllers altogether already? thats a dumb question. you already know the answer to that. people are slow to change. but they have to force it on the people so they will be forced to change, even slowly. they have to slowly but surely show the people the benefits of such a product and eventually they will come around.

if you make it an accessory the only people getting it would be people like myself that KNOWS full well that its a serious piece of tech. most people dont get what it can be. so they have to be baby sat and told.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Too bad there aren't internet articles to pull up from 95. All I can do there is guage the excitement around my block at the time. People were jazzed about the analog stick. Mario 64 with an analog stick while not impossible would not have been the same game. Madden without Kinect on the other hand.....but you're right. Only time will tell. But I suspect that you want the Kinect to be great because its on the Xbone. If Sony had released the kinect I think you'd be on the other side of the fence. Me, I don't have a dog in the fight. I just get sick of the hyperbole. I'd love to see an actual feature that really enhances the game with a Kinect and I still say you guys are overlooking the fact that barely anything Kinect wise was shown at E3 as a sign. Being able to fine tune a players movement with an analog stick was not a gimmick and I highly doubt anyone ever argued that to be the case.....but.....no internet gaming articles from 95 right? We'll see.....
The problem with new games and Kinect is since it was an addon developer didn't want to dedicate resources to something that only x-amount of people had and even less still used. But there are fantastic games that are Kinect Only that you haven't played yourself yet probably. The Gunstringer is one. Fruit Ninja isn't deep, but is incredibly fun. Fable Journey is great. Kung-Fu High Impact is fun as well. Then there's the dance centrals/kinect sports/etc. But you want more than that. Well Kinect 1.0 wasn't capable of much more than what I just named. Thats not the problem, the problem was getting devs to make new ways to game. Thats not something that just happens overnight tho. Now that Kinect is everywhere, you will see what you crave in time. Right now Devs are still working on outdated dev kits and they are trying to rush to get launch games out. Not the type of environment you'd expect the type of game your hoping for to be ready. Each year you will see more games and new ways to play games. I'm not concerned because I seen what they had in the past, and I've read what Developers are working on. So I know there won't be a drought so to speak. Just like sony supporters assume Naughtydawg will deliver 8games. I can actually back up what I'm saying. I can show you dev after dev saying they got shyt coming. That they love the tech. If you needed to see that for yourself, I'll gladly provide the links.
I don't have a horse n this either, I'm just going off of what I read and have been reading for the last 15yrs...