Sony is Trying to Sell PlayStation Vue [Service shutting down Jan. 2020]

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
If you're subbed to YoutubeTV, do you have to download a different YT app or does it automatically work within the standard YT app?

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
The name was stupid imo. :yeshrug:

People hear Playstation and think of videogames. Bad branding. Once it became available on Roku, and other streaming apps they should've re-branded it. People see it on their Firestick like, "why is Playstation on here"

Should've called it Sony Vue.
I don’t know the ins and outs of this business, but I’m 100% sure that this was a big part of it.

I told a few people that I dropped Time Warner for PS Vue a few years ago and the first thing that they thought was that it was a gaming app of some kind. And that’s understandable if you take the name at face value.

Like you said if they had of branded it as “Sony Vue” and as a “cut the cord” service I think it would have cut a lot of confusion about it and a lot of people would have been drawn to the “Sony” name as a quality alternative

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
The fact that people still can't do math is alarming...if you have to pay for internet still (assuming that's $50-75 a month), how doesn't it make more sense to get a cable package vs. a streaming service? It only makes sense if it's just you lonely, no wife, kids, or roommates or whatever because you can just use a phone hotspot for internet to save money and only have to worry about one device streaming at a time. Even then it would be dumb because if it's just you then you have all the time in the world to just put Kodi on everything and call it a day.

After taxes and fees I pay $104/month ($10 off of that with autopay) for Gigabit internet, 4 FiOS channel packages, and a house phone. If you get SlingTV, Vue, or whatever, + still having to pay someone for internet service then you're paying the same exact price pretty much, it's less convenient, and you're limited on how many devices you can use at once

And I'm speaking from experience... I've researched/used all the combinations and still made sense to go back to cable. The only streaming services I kept were Netflix and Amazon Video because they're "free"

Cable services have fees to simply view HD content from when I used to rock with them. The price would also increase significantly over time, because they sign you up on a promotional deal for 6,12, 24 months and after that you have to change your plan or else the price is wild.

PSVue was a good alternative for me because the sports package, quality, no HD fees, and it could be streamed on 5 devices simultaneously. The HD fee per month for me alone would have been like $21 ($7 per box in 3 rooms) on top of the service fee.

I think that's different now, and that they have streaming apps that allow you to bypass those fees, but it was a salesperson who told me that the last time I updated my plan so I don't know if they were trying to finesse me or not

:jbhmm:

Every 24 months you can get the new customer price by just asking so there's never an increase. As far as paying for the boxes you just get one hd box then put streaming devices in the other rooms that use the cable service's app.

Also, you spend $50-60 on a used router from eBay to save another $10 a month for the router rental fee and do autopay to save another $10

I looked it up earlier this year. The cable companies no longer care if you threaten to leave for another cable company.to get a lower price. They not budging on the price.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Don't have these problems

Got a Mexican to hook my internet up at 200mbs down for a one time fee of $220 over 3 years ago, haven't had to pay for internet again

Plus went on reddit and copped the Hulu live for one time payment of $6 :win:

Catch up

How is that possible?

In my area its spectrum, so I think their workers sell modded routers that bypass and allow internet, cuz he came Inatalled a router and modem and that was it, took less then 15mins, I was good to go, never had to pay again

Damn, wish I could get something like that here. I'm sick of paying for comcast.

Go on offer up and search internet, idk where u live but over here there are alot of em that do it, you'll see if it's a guy doing it, they'll offer it In tiers of speed, and they'll say one time fee

@1970s HeRon Flow How do you avoid being caught by spectrum? How do you know you can trust a random stranger to come in your house & install bootleg internet? Is there an option to add Spectrum cable TV?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
They're separate apps. It makes Hulu more appealing to me since you get their live service along with their streaming content in one app.
I still will use my PS4 in my studio space for streaming this, so I'm looking for something that has a PS4 application, so I know HULU has one, is there one for YoutubeTV for PS4?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don’t know the ins and outs of this business, but I’m 100% sure that this was a big part of it.

I told a few people that I dropped Time Warner for PS Vue a few years ago and the first thing that they thought was that it was a gaming app of some kind. And that’s understandable if you take the name at face value.

Like you said if they had of branded it as “Sony Vue” and as a “cut the cord” service I think it would have cut a lot of confusion about it and a lot of people would have been drawn to the “Sony” name as a quality alternative
I remember they ran ads and commercials trying to clearly state that users didn't need a Playstation to use the service. I'm so used to tech and all of this stuff, I didn't really think about it from this standpoint, but the name probably definitely hindered some people from considering it just because of the association with gaming that Playstation brings.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I still will use my PS4 in my studio space for streaming this, so I'm looking for something that has a PS4 application, so I know HULU has one, is there one for YoutubeTV for PS4?

None not even Hulu live. They were the competition to Vue. But now that Vue going in a body bag Sony might allow those services for their consoles.

1970s HeRon Flow

Takin Penitentiary Chances
Daps
Reppin
Down Slauson Ave
@1970s HeRon Flow How do you avoid being caught by spectrum? How do you know you can trust a random stranger to come in your house & install bootleg internet? Is there an option to add Spectrum cable TV?
If I remember correctly, there is almost no way of them even knowing ur on it unless someone physically checks ur house, I've had it for 3+ years and so has my pops that first put me on to his guy, I also recommended him to most of my friends and they've done it and never had any issues

If ur prewired it should take the guy less then 15mins, he's literally gonna just bring out his modem and router and install it, ask u what u want the password to be and he does some shyt on his laptop to set it up and then that's it

They also offer cable I believe, it was about pricier from what I remember, I think like $300+ for a whole year and have every premium channel and package, I dont want TV so I didn't get it

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Spectrum no longer offers prorated bills when downgrading/cancelling services. Of course I’d find that out while trying to cut the cord plus I see this:francis: