Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:comeon: Bro....I've been using the word killer app in this thread.....just go back and look son. It's all in black and white.

:heh: Again....that what you quoted just said he was excited that more people would have it because of the adoption rate. Nothing he said stated why the Kinect can't be an addon. He just said it was a better version of the Kinect.
You didn't ask me for a killer app. You asked for a dev talking about what he can do wig the kinect that he couldn't do before. I provided that. And your excuse was "bu bu but its not a killer app"

The kinect can't be an add on AND have a 100% adoption rate. Therefore if it was only an add on thus dev would not be excited about making a game for it.

This is a sentiment that is reflected all over the industry and is proven by history.

For some reason you act as if all these people are just lying or stupid. Do you have any insider info to disprove their assertions?

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You didn't ask me for a killer app. You asked for a dev talking about what he can do wig the kinect that he couldn't do before. I provided that. And your excuse was "bu bu but its not a killer app"

The kinect can't be an add on AND have a 100% adoption rate. Therefore if it was only an add on thus dev would not be excited about making a game for it.

This is a sentiment that is reflected all over the industry and is proven by history.

For some reason you act as if all these people are just lying or stupid. Do you have any insider info to disprove their assertions?
:rudy: Again you have yet to post anything that states that these guys wouldn't make games if the Kinect didn't come with the system. You are making that assumption. Them being excited about the tech doesn't mean that they would be less excited for it if it wasn't bundled.

I asked you to post a link where devs said they were going to make the games but they couldn't make it because of Kinect. All you've posted is a dude stating that he is excited about throwing darts. He still made games for it in the past. On top of that it still didn't address the fact that it doesn't have to be bundled.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:rudy: Again you have yet to post anything that states that these guys wouldn't make games if the Kinect didn't come with the system. You are making that assumption. Them being excited about the tech doesn't mean that they would be less excited for it if it wasn't bundled.

A quote from the story in the OP.

But in its efforts to undercut the Xbox One, Sony has damned the accessory to a future of fragmented consumer adoption and inconsistent software support. The decision has also rendered a major design element of the DualShock 4 controller — the built-in LED Move tracker — largely useless.

Is this writer just a bias fanboy that can't back up his claims?

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
:patrice: You can't read I see. Well that explains everything.

He didn't say the ps4 was damned, only the camera.
:aicmon: Ohhh I see. So now its doomed because users decide whether or not those features are something they want. Only a fanboy would fight as hard as you have for fewer choices. If the Move dies because people wanted no part of it, thats the consumer speaking. If a dev makes something that makes it a must have, people will buy it. That simple :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:aicmon: Ohhh I see. So now its doomed because users decide whether or not those features are something they want. Only a fanboy would fight as hard as you have for fewer choices. If the Move dies because people wanted no part of it, thats the consumer speaking. If a dev makes something that makes it a must have, people will buy it. That simple :manny:

Chicken or the egg.

It doesn't have wide customer support because it doesn't have any games, it doesn't have games because it doesn't have wide customer support.

The only way to fix the problem is to package it with the console. Or drop it alltogether. History has proven that the middle ground just doesn't work.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:wow:

@The Phoenix I don't know how you're going back and forth with Meach in this thread.

:salute: @ you continuing to feed him common sense. He doesn't have any of it, but I'm sure other viewers of your posts understand exactly what your point is.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Chicken or the egg.

It doesn't have wide customer support because it doesn't have any games, it doesn't have games because it doesn't have wide customer support.

The only way to fix the problem is to package it with the console. Or drop it alltogether. History has proven that the middle ground just doesn't work.
What history? :what: It wasn't like they were optionally adding the analog stick on the SNES and then gave it to you on the N64. The Wii came with the Wiimote and still ended up using other controllers. There isn't a vast history where there were optional addons that were later given to consumers because the addon didnt work on its own and then became a hit as a result.

:wow:

@The Phoenix I don't know how you're going back and forth with Meach in this thread.

:salute: @ you continuing to feed him common sense. He doesn't have any of it, but I'm sure other viewers of your posts understand exactly what your point is.
It's 4th of July week man and I'm stuck at work and everybody has already left for vacation. I honestly don't have anything better to do at the moment but fukk around on these interwebs. :steviej:

Last edited by a moderator:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What history? :what: It wasn't like they were optionally adding the analog stick on the SNES and then gave it to you on the N64. The Wii came with the Wiimote and still ended up using other controllers. There isn't a vast history where there optional addons that were later given to consumers because the addon didnt work and then became a hit as a result.
Extra buttons were optional on sega genesis controllers. Most games used them as gimmicks until extra buttons became standard on sega Saturn.

Anolog sticks have been used in video games since the 1980's but we never got games that took advantage of them until the sticks became standard.

Sega CD offered a huge improvement over cartridges, but nobody bought it and no games took advantage of it. Cd drives are made standard and all of a sudden we have a bunch of games that just wouldn't work on cartridges.

Fragmentation is bad for ANY piece of tech. It's why the iphone has been so successful for users and devs alike. They know everyone with an iphone can use there app therefore they are more willing to put more into it. If they gave people "options" on which iphone to buy then the software wouldn't be nearly as good.

502Nels

Pro
Daps
Reppin
TheVille
i think the point people are trying to make is... this will never completely take over a controller

i have a kinect.. yes you can ADD to games... but you can't make madden on kinect.. period.. you can add a throwing motion.. you can call out plays.. you can do all that stuff

what you can't do is pick your play, line up, hike it AND THEN run a playaction pass, pump fake right, throw the ball, catch the ball, juke two times, spin, and then hit sprint................. WHILE the other guy is rushing the qb, then switches to the cb who is backpeddling and turning to chase the receiver, miss the tackle, switch to his safety, who proceeds to swipe the ball, pick up the fumble.................. then switch back to offense, mid play.. and run that shyt

AND Y'ALL ACTING LIKE THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN... and happen at the same speed, and gameplay as the other guy, or any guy, who's JUST using his controller... COME ON NOW

then we must take out madden (why the fukk is madden the highlight game).. lets take halo... you running full games, online.. all that.. NO CONTROLLER???

assassin's creed.. you running round the world climbing and killing nikkas with no controller

gta... come on now

now i think we can ALL agree that 2.0 isn't gonna be able to do all that.. it will either be a game catered to that, with a lot of automation in it (kinect sports).. or a mini game in an already big game (think training camp on madden).. or add to the game (voice commands, quick hand or body movements)

to SOME people.. they don't give two fukks about any of that.. so we don't see it as SACRIFICE to not have it available to us. we'd like to be able to say, "i don't give a fukk about kinect" but yet still buy the xbox and play the games and shyt.

how that is even an argument is crazy.. even microsoft themselves admitted it.. "if you purely want to play games, get a ps4" i mean damn.. this is a gaming system right. maybe i don't want to have to lug around my kinect from upstairs to downstairs AND hook up the cable box, just to play a quick game of 2k14. my xbox MOVES.. girl wanna watch a movie, take it upstairs.. i wanna play on the big screen, back downstairs... son wants to watch the big tv, but my girl upstairs, take it in my room. i don't even have space to set that shyt up properly in every room.. shyt my bedroom got a fukking bed in it.. right in front of the tv.. i hope by "always needs it" it doesn't mean "always needs it correctly calibrated for room size"

5* post right here

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Extra buttons were optional on sega genesis controllers. Most games used them as gimmicks until extra buttons became standard on sega Saturn.

Anolog sticks have been used in video games since the 1980's but we never got games that took advantage of them until the sticks became standard.

Sega CD offered a huge improvement over cartridges, but nobody bought it and no games took advantage of it. Cd drives are made standard and all of a sudden we have a bunch of games that just wouldn't work on cartridges.

Fragmentation is bad for ANY piece of tech. It's why the iphone has been so successful for users and devs alike. They know everyone with an iphone can use there app therefore they are more willing to put more into it. If they gave people "options" on which iphone to buy then the software wouldn't be nearly as good.
:rudy: We didn't have games to take advatage of analog sticks? Bro, you are trying to tell me that Mario 64 happened because of the analog stick as opposed to the other way around? :heh: Stop it. Games did take advantage of "joysticks". I recall Pacman doing just fine on the Atari. It wasn't widely used because the industry as a whole was unstable, and up until the bottom fell out right before Nintendo finally took over, there wasn't a standard anything. Don't act like analog sticks were simply made standard. We went through the Nintendo, SNES, and Sega before they showed up and that was because of 3D gaming environments.

Added buttons were never a gimmick and you didn't have to pay extra for them. Stop it. I don't recall having a button that I had to pay extra for and when I did get it it only activated the turbo boost in certain racing games or let me perform special actions like throw elbows in a basketball game.

The Sega CD failed because almost immediately after it released the 32X was coming down the pipe and almost immediately after that, the Saturn. Nobody was trying to produce anything for that system when the company that released it kept putting out other devices and calling those device better. PC games used to come on floppies, then diskettes, and then discs. People didn't start using discs because Sony made them standard on the PSX. The industry was headed that route because the medium was cheaper to produce for and you could store higher capacity data and full motion video. Don't act as if Sony hadn't put a disc drive in their system, no one would be using discs right now. :rudy:

"Experts" have been chirping about fragmentation on Android devices for years now. Yet, with each passing year, more and more people buy those phones and you see more and more devices running Android. It's because consumers decide whether or not price and functionality matter and they want a piece of both of those things.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:rudy: We didn't have games to take advatage of analog sticks? Bro, you are trying to tell me that Mario 64 happened because of the analog stick as opposed to the other way around? :heh: Stop it. Games did take advantage of "joysticks". I recall Pacman doing just fine on the Atari. It wasn't widely used because the industry as a whole was unstable, and up until the bottom fell out right before Nintendo finally took over, there wasn't a standard anything. Don't act like analog sticks were simply made standard. We went through the Nintendo, SNES, and Sega before they showed up and that was because of 3D gaming environments.
Joysticks =/= anolog sticks. Had Nintendo NOT decided to use anolog sticks standard, then Mario 64 would t have been made. Or at least it wouldn't have played how it does.

Added buttons were never a gimmick and you didn't have to pay extra for them. Stop it. I don't recall having a button that I had to pay extra for and when I did get it it only activated the turbo boost in certain racing games or let me perform special actions like throw elbows in a basketball game.
You had to go buy a new controller that came with the extra buttons. Those buttons were never used for ANYTHING revolutionary until the sega Saturn packaged them with the system.

The Sega CD failed because almost immediately after it released the 32X was coming down the pipe and almost immediately after that, the Saturn. Nobody was trying to produce anything for that system when the company that released it kept putting out other devices and calling those device better. PC games used to come on floppies, then diskettes, and then discs. People didn't start using discs because Sony made them standard on the PSX. The industry was headed that route because the medium was cheaper to produce for and you could store higher capacity data and full motion video. Don't act as if Sony hadn't put a disc drive in their system, no one would be using discs right now. :rudy:
I didn't say no one would be using discs. I said games that fully utilized discs didn't come along until AFTER discs became standard.

"Experts" have been chirping about fragmentation on Android devices for years now. Yet, with each passing year, more and more people buy those phones and you see more and more devices running Android. It's because consumers decide whether or not price and functionality matter and they want a piece of both of those things.
People buy them, but that does not mean they are getting the best experience, nor does it mean devs really put time into makig apps that take advantage of each individual phone. Fragmentation makes it so they just develop for the lowest common specs/capabilities. Users of low end android phones have very limited apps to choose from and users of high end phones have their apps limited so that lesser phones can run them.

Let me ask you this:

If this concept is so asinine and not based in realty then why do so many tech experts, developers, writers, investors and everyone else believe it to be true?

And name one optional "add on" that did not fail:popcorn:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
The Phoenix has fallen off, Olympus has fallen :deadhorse:
Yes, nobody bought the PSeye for PS3, nobody bought move.
Nobody asked for the tech is your words (even tho they never had a poll for you to vote)

And with those failures they still was gonna include it and made there every controller compatible with lights n shyt. So what history do you think sony is going off of. Your history. Or the history of the Wii and Kinect?

As for fewer choices, YOU ARE THE GUY saying you don't want this "choice" aka you want less than what they want to give you. Sure, you haven't even tried it yet, but your sure nobody wants it :laff:...
What history?
Yeah, what history :yawn:

Never in history have I seen so many "gamers" talk as if they have a hand in the creation process of games. When was it ever like that? What I'm seeing is Xbox is trying to innovate and people are hating on something they know little about. You say Meach is trying so hard :what:
Nah bruh, you trying too hard. Once that good Xbox hits stores and you rocking one full-time? You'll talk about it. See you then :salute:
Olympus Down said:
the Saturn. Nobody was trying to produce anything for that system when the company that released it kept putting out other devices and calling those device better.
Yeah the Saturn came out costing $400 when that was unheard of. Thats why it failed, but your version did bring me a good laugh :russ:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Joysticks =/= anolog sticks. Had Nintendo NOT decided to use anolog sticks standard, then Mario 64 would t have been made. Or at least it wouldn't have played how it does.
:heh: You are honestly trying to argue that Nintendo was about to drop another 2D mario game at that point in time? When the PSX and 3D games already on the market :rudy: Nintendo wanted to give their games better control so they put it on the system. That simple.

You had to go buy a new controller that came with the extra buttons. Those buttons were never used for ANYTHING revolutionary until the sega Saturn packaged them with the system.
:comeon: Revolutionary? Like what? They were just extra buttons... What were they doing that was so revolutionary. Hell, we rocked the 6 button gamepad on Street Fighter 2 on the Genesis before the Saturn game out. Nothing revolutionary. Just more buttons. Stop trying to act like added buttons are the same thing as having an analog stick.

I didn't say no one would be using discs. I said games that fully utilized discs didn't come along until AFTER discs became standard.
:dahell: The Sega CD did fully utilize the discs. It's just that no one bought it for reasons I've already explained.

People buy them, but that does not mean they are getting the best experience, nor does it mean devs really put time into makig apps that take advantage of each individual phone. Fragmentation makes it so they just develop for the lowest common specs/capabilities. Users of low end android phones have very limited apps to choose from and users of high end phones have their apps limited so that lesser phones can run them.

Let me ask you this:

If this concept is so asinine and not based in realty then why do so many tech experts, developers, writers, investors and everyone else believe it to be true?
Sure guy....those Gingerbread users sure are having a hard time using Facebook, Vine, Instagram, Granny Smith, and Google Earth. Stop it bro. In the initial days of Gingerbread when it started to come on everything and people couldn't upgrade from Froyo handsets, you may have had a point. Stop acting like these people aren't able to run the vast majority of their applications.
And name one optional "add on" that did not fail:popcorn:
Ummm....the Kinect :stopitslime: