Sony is Trying to Sell PlayStation Vue [Service shutting down Jan. 2020]

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The fact that people still can't do math is alarming...if you have to pay for internet still (assuming that's $50-75 a month), how doesn't it make more sense to get a cable package vs. a streaming service? It only makes sense if it's just you lonely, no wife, kids, or roommates or whatever because you can just use a phone hotspot for internet to save money and only have to worry about one device streaming at a time. Even then it would be dumb because if it's just you then you have all the time in the world to just put Kodi on everything and call it a day.

After taxes and fees I pay $104/month ($10 off of that with autopay) for Gigabit internet, 4 FiOS channel packages, and a house phone. If you get SlingTV, Vue, or whatever, + still having to pay someone for internet service then you're paying the same exact price pretty much, it's less convenient, and you're limited on how many devices you can use at once

And I'm speaking from experience... I've researched/used all the combinations and still made sense to go back to cable. The only streaming services I kept were Netflix and Amazon Video because they're "free"
Cable services have fees to simply view HD content from when I used to rock with them. The price would also increase significantly over time, because they sign you up on a promotional deal for 6,12, 24 months and after that you have to change your plan or else the price is wild.

PSVue was a good alternative for me because the sports package, quality, no HD fees, and it could be streamed on 5 devices simultaneously. The HD fee per month for me alone would have been like $21 ($7 per box in 3 rooms) on top of the service fee.

I think that's different now, and that they have streaming apps that allow you to bypass those fees, but it was a salesperson who told me that the last time I updated my plan so I don't know if they were trying to finesse me or not

:jbhmm:

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Every 24 months you can get the new customer price by just asking so there's never an increase. As far as paying for the boxes you just get one hd box then put streaming devices in the other rooms that use the cable service's app.

Also, you spend $50-60 on a used router from eBay to save another $10 a month for the router rental fee and do autopay to save another $10

Monk

Rookie
Daps
Used it for a bit but moved to Sling after it lost a bunch of channels and never looked back

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
Remember When The Talking Point Was Playstations Only Focus Was On Games When XBOX Was Doing The TV Thing lol

Also The Disney HULU Combo Still Cant Give You A Live TV Stream So How Is It A Competitor?
The funny thing is, PS Vue has no relation to the PlayStation outside of the name. It was probably the biggest mistake they made because most people thought you needed a PlayStation to use the service. Also HULU has a live TV service. There's been no word of you can bundle that with Disney + though. But you get live TV and the Hulu library

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
I’ve had it for 2 years now and I don’t think I could ever go back to cable. They basically have the channels that I watch...but I have noticed slight price increases..they ain’t slick.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I had it for like a year when it first dropped.
They had the GOAT DVR features. Unlimited space and I liked the way you could tape everything of a certain genre
Come home from vacation and have literally every televised game from the previous week waiting :blessed:
Ultimately I had to drop it for fios cause comcast was charging me $80 for broadband and it just ain't make sense
Plus it had some weird thing where certain channels would randomly show a wait please screen during commercials (mostly espn)