Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Here is something from ThatGameCompany the one that had all their games on ps3 before, and nothing for xbox.

Here's a quote
“A while back someone was asking me what I was looking for and I said ‘I wanted to have an input device that captures the player’s facial expressions and gestures and fingers’ I think the Kinect 2 is finally there.”

You can read more at the link
Life After Journey for ThatGameCompany - Telegraph

:obama:
Take a bow my friend. I guess I wasn't being too irrational after all eh :leon:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
i think the point people are trying to make is... this will never completely take over a controller

i have a kinect.. yes you can ADD to games... but you can't make madden on kinect.. period.. you can add a throwing motion.. you can call out plays.. you can do all that stuff

what you can't do is pick your play, line up, hike it AND THEN run a playaction pass, pump fake right, throw the ball, catch the ball, juke two times, spin, and then hit sprint................. WHILE the other guy is rushing the qb, then switches to the cb who is backpeddling and turning to chase the receiver, miss the tackle, switch to his safety, who proceeds to swipe the ball, pick up the fumble.................. then switch back to offense, mid play.. and run that shyt

AND Y'ALL ACTING LIKE THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN... and happen at the same speed, and gameplay as the other guy, or any guy, who's JUST using his controller... COME ON NOW

then we must take out madden (why the fukk is madden the highlight game).. lets take halo... you running full games, online.. all that.. NO CONTROLLER???

assassin's creed.. you running round the world climbing and killing nikkas with no controller

gta... come on now

now i think we can ALL agree that 2.0 isn't gonna be able to do all that.. it will either be a game catered to that, with a lot of automation in it (kinect sports).. or a mini game in an already big game (think training camp on madden).. or add to the game (voice commands, quick hand or body movements)

to SOME people.. they don't give two fukks about any of that.. so we don't see it as SACRIFICE to not have it available to us. we'd like to be able to say, "i don't give a fukk about kinect" but yet still buy the xbox and play the games and shyt.

how that is even an argument is crazy.. even microsoft themselves admitted it.. "if you purely want to play games, get a ps4" i mean damn.. this is a gaming system right. maybe i don't want to have to lug around my kinect from upstairs to downstairs AND hook up the cable box, just to play a quick game of 2k14. my xbox MOVES.. girl wanna watch a movie, take it upstairs.. i wanna play on the big screen, back downstairs... son wants to watch the big tv, but my girl upstairs, take it in my room. i don't even have space to set that shyt up properly in every room.. shyt my bedroom got a fukking bed in it.. right in front of the tv.. i hope by "always needs it" it doesn't mean "always needs it correctly calibrated for room size"

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:why:You ask for links. I provide them, you read the headlines and immediately shoot them down

And I'm supposed to be the bias fanboy:snoop:
Bro...you keep posting bullshyt and then ask why I stopped reading them? :rudy: And on top of that Jenova Chen never even made shyt for the Xbox. I asked you for a link where people wanted to make something, had the idea in place, tried to make it with Kinect, couldn't, and 2.0 came and now they are ready to go with said game. Chen was talking about input device in general in terms of what he was hoping for, whether they were form Nintendo, Sony, or MS. MS made the Kinect and thats what they focused on in that article. Unless you are trying to claim that every dev that ever had the opportunity to work with Kinect would have made a great game years ago using the tech but since it couldn't recognize facial expressions none of them did and none of them mentioned it. But, since Jenova Chen has mentioned it now, all of the rest of those guys can now get on with their work and also make games using facial expressions even though before July 1st, it had never crossed their mind? :stopitslime: You don't believe that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Bro...you keep posting bullshyt and then ask why I stopped reading them? :rudy: And on top of that Jenova Chen never even made shyt for the Xbox. I asked you for a link where people wanted to make something, had the idea in place, tried to make it with Kinect, couldn't, and 2.0 came and now they are ready to go with said game. Chen was talking about input device in general in terms of what he was hoping for, whether they were form Nintendo, Sony, or MS. MS made the Kinect and thats what they focused on in that article. Unless you are trying to claim that every dev that ever had the opportunity to work with Kinect would have made a great game years ago using the tech but since it couldn't recognize facial expressions none of them did and none of them mentioned it. But, since Jenova Chen has mentioned it now, all of the rest of those guys can now get on with their work and also make games using facial expressions even though before July 1st, it had never crossed their mind? :stopitslime: You don't believe that.

You're just rambling and moving goalposts again. I've given real information to back up all of the claims I've made in this thread. You keep pushing your opinion based on limited understanding as fact.

Im done here. :cheers:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You're just rambling and moving goalposts again. I've given real information to back up all of the claims I've made in this thread. You keep pushing your opinion based on limited understanding as fact.

Im done here. :cheers:
:manny: Bro, if you're wrong you wrong. Just admit it next time and move on.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

And here is another one with devs talking about what they can do with the new kinect that couldn't be done with the original.

BeefJack | Interview: Rare on Kinect Sports 2 and the future of motion control

BeefJack: For Kinect Sports: Season 2, you said that Rare went back to some of the sports that it felt would have been difficult or impossible to do in the first game. For the benefit of our readers who weren’t able to hear your talk at Develop, could you describe some of the technical and design issues you faced?

Scott Henson: On the technical front there are several innovations we have been driving to improve the overall experience. Starting with voice recognition we are adding more than 300 voice commands in 6 distinct languages supporting 12 countries. This is the most ambitious use of voice of any game for Kinect by an order of magnitude (that’s without the increase in language support added this year over last year). Voice recognition allows the player to say a simple command (like “change club” in Golf or calling a play in football) and the software will instantly respond. Players should expect that every sport in Kinect Sports: Season Two will have support for voice recognition in a unique way.

On the gesture front, we are doing several things with our innovations to create delightful experiences for our players. First, we are looking at creating a much more precise experience with sports like darts. Last year we were throwing javelins with big arm movements. This year, we are using new hand tracking technology to allow a player to throw a dart with the flick of their wrist. Other sports like baseball and golf were a big technical challenge as well because when the player stands sideways there is part of the body we are not able to see. Through the power of software, we are able to continue to learn what these different poses mean and how to create an experience that feels great no matter if you are 6 or 60.

:manny:

:manny: Bro, if you're wrong you wrong. Just admit it next time and move on.

the self ether:wow:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
And here is another one with devs talking about what they can do with the new kinect that couldn't be done with the original.

BeefJack | Interview: Rare on Kinect Sports 2 and the future of motion control

:manny:

the self ether:wow:
:heh: Dude, he is still talking about one of the party games. Thats not the reason MS bundled the Kinect with the system. The first Kinect didnt stop him from making games. Stay on topic. Fanboyism by any means necessary eh......You got that Faux News logic working.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:heh: Dude, he is still talking about one of the party games. Thats not the reason MS bundled the Kinect with the system. The first Kinect didnt stop him from making games. Stay on topic. Fanboyism by any means necessary eh......You got that Faux News logic working.

You asked for a dev to talk about things he tried with the kinect one that couldn't be done that he is now putting into a game due to the upgrades. I've given you that.

Everytime I give you proof. You move goalposts and call me a fanboy.

Do you have any links to back up your assertions in this thread?

I've given you historical proof and current industry opinion supporting the decision to package the kinect in with the Xbox.

I've given you proof that original kinect games never made it to their full potential due to technical limitations.

I've given you proof that the kinect 2.0 is much more capable than the first.

I've given you proof that devs are excited about the new capabilities of the kinect

I've given you proof that devs are working on things that they wanted to do, but just were not possible with the original kinect.

And each time your reach for a reason to discount what I'm saying, so you can call me a fanboy.

Do you think all these people who are writing these articles that reflect my opinion are bias fanboys as well?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Yall need to get back on topic.

Jack Tretton Da Gawd Already dispelled this shyt yesterday in regards to the topic on the IGN Up at Noon show.

Notable tidbits:

- PS+ Price will not change ($50/year)
- PS4 price had to be set months in advance due to corporate nature. Lots of cheers in Sony's arena during morning rehearsals when XBO price was unveiled.
- Sony didn't want to force PSeye on budget-weary consumers or try to mandate it for developers to use.
- Jack Tretton's face still hurts from grinning.
- Camera sold for $60.
- Remote Play to work at launch with Vita.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You asked for a dev to talk about things he tried with the kinect one that couldn't be done that he is now putting into a game due to the upgrades. I've given you that.

Everytime I give you proof. You move goalposts and call me a fanboy.

Do you have any links to back up your assertions in this thread?

I've given you historical proof and current industry opinion supporting the decision to package the kinect in with the Xbox.

I've given you proof that original kinect games never made it to their full potential due to technical limitations.

I've given you proof that the kinect 2.0 is much more capable than the first.

I've given you proof that devs are excited about the new capabilities of the kinect

I've given you proof that devs are working on things that they wanted to do, but just were not possible with the original kinect.

And each time your reach for a reason to discount what I'm saying, so you can call me a fanboy.

Do you think all these people who are writing these articles that reflect my opinion are bias fanboys as well?
Because the burden of proof isn't o me. All you've shown is that one dev is making a more precise version of a party game that he already made on the Kinect. You are trying to use that as an example of a killer app that wasn't possible on the first Kinect. Darts isn't a killer app bro. But you know that, you're clearly not stupid. But you seem determined to prove me wrong. The topic at hand is still PS4 price vs the Xbox One. Why can't they remove the Kinect and sell the system at 399. This is important because we know that 100 bucks can be a hell of a distinction in the console wars. Make light of it if you want but you've already seen Don Mattrick leave. That's significant. My point is those types of thing matter even if they don't always necessarily matter to us. So the discussion comes back to why the Kinect HAS to be there. You have yet to provide a reason backed by links that shows why this can't be an addon. Darts, yes I know its just one example, but it does not show that. If anything it just proves that the Kinect could be an addon and cheaper for the consumer. Just to back up, I don't feel that you are getting less value and I don't feel that 500 bucks is too much to pay for a console. Just that if you have a competitor with a cheaper system and they were able to remove components, if you are going to leave said components in I need more proof than darts to convince me you couldn't remove the device. Devs and vids telling me how good the device is doesn't change the fact that it did not have to be bundled. Thats really all I'm saying. :manny:

If that makes me a fanboy then I'll be that. :salute:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Because the burden of proof isn't o me. All you've shown is that one dev is making a more precise version of a party game that he already made on the Kinect. You are trying to use that as an example of a killer app that wasn't possible on the first Kinect.
:usure: moving goalposts. You didn't ask for a killer app. You asked for a dev talking about new capabilities. A killer app doesn't exist yet. That's like me asking for a killer app for the ds4 touchpad. It's an irrational question that does not have an answer.

Darts isn't a killer app bro. But you know that, you're clearly not stupid. But you seem determined to prove me wrong.
Never said it was. But the action of closing your fingers is something that the original kinect could not do. So the darts game can be used as an example of what is now possible.

The topic at hand is still PS4 price vs the Xbox One. Why can't they remove the Kinect and sell the system at 399. This is important because we know that 100 bucks can be a hell of a distinction in the console wars. Make light of it if you want but you've already seen Don Mattrick leave. That's significant. My point is those types of thing matter even if they don't always necessarily matter to us. So the discussion comes back to why the Kinect HAS to be there. You have yet to provide a reason backed by links that shows why this can't be an addon.
I've provided links and historical context as to why it is advantageous to package in the camera. You chose to ignore them.

]Darts, yes I know its just one example, but it does not show that. If anything it just proves that the Kinect could be an addon and cheaper for the consumer. Just to back up, I don't feel that you are getting less value and I don't feel that 500 bucks is too much to pay for a console. Just that if you have a competitor with a cheaper system and they were able to remove components, if you are going to leave said components in I need more proof than darts to convince me you couldn't remove the device. Devs and vids telling me how good the device is doesn't change the fact that it did not have to be bundled. Thats really all I'm saying. :manny:

If that makes me a fanboy then I'll be that. :salute:

Here is a dev telling you why bundling the camera in is a good thing. AND how the improvements open up the kinect to more widespread use by devs and consumers.

Harmonix praises Xbox One Kinect, 100% adoption "exciting" for studio - Gaming News - Digital Spy

"We are looking to define a new style of motion gaming inside music gaming, and I think with Xbox One and the fidelity of that camera, it would be accessible to a whole bunch of people who couldn't play Kinect in your living room before," he told Digital Spy.

"Even I, as one of the developers on that platform, my living room's not big enough [for the original Kinect]. But with a new camera, you'll be able to play closer to the TV and things like that."

Drake said having Kinect packaged with every Xbox One is "very exciting for us" because it offers an "100% adoption rate".

Now I'm sure you'll just find a way to move the goalposts again, but EVERYTHING you've asked I've been able to prove.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:usure: moving goalposts. You didn't ask for a killer app. You asked for a dev talking about new capabilities. A killer app doesn't exist yet. That's like me asking for a killer app for the ds4 touchpad. It's an irrational question that does not have an answer.

Never said it was. But the action of closing your fingers is something that the original kinect could not do. So the darts game can be used as an example of what is now possible.

I've provided links and historical context as to why it is advantageous to package in the camera. You chose to ignore them.

Here is a dev telling you why bundling the camera in is a good thing. AND how the improvements open up the kinect to more widespread use by devs and consumers.

Harmonix praises Xbox One Kinect, 100% adoption "exciting" for studio - Gaming News - Digital Spy

Now I'm sure you'll just find a way to move the goalposts again, but EVERYTHING you've asked I've been able to prove.
:comeon: Bro....I've been using the word killer app in this thread.....just go back and look son. It's all in black and white.

:heh: Again....that what you quoted just said he was excited that more people would have it because of the adoption rate. Nothing he said stated why the Kinect can't be an addon. He just said it was a better version of the Kinect.