Sony is literally building AAA studios not buying them

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They own the IP and they are making an exclusive for Sony. :why:
Y'all keep saying this but the option still exist to own both the IP and the studio. Also when has Sony ever really done anything with an IP they owned after they stopped dealing with the studio?

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If you’re going to invest in something then you should seek to own it. Giving a studio money to build them up so they can be “free” is stupid.
What the fukk are you talking about? They own the IP.

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Y'all keep saying this but the option still exist to own both the IP and the studio. Also when has Sony ever really done anything with an IP they owned after they stopped dealing with the studio?
Why should they own the studio when the IP is more important? If the studio gets bought by Microsoft, they can always hire another developer to make it and Microsoft will have to develop their own brand new IP from scratch.

If Sony were to buy Treyarch right now and Activision gave the Call of Duty franchise to some no name talented developer who can make another good Call of Duty game, the game will still sell millions and make billions for Actvision. There are only a few studios like Rockstar and possibly Naughty Dog whose names are just as big as their IP. Vast majority of studios aren’t.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't think you're looking at this from the context of a business model. Sony is basically asking itself: Do we want to run a software development arm or do we simply want more games for Playstation. If they simply want more games for Playstation then it makes sense to nurture certain talent, fund development/publish, but keep them independent.

Why? Because you don't have to actually run the studio. You don't have to worry about Recruiting, HR function, real estate, etc...you bring the check book, set the terms, and the independent developer gets it done.

Now can they just run off after a successful project? Yes. It's a huge risk but what's also a risk is putting all your capital up to run a studio because those costs don't just disappear if a game is a dud.

What if I get a 10 year lease on a building for a smoking hot studio but they have severe attrition and the next couple releases suck balls and I'm in the negative financially...now I gotta disbanded the studio and figure out the lease, office furniture, utilities, etc.

If I simply publish the game which means I own the IP, I don't have any of those worries. I just set the expectation, cut the check, and have my goons do progress checks or maybe even have my own staff embedded in the project.

In the end, both models can work but both can fail as we saw Microsoft flounder with "owning the goose" aka Bungie, Rare, FASA, Lionhead,etc and we seen them flounder with owning the IP "PGR".
Microsoft's issue was always that they intervened in how studios were ran and dictated to them what they could or couldn't make to an extreme degree. They'd have studios at their company dedicated to only making certain games and those creators could never really do anything else. Eventually studios like that bleed out talent.
What the fukk are you talking about? They own the IP.
Name an example of an IP Sony actively develops that's not from a studio they own and that IP was handed off to another studio. You look at all the big Sony franchises and they come from studios Sony already owned when the games were made. The only real studios Sony had working that way that made franchises Sony stuck with were Insomniac and Sucker Punch and Sony ended up buying both of them.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Why would they need to take on the risk and the operating cost of the studio exactly? :gucci:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
There are only a few studios like Rockstar and possibly Naughty Dog whose names are just as big as their IP. Vast majority of studios aren’t.
That's because most studios aren't really in a place where they can thrive and grow. Many of them go through the Bioware model where they make good games, a larger company buys them and executive meddling and dictating take place. Eventually the studio is making games they have no business making or their games are compromised and flops happen. The publisher blames the studio and the threat of dissolving them becomes a real possibility. It's either that or the meddling causes core leadership to leave and the studio is just a name legacy over different leadership. Rare for example. It's a name but it's not the same people from the Nintendo days. Even the founders are gone.

The reason Sony has a studio like Naughty Dog is because they are a place where a studio can thrive. Sony wants to sell consoles so they can sell games and that lends itself to being a place where a studio can better develop ideas and Sony is more willing to take risk with those ideas. The style of games that have become Sony's signature aren't games major third party publishers really even want to make.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

The fact is you have the IP forever to do whatever you want with it. For example, they are making a tv show based on Twisted Metal, they haven’t made a twisted metal in two consoles gens, but they can still market the IP and if need be take an existing studio or partner studio and make a new game. Which they most likely will do to tie into the shows release.

'Twisted Metal' Show From 'Deadpool' Writers in the Works (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

If you followed the Sony fiscal reports and future growth chart you would see that they are trying to leverage their IP into films and tv (sony is an entertainment company) which is why sony animation is working with pixelopus on their new game. They are looking for division synergy and that relies on having extensive catalogue of IP.

Sony Pictures Developing 3 Movies, 7 TV Shows Based On PlayStation Games

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
This should be applauded. They are funding the creation of bunch of brand new AAA studios without the intention of owning them and consolidating them into sony game factories. This is good business...and even better for the industry as a whole

I predict in less than 2 weeks you'll make a thread contradicting this threads point :wow:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Even if they eventually buy them it’s still a studio they built and gave the option to be bought. Thats pretty much the biggest difference

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Yeah, even their smaller games were sony funded so this is all in line with what they’ve been saying
But here is what you said...
Gizmo sucks said:
This should be applauded. They are funding the creation of bunch of brand new AAA studios without the intention of owning them and consolidating them into sony game factories. This is good business...and even better for the industry as a whole
I'm not even gonna add one of my patented soliloquies, I'm gonna let you talk :therethere: