Sony in Ultra Petty mode: Sony has responded to the CMA's decision to further investigate the acquisition, and says it "welcomes the announcement."

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I'm normally pretty critical about KF's commentary but this guest was really good and this was a good segment recapping everything.

I would argue we got way more evidence of the complete opposite. Where are Ensemble and Lionhead today? Why did their crown jewel, Bungie, leave them for a seemingly worse publisher: Activision? What have all of the acquired studios done since being acquired? Rare, we can at least attribute to being a completely different Rare today with different staff, but Ninja Theory was acquired back in 2018 and Hellblade 2 still doesnt have a release window or much footage out there. Same with State of Decay 2. Then there's all the rumors of the issues over with Avowed and Everwild development being rebooted, Playground struggling with Fable, The Initiative requiring consulting from Crystal Dynamics, the disaster with 343 and Halo Infinite, and more.

It was. Halo was also top shotta in the FPS/multiplayer space. Gears was a huge brand too. Sony had absolutely nothing that could've compared to these brands at the time. All three of these franchises have been dethroned and have completely fallen off with competitors lapping them several times over.

They were still decent games, thats why they dodged a lot of criticism.

100% agreed with all of this.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my wording. I agree with everything you said, we are saying the same thing.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Yeah, I'mma need some receipts for this one, breh. That's a bold claim.
343 Has only sold like 50 million games and produced multiple TV shows movies etc. But since they are slow at bringing out FREE content for infinite, none of that matters :ehh:

Turn 10 has only been the most consistent and successful Sim Racing studio for the last 15 years. But who cares about racing games right:ehh:

Playground has only built the highest rated and most popular arcade racer this side of need for speed, and have now expanded to take on another AAA project to revive an IP you say microsoft should be working on. But whatever that’s just Forza:skip:

Rare, fresh off a 25 million seller and one of the biggest success stories of last gen, has now expanded to multiple teams and multiple projects, but yeah microsoft don’t let their studios make new games :smh:

Like i said y’all truly just live in another universe. You guys make up these narratives and keep repeateaing them till you actually believe them.

Sony stan’s wild :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
343 Has only sold like 50 million games and produced multiple TV shows movies etc. But since they are slow at bringing out FREE content for infinite, none of that matters :ehh:

Turn 10 has only been the most consistent and successful Sim Racing studio for the last 15 years. But who cares about racing games right:ehh:

Playground has only built the highest rated and most popular arcade racer this side of need for speed, and have now expanded to take on another AAA project to revive an IP you say microsoft should be working on. But whatever that’s just Forza:skip:

Rare, fresh off a 25 million seller and one of the biggest success stories of last gen, has now expanded to multiple teams and multiple projects, but yeah microsoft don’t let their studios make new games :smh:

Like i said y’all truly just live in another universe. You guys make up these narratives and keep repeateaing them till you actually believe them.

See? This is why yall shouldn’t really get too deep into arguments with meach and leasy, they will just start straight up lying like we don’t have the internet in front of us :laff:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Let me find out meach one of those guys who deflects with "its free tho" whenever you criticize a F2P game

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
As usual y’all run from the truth and deflect to some whole other shyt just so you can keep repeating the narratives you have built for yourselves :smh:

Nah I'm with you. 343 was the Master P of the gaming industry for a minute. The only thing 343 hasnt done yet was play for the Raptors.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Bruh, you said of all time. None of what you wrote really says they're the most successful of all time.

Especially considering that folks have been saying 343 has been fukking up Halo since they started, and there were two key departures recently.

Playground and Turn 10 are doing fine, but isn't one of them basically in development hell on Fable right now?

And trying to pump up Rare because Sea of Thieves is doing alright is some bullshyt, too. Sea of Thieves was the first meaningful new game they've developed in a decade, and even then, the launch period of the game was ROUGH.

All those studios (maybe 343 aside) are doing alright, and I'm glad to see it, but nowhere near being some of the most successful of all time. Stannery has brehs saying crazy shyt out here. :mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Bruh, you said of all time. None of what you wrote really says they're the most successful of all time.

Especially considering that folks have been saying 343 has been fukking up Halo since they started, and there were two key departures recently.

Playground and Turn 10 are doing fine, but isn't one of them basically in development hell on Fable right now?

And trying to pump up Rare because Sea of Thieves is doing alright is some bullshyt, too. Sea of Thieves was the first meaningful new game they've developed in a decade, and even then, the launch period of the game was ROUGH.

All those studios (maybe 343 aside) are doing alright, and I'm glad to see it, but nowhere near being some of the most successful of all time. Stannery has brehs saying crazy shyt out here. :mjlol:

All that needs to be said about 343 at this point.

03hOguu3Nz6lqCGjtbiZTV3SnQGfZ3lRKj80IBg2dfg.png

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

I said “one of”

Which other gaming franchises have sold 50 million and had a bunch of movies, tv and other media over the last 10 years?

No. You made that up
This isn’t true either. They have had many successful games under microsoft. And are now the largest they’ve ever been managing the largest and most successful game they’ve ever built.
So is Forza not one of the most successful racing series or even game series of all time?

50 million halo games sold, Movies TV coming books, you scoff at that?

Yeah stannary do have you saying some crazy shyt :mjlol:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I said “one of”

Which other gaming franchises have sold 50 million and had a bunch of movies, tv and other media over the last 10 years?

No. You made that up

This isn’t true either. They have had many successful games under microsoft. And are now the largest they’ve ever been managing the largest and most successful game they’ve ever built.

So is Forza not one of the most successful racing series or even game series of all time?

50 million halo games sold, Movies TV coming books, you scoff at that?

Yeah stannary do have you saying some crazy shyt :mjlol:

Jesus Christ, this nikka with the semantics shyt.

And to directly answer your question, no, none of that makes any of those studios some of the most successful of all time.

Matter of fact, the last data I could find was from last year when Microsoft was doing promo work for the Halo series (remember when that was suppose sed to be a Peter Jackson movie? How'd they manage to not make that work?) saying that the series had 81 million copies sold as of early 2021 (the article I saw was dated 2/24/21, so most people would use that as the date). The last check in was from 2012, right before Halo 4 was released, and was at 46 million copies. I don't know any analyst that would say that the series isn't slowing down under 343's leadership. Again, while they're doing well, that definitely isn't "One of the most successful of all time" status.

This is why brehs on here get so aggravated with you. People can be completely fine with Microsoft's output, but because they bother to level valid criticism at them, or acknowledge that they could be executing at a higher level, you start the Fanboy Reality Distortion Field, and atwt calling everyone stans.

It's okay to say that the stuff you like could still be better.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Jesus Christ, this nikka with the semantics shyt.

And to directly answer your question, no, none of that makes any of those studios some of the most successful of all time.
What semantics? There’s no way in hell you can argue a franchise selling 50 million in 10 years isn’t VERY successful in this industry.

I’ll ask again, Which other game franchises have sold that much over the last 10 years and had multiple movie, tv series and other media presence.

Which racing game studios have been more successful than Turn 10 since their inception?
Matter of fact, the last data I could find was from last year when Microsoft was doing promo work for the Halo series (remember when that was suppose sed to be a Peter Jackson movie? How'd they manage to not make that work?) saying that the series had 81 million copies sold as of early 2021 (the article I saw was dated 2/24/21, so most people would use that as the date). The last check in was from 2012, right before Halo 4 was released, and was at 46 million copies. I don't know any analyst that would say that the series isn't slowing down under 343's leadership. Again, while they're doing well, that definitely isn't "One of the most successful of all time" status.
So bungee sold 46 million with 5 games and 343i sold 35 million with 2 gsmes, and somehow it’s “slowing down”

Yes, slowing down :ehh:

This is why brehs on here get so aggravated with you. People can be completely fine with Microsoft's output, but because they bother to level valid criticism at them, or acknowledge that they could be executing at a higher level, you start the Fanboy Reality Distortion Field, and atwt calling everyone stans.

It's okay to say that the stuff you like could still be better.
No, like i said y’all create these narratives around console wars that just aren’t reality. Then you repeat them over and over again till you start believing them.

Very few games or studios have been as successful as 343i and Halo over the last 10 years, and that’s a verifiable fact.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Logic makes no sense. Microsoft has been in console gaming for 20 years. It didn’t take sony 20 years to create a foothold after Nintendos dominance of the 8bit and 16bit era and they didn’t spend 80 billion dollars to do it.

They offered a compelling cheaper platform for developers to make games on and built some of their own studios in the meantime, which most of them are still going.

The generational gap between playstation and xbox is only 7 years, you’re telling me that xbox is so far behind Sony that they could not close that gap without doing what they need to do now? You’re just pro-capitalist
I've already explained to you how Sony effectively was handed market leadership from Nintendo's mistake by the rest of the game industry. Can we please stop pretending Sony was this plucky upstart that quietly wrestled marketshare away from Nintendo by simply making better games until they overtook them. Damn near every third party published major exclusive content on PlayStation for almost 2 full generations.

The narrative that Sony biased fans are pushing Microsoft should do has never happened in the entire video game console industry since. Nobody has overtaken any market leader in any generation portable or home console by simply making good games and that's it. It takes a catastrophic mistake to change the guard. Market leadership is an almost insurmountable advantage that further protects whoever has it from any real threat.

The criticism Microsoft faces boils down to this. They persisted for decades where every other company either completely changed strategies or left the space entirely.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I've already explained to you how Sony effectively was handed market leadership from Nintendo's mistake by the rest of the game industry. Can we please stop pretending Sony was this plucky upstart that quietly wrestled marketshare away from Nintendo by simply making better games until they overtook them. Damn near every third party published major exclusive content on PlayStation for almost 2 full generations.

The narrative that Sony biased fans are pushing Microsoft should do has never happened in the entire video game console industry since. Nobody has overtaken any market leader in any generation portable or home console by simply making good games and that's it. It takes a catastrophic mistake to change the guard. Market leadership is an almost insurmountable advantage that further protects whoever has it from any real threat.

The criticism Microsoft faces boils down to this. They persisted for decades where every other company either completely changed strategies or left the space entirely.

Why does microsoft have to overthrow sony in one generation? They had 20 years to build up a competent first party line up and good 3rd party relationships.

Everything they’re doing now is simply born out of desperation and because they have the money to do it. They simply are just trying to lower the value proposition of single big games so they can roll out service oriented multiplayer that fit their service. The more people start to turn their noses up at game prices the better they look, and eventually you’ll be no better off than the mobile gaming market.

Microsoft doesn’t care about gaming anymore than Sony, but Sonys method of delivering games is overall better for the market long term and pushing out high quality products.

A game like God of War Ragnarok will not exist if subscription gaming takes over. Big Budget single player games have no place launching on subscription services and the only reason why they are launching starfield on it is because its all already been set in motion so they figure it’ll be a test to see if it increases subs. Most likely they’ll do early access to cover the lost funds from it and claim its still launching day 1 on gamepass.

I bet anything that BGS next game after Starfield is Starfield Online and not elder scrolls or fallout