Sony COO: SIA doesn’t have an understanding on how to translate their work into profit.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The schedule of development is the big one. They need AA releases that are on 2-3 year cycles. We should be getting a new Ape Escape every three years, for example.

You can make good AA games with budgets below 40 mill max to recoup. The fact that Arrowhead selling a million copies of Helldivers and greatly exceeding sales expectations is a good example.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You can make good AA games with budgets below 40 mill max to recoup. The fact that Arrowhead selling a million copies of Helldivers and greatly exceeding sales expectations is a good example.

HD2 is kind of an example of what i mean though. It’s a smaller game and it will make money but it took 8 years to make, and thats a game that has additional monetization attached to it.

Imagine a studio taking 6 years to make a new kena game and it sells for 35 dollars? That really doesn’t make much of a difference when we’re talking about SIE’s bottom line

Its nice to want those things (i love those games) but they really ain’t the solution to this problem

Jim Ryan had the right idea. The solution is successful live service games.

Daps
I’m saying that the output won’t increase with smaller games and the profits margins won’t greatly increase selling 500-1.5 million copies of a 30 dollars game
Sony knows how to market. They need to sell 3-5M copies, not 500K copies.

They don't need to be Nintendo selling 10M copies of 2D Zelda and Mario, but they can do better than Xbox selling 500K copies of HFR.

As for the output not increasing, that's wild to say. If they put more studios on making more games, the output will increase. TF are you talking about? I want them greenlighting games other than AAA and GaaS. They need to build variety in their portfolio.

Where is Team Asobi with a smaller scope game like Astro's Playroom, maybe 20 hours instead of 5-10? That would fill a key gap in the release schedule and be a good game. It also would cost less to make.

The idea that Sony can't build AA IP to sell 3-5M like they've built AAA IP to sell 15-20M is nonsense.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

They don't need to be Nintendo selling 10M copies of 2D Zelda and Mario, but they can do better than Xbox selling 500K copies of HFR.

As for the output not increasing, that's wild to say. If they put more studios on making more games, the output will increase. TF are you talking about? I want them greenlighting games other than AAA and GaaS. They need to build variety in their portfolio.

Where is Team Asobi with a smaller scope game like Astro's Playroom, maybe 20 hours instead of 5-10? That would fill a key gap in the release schedule and be a good game. It also would cost less to make.

The idea that Sony can't build AA IP to sell 3-5M like they've built AAA IP to sell 15-20M is nonsense.
I think they can but in today's day and age I don't see 3-5mill happening on a non GAAS game. But you a mill or two on a lower budgeted AA game is very feasible.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

We’ve been through this for 3 decades though. Sony’s AA games even before Uncharted pushed Sony in the direction they’re in now never sold like that. You can look at the insomniac leaks, a lot of those games yall love did a quarter million in sales.

There’s a reason why the biggest selling franchise for playstation for 3 generations was Gran Turismo.

Ex. Rift Apart sold 5 million copies and it cost 80 million dollars to develop. Thats their AA games

ALonelyDad

Veteran
Daps
Not saying they should stop making AAA games, and nowhere did I say that. Even Nintendo makes AAA games (see the latest 3D Zelda games as an example).

But what I did say was that AA games are necessary. I don't expect Sony to develop an AA release and sell 11M copies in its first quarter of release like Mario Bros. Wonder.

I do expect them to develop a handful of AA IP that they can fill release gaps with and that, properly budgeted, will allow them to sell 3-5M copies at or near full price and get those profit margins up.
Will the base accept that? It might have at one point but I don’t think it’s the case anymore. Only Nintendo can get away with it outside of an outlier by the other big two.

One of the best games recently, Prince of Persia is struggling to sell, people like AAA. It’s only online where I hear complaints about more Japanese games, more AA games but they don’t sell. Content wise I don’t disagree, but it isn’t really gonna help make profit

Daps
We’ve been through this for 3 decades though. Sony’s AA games even before Uncharted pushed Sony in the direction they’re in now never sold like that. You can look at the insomniac leaks, a lot of those games yall love did a quarter million in sales.

There’s a reason why the biggest selling franchise for playstation for 3 generations was Gran Turismo.

Ex. Rift Apart sold 5 million copies and it cost 80 million dollars to develop. Thats their AA games
Rift Apart is an expensive tech demo, so it's an outlier.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Will the base accept that? It might have at one point but I don’t think it’s the case anymore

Playstation fans never really wanted those games. Sony’s first party was very un-noteworthy until mid ps3 generation. I think the only franchise that could sell multiples of millions outside of GT was God of War and that was just as big budget back then as it is now, and it sold a 5th of what it sells now

The thing that sold PlayStations were GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Tomb Raider, etc. only difference now is outside of GTA sonys first party eclipses most third party games in sales

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m saying that the output won’t increase with smaller games and the profits margins won’t greatly increase selling 500k-1.5 million copies of a 30 dollars game

The reason they spend so much money on those AAA games is because they sell a lot of copies. Something selling like Sifu, while great for SLO Clap doesn’t really move a needle for a company the size of Sony

People seem to forget the last decade of Japan Studio was a complete money pit
You are incorrect. Even if smaller games take the same amount of time to make, they take much less manpower.

With the same amount of manpower you could make 3 or 4 games in the 6 years it takes to make one spider-man game.

As for profit IDK. Nintendo has created their own market bubble that wouldn’t even compute in any other gaming market.

They keep both their Hardware and Software costs low, and have conditioned their fans to pay top dollar with little expectation for discounts.

That wouldn’t ride in the Playststion/xbox world at all, guess that’s why everybody is going multiplat :manny: