SONY Execs Warned Not To Cast Denzel Washington In Big Budget Movies Because Black Leads Flop

Opus

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon: because those movies didn't star Will Smith.
:comeon: because those movies didn't star Will Smith.

Well that's one way of looking at it, but he's the only guy they even give the opportunity to be in those large movies. How do they know other blacks can't carry one. It's almost like Will Smith killed I robot, mib, bad boys, and independence day but instead of it proving blacks can carry a large movie they just said well Will Smith can carry large movies. Never gave anyone else a shot.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
2008du9.jpg

:ohhh::snoop:

not even mad, all them cacs got suckered into a bait and switch :chloey:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
This line of thinking isn't just Sony's it pretty much all of Hollywood's in regards to black actors in big budget films sans Will Smith:yeshrug:. It's not nothing new. Don't get why the article said the producer was "slamming Denzel" when he blamed the "racist overseas market" for the lack of his and other black actors overseas success.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
you're primarly blaming race when its about money. if more black lead movies put out ironman numbers, you'd see more black movies from hollywood
Show me where I blamed anyone. You seem confused. You probably think I'm upset or this bothers me way. You probably think you're shedding light on how this shyt works. I'm not naive, I know it's a numbers game.

Still.. hollywood been racist.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This line of thinking isn't just Sony's it pretty much all of Hollywood's in regards to black actors in big budget films sans Will Smith:yeshrug:. It's not nothing new. Don't get why the article said the producer was "slamming Denzel" when he blamed the "racist overseas market" for the lack of his and other black actors overseas success.
carries over into the video game and comicbook industry as well :yeshrug:

its funny how everyone knows cacs wont support black protags as much, while still claiming there's no such thing as racism. meanwhile, we dont understand the shyt because we grew up on the same white media they grew up on.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
The dude literally said he thought Denzel was the best actor around and a safe domestic box office bet, but that the movie would suffer internationally, and it did. The movie hit for 20% lower internationally than is the norm.

Can people read?

Right.. but is that due to race or are there other factors at play (like the movie being rated R)? The Brad PItt flick Fury (also put out through Sony) cost a bit more to make, had a mostly white cast... and didn't pull in as much as The Equalizer... Are we going to blame the lead actors race for that movie not being the big international smash as well?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what excuses are...

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Show me where I blamed anyone. You seem confused. You probably think I'm upset or this bothers me way. You probably think you're shedding light on how this shyt works. I'm not naive, I know it's a numbers game.

Still.. hollywood been racist.

well, if we just wanna make statements about hollywood. they're also sexist and pedophelic :yeshrug:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gonna need those statistics buddy

dont have the stats but the info is in the first post if true

Washington’s The Equalizer grossed $191 million at theaters worldwide, with 47% of the ticket sales coming from outside of the United States. Still, the e-mail chain suggested that the overseas box office percentage was not good enough. Other films should expect 65% of the sales abroad, the analysis said. The reason for the disparity? According to the producer, it was Washington’s race.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
yes.

ask cacs about the handful of black actors they like and it'll be will smith, morgan freeman, denzel washing and samuel jackson. everytime.

exactly... u never hear jeffrey wright or anthony mackie name...it's one black at a time...and halle berry the only black woman ( well half black woman ) they will give a lead but she will have to have a whit knight co-star

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
That producer/s were on some plantationized chit. i don't recall reading about them denigrating white actors past their prime hollywood box office earnings years. and what's with this the actor hitting a double b.s.? no actor kills the numbers or knocks it out the ballpark every project! it's like them comparing an aging slave to not being able to pick so many bales of cotton as in his prime years. seen the avg. age of the expendables cast?