Sony COO: SIA doesn’t have an understanding on how to translate their work into profit.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
2. Get more games in the pipeline. We disagree on how much AA matters, but I think at least for the sake of the release schedule, this needs to happen.

There’s a distinction here to be made.

The double A that sony wants to make (and even classified themselves in the insomniac leak as AA) are things like Lost Legacy and Miles Morales. Those games had a super high ROI because they already invested in the tech and built the current engine its (both studios use proprietary engines that need to be updated every generation) so it saved them a lot of money.

The type of AA I’m referring to that isn’t quite worth it for Sony to pursue are stuff they are currently funding through 2nd party studios. Stuff like Sifu, Stray, Kena, Pacific Drive, etc. they used to make those kind of games in-house but they never made a good ROI

Thats why they shuttered Japan Studio and Pixelopus, those games took forever to make and there was just no audience for them. The same will probably happen to Media Molecule this year.

Not only that but they now have these china, india, and japan indie initiatives where they fund and market smaller developers. It’s just the best way to fill in the AA gaps even if they don’t get the big PS STUDIOS logo on them

Daps
Sony will stay in the console business going forward because they're about to own a lot of the high-end.

The problem is getting costs down in the high end/raising prices without pissing everyone off.

For example, I didn't have a problem with Sony raising the price of their first-party games to $70 (or Nintendo asking for $70 for Tears of the Kingdom) because of the amount of gameplay and the care that all those dev teams put into their games. Games are still cheaper now than they were pretty much at most other times in gaming history, including inflation, but they're also more expensive to make than ever.

You can hear dudes whining about Sony raising game prices and then maybe raising them higher once Microsoft recedes from the console market, but those same dudes also expect cutting edge graphics in their AAA games. :manny: