Sony is literally building AAA studios not buying them

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:mjlol:

MS resume with purchased studios says they may need to follow Sony's lead - invest in a studio while allowing them to maintain their autonomy. That's why Sony is delivering and MS is meme status.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Sony’s new partner studios dont have their games out before microsoft gets starfield out in a playable state

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
:mjlol:

MS resume with purchased studios says they may need to follow Sony's lead - invest in a studio while allowing them to maintain their autonomy. That's why Sony is delivering and MS is meme status.
Checks threads of Sony stans anticipating psychonaughts 2 and deathloop.

Realizes this is you doing stan babble. :mjlol:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They own the IP which is more valuable

Similar to Kojima productions. They invested in Death Stranding and own it from this point on, and own the engine is was built on.

If Microsoft wants kojima they have to get him without the IP and Engine he’s worked on for 4+ years.

And if they buy Kojima productions they will be buying a shell of a company because KP if kojima decides to ever retire and make theme parks or movies, isn’t really much of a company and you can’t own the heads of a company.

IP will always trump talent, talent can leave anytime they want
I would say owning both the studio and IP is more valuable than just owning the IP. If I give someone money to build a business I expect ownership.

Also let’s look at a studio like Ready at Dawn. I’d say owning them is more valuable than owning The Order 1886 which is how that played out. Ready at Dawn is now owned by Facebook and created one of the most critically acclaimed VR games in recent history with Lone Echo.

Ninja Theory was more valuable than the IPs Sony still owns that they worked on. Quantic Dream is more valuable than the now defunct IPs they worked on for Sony.

Sony has a history or funding studios for games only to let the studios walk later.

You seem to view the value being the golden egg the goose lays. To me I want the goose that lays the eggs more than an individual egg it laid.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I would say owning both the studio and IP is more valuable than just owning the IP. If I give someone money to build a business I expect ownership.

Also let’s look at a studio like Ready at Dawn. I’d say owning them is more valuable than owning The Order 1886 which is how that played out. Ready at Dawn is now owned by Facebook and created one of the most critically acclaimed VR games in recent history with Lone Echo.

Ninja Theory was more valuable than the IPs Sony still owns that they worked on. Quantic Dream is more valuable than the now defunct IPs they worked on for Sony.

Sony has a history or funding studios for games only to let the studios walk later.

You seem to view the value being the golden egg the goose lays. To me I want the goose that lays the eggs more than an individual egg it laid.

Until the goose stops laying eggs. Ninja theory wouldn’t be valuable without hellblade, that IP is what microsoft is pushing, if sony had that IP what would they have to show for that acquisition?

Same with quantum dream, now that david cage is supposedly problematic, how valuable will he be in the future?

shyt i can even bring this over into movies. Look at john lassester. He was the golden goose of Pixar, invaluable, he gets cancelled and he couldn’t even get a job at blue sky studios making the next ice age, but Pixar still has toy story and finding Nemo.

Of course the combo of IP and Talent is invaluable but like sony did with spider-man they can always find more talent to bring their IP to life

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Until the goose stops laying eggs. Ninja theory wouldn’t be valuable without hellblade, that IP is what microsoft is pushing, if sony had that IP what would they have to show for that acquisition?

Same with quantum dream, now that nick cage is supposedly problematic, how valuable will he be in the future?

shyt i can even bring this over into movies. Look at john lassester. He was the golden goose of Pixar, invaluable, he gets cancelled and he couldn’t even get a job at blue sky studios making the next ice age, but Pixar still has toy story and finding Nemo.

Of course the combo of IP and Talent is invaluable but like sony did with spider-man they can always find more talent to bring their IP to life
Disney owns Pixar and all it makes. That’s better than them just owning Toy Story and Finding Nemo. It’s better to own it all.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Disney owns Pixar and all it makes. That’s better than them just owning Toy Story and Finding Nemo. It’s better to own it all.

Yeah but Disney is gonna make toy story and finding Nemo whether or not the people working at Pixar want to make them.

Deuterion

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LBC

I don't think you're looking at this from the context of a business model. Sony is basically asking itself: Do we want to run a software development arm or do we simply want more games for Playstation. If they simply want more games for Playstation then it makes sense to nurture certain talent, fund development/publish, but keep them independent.

Why? Because you don't have to actually run the studio. You don't have to worry about Recruiting, HR function, real estate, etc...you bring the check book, set the terms, and the independent developer gets it done.

Now can they just run off after a successful project? Yes. It's a huge risk but what's also a risk is putting all your capital up to run a studio because those costs don't just disappear if a game is a dud.

What if I get a 10 year lease on a building for a smoking hot studio but they have severe attrition and the next couple releases suck balls and I'm in the negative financially...now I gotta disbanded the studio and figure out the lease, office furniture, utilities, etc.

If I simply publish the game which means I own the IP, I don't have any of those worries. I just set the expectation, cut the check, and have my goons do progress checks or maybe even have my own staff embedded in the project.

In the end, both models can work but both can fail as we saw Microsoft flounder with "owning the goose" aka Bungie, Rare, FASA, Lionhead,etc and we seen them flounder with owning the IP "PGR".