Sony plunged $10 billion after its PS5 sales cut. But a bigger issue is its near decade low games margin

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
When Xbox leader has to have a rush meeting on a podcast as brand ambassadors and fans rage that's the stan in me talking right?
Yes, precisely. That whole thing was console warrior driven nonsense.

There is no strategic value in Sony or even Nintendo putting their games on Xbox so no they aren't rushing to put games on all platforms. They just added a single platform, PC.
Again. Sonys biggest gaming move as of late was to make xbox games. You keep ignoring this reality cause it doesn’t fit into your narrative.
The reality is this Xbox's business faltered first so they added games to PC and are now adding games to Switch and PlayStation. This wasn't a genius move they made at the best of times these moves came at lower and lower points and they were concessions.
Microsoft has been putting games on those systems for over a decade.

Again, you ignore reality cause it doesn’t fit your narrative
This is like two bothers and one is obese. He goes to the doctor and the doctor says you gotta lose weight or you will die. Years later the second brother becomes obese and the doctor says the same thing. The second brother isn't copying the first. They both ran into the same problem and the solution was obvious each time. It just happened to one before the other.
If the first brother successfully got his shyt together, best believe the second brother would “follow” some of the methods of the first. You wouldn’t then argue that the first brother “failed and lost” and the second brother was a beacon of success. :stopitslime:

All the years of the second brother clowning the first for being fat, now he’s in the same place looking for advice. :wow:

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ultimately as you've over and over again suggested Microsoft has a path as a third party developer if none of what they're doing works out. Does Sony have that path if things don't change?

Well, the only place sony can pivot is pc, nintendo platforms don’t sell 3rd party games in masssive quantities or can’t run them and the xbox hardware isn’t viable anymore. with Such a small install base its not even worth it to port games there

Not really the same situation

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm kind of dumb but isn't this why Sony studios tend to like doing remakes/remasters and now smaller spin offs(Miles Morales, Lost Legacy) while they're doing a sequel or new IP? :skip: U know to make some quick easy money to fund bigger stuff? Idk I'm dumb though so if this is just Sony Stan jive talk then

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
The issue behind it all stands from how Microsoft and Sony view their gaming platforms and thus, reliance on them. The Playstation is the star for Sony. One thing that I'd noticed though and I've made mention to it is that a lot of Sony fans only championed the big games. Many games comes out that are good AA games everywhere that deserves a look. Pacific Drive, console exclusive is coming out this week on the PS5. Who is getting it, besides me?

I've said it before, Sony really only has two evergreen franchises, Spiderman and God of War. Everything else is transactional with their fan base that only buys Playstation consoles. Jim Ryan was preaching that what Playstation is now is not enough. Maybe not to go so hard in GAAS games but he had the right idea in theory.

Sony cultivated the fan base that could potentially lead to their demise. The AAA single party game was the mantra and everything else was disregarded. Anyone here besides me own the Gravity Rush games on ps4? Everybody Golf? Drive Club? Dreams?

What is Sony's identity when they can't (like now) fully invest in an AAA game on the PS5 that isn't Spiderman?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The issue behind it all stands from how Microsoft and Sony view their gaming platforms and thus, reliance on them. The Playstation is the star for Sony. One thing that I'd noticed though and I've made mention to it is that a lot of Sony fans only championed the big games. Many games comes out that are good AA games everywhere that deserves a look. Pacific Drive, console exclusive is coming out this week on the PS5. Who is getting it, besides me?

I've said it before, Sony really only has two evergreen franchises, Spiderman and God of War. Everything else is transactional with their fan base that only buys Playstation consoles. Jim Ryan was preaching that what Playstation is now is not enough. Maybe not to go so hard in GAAS games but he had the right idea in theory.

Sony cultivated the fan base that could potentially lead to their demise. The AAA single party game was the mantra and everything else was disregarded. Anyone here besides me own the Gravity Rush games on ps4? Everybody Golf? Drive Club? Dreams?

What is Sony's identity when they can't (like now) fully invest in an AAA game on the PS5 that isn't Spiderman?
You're typically off 8 times out of 10 so everyone can disregard this think piece.:skip:

This Sony fan here was clowned for stanning and actually ENJOYING Driveclub. Gravity Rush was one of my favorite PS Vita games.

Dreams was something I hyped up and bought. PS All Stars Battle Royale anyone? Knack??

and it's WILD to say Sony only has two evergreen franchises.

Like breh, The Last of Us, Uncharted and HORIZON catching deadly strays :wow:

As of Feb 2022 from the leaks:

JMEWWvk.png

DEADLY strays :dead:

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Who is getting it, besides me?

Have you even posted in the Pacific Drive thread, that I created? :coffee:

Spoilers:
no you haven’t

I've said it before, Sony really only has two evergreen franchises, Spiderman and God of War. Everything

Also, not true. Look at the top downloaded games on playstation last month

A lot of people love talking about the gaming business here but don’t actually talk about playing games for some reason 🤔

MoshpitMazi

Moshpit Gxng/ Anti Fash
Daps
Reppin
Stone Mountain GA

It's odd that they don't push variance. I'm a video game fan first and I liked the days of owning syphon filter resistance and others. It was those quality games that gave Sony the lead they have in the first place.

These corporations (microsoft included) be forgetting about who and what makes them money and then wonder why they in sticky situations.

Hope Sony is able to pivot, we need more console makers and publishers not less.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
You're typically off 8 times out of 10 so everyone can disregard this think piece.:skip:
No, I'm not. Even when my specific methods of how Microsoft will achieve their goal don't come to fruition, it still boils down to the same fact. Trillion Dollar company vs Billion Dollar company. Sony has done admirably well to stay ahead of the curve of Microsoft. However, it's a case of the boiling frog analogy and once the frog knows it's in trouble, it's too late. Where is game development going in the future? AI. Who made the largest investment in AI? Microsoft. Eventually, having the most money and being the biggest software company in the world was going to matter. I've never said that it was because of some game or library of games that was going to ultimately set Microsoft apart from Sony or anyone else. It's always been about the cash and their willingness to spend and stick it out.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No, I'm not. Even when my specific methods of how Microsoft will achieve their goal don't come to fruition, it still boils down to the same fact. Trillion Dollar company vs Billion Dollar company. Sony has done admirably well to stay ahead of the curve of Microsoft. However, it's a case of the boiling frog analogy and once the frog knows it's in trouble, it's too late. Where is game development going in the future? AI. Who made the largest investment in AI? Microsoft. Eventually, having the most money and being the biggest software company in the world was going to matter. I've never said that it was because of some game or library of games that was going to ultimately set Microsoft apart from Sony or anyone else. It's always been about the cash and their willingness to spend and stick it out.
Ummm.. Yeah :pachaha:

You were patently incorrect with your "Sony only has two evergreen franchises" comment.

Like, this isn't just a minor semantic quibble, you were completely wrong. How the hell someone will listen to what you say if you don't even have that part right? TLOU and others being "lil nikka'd" completely destroyed your point.

The rest of your comment here is just typical Jim Cramer esque babble.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Bro really stay posting these concern trolling financial articles at 2 am

Its a holiday breh, go outside and do something productive :picard:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In the future, its about software services. Microsoft is a software company, Sony is a hardware company. Sony has no real role in the future of gaming.

No, if you look at their financial sheet, their healthcare insurance business is what keeps them afloat. Its well documented that the PS3 wiped out the monetary gains of the PS1 and PS2 and then some. You Sony fans are speaking to me as if y'all are stuck on Gamefan/EGM mode, showing your boys some hot new games at lunch time type shyt. Those days are over. These game machines are more than just games now. You are not thinking big picture. However, to speak on games for a minute, Microsoft has been building up for next gen as far as studios.

Moreover, why do you think that even in this day and age, the average game still looks better on the 360? Its the development tools. Why? Microsoft is a software company. Sony is outmanned and outgunned at every juncture now. Somewhere along the way, Sony forgot how to market their gaming, forgot how to make a great new selling IP that the masses would enjoy and in turn, people have forgotten about Sony.

In both cases for Microsoft and Sony, the gamers in both departments have left. Seamus Blakely and J. Allard and Ken Kutaragi for Sony. What is left is what their core competencies are. This is a software driven electronic world now that promotes synergy. Xbox Next and Windows 8 is going to work every well together, what is Sony going to work with? Why is Sony, a movie studio, getting undressed at media by Microsoft? They have the money to do so.

Point being, what microsoft is going to do with their next consoles will make us go :ohhh::mindblown::ooh::bow: while Sony's will go :merchant:

tag_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

You will be one of the few doing that exclusively, Microsoft is here and the green reign is upon is.

This is when Sony gets pummeled. They had to choice in the matter. The green enterprise is about to land.
:mjlol:

These posts are about 10 to 12 years old. It's at a point where now Phil Spencer is port begging :mjlol:

Loud and wrong personified. FURU head asses :mjlol: