Sony COO: SIA doesn’t have an understanding on how to translate their work into profit.

Daps
Will the base accept that? It might have at one point but I don’t think it’s the case anymore. Only Nintendo can get away with it outside of an outlier by the other big two.

One of the best games recently, Prince of Persia is struggling to sell, people like AAA. It’s only online where I hear complaints about more Japanese games, more AA games but they don’t sell. Content wise I don’t disagree, but it isn’t really gonna help make profit
If the argument is that only Nintendo fans will buy those games, then SIE is in deep trouble because AAA releases cost too much.

There are things they can do around premium pricing to ameliorate this issue, and they're already doing those things, but the truth is that hardware costs are high and will stay high, so they need to squeeze every drop out of software margins that they can.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If the argument is that only Nintendo fans will buy those games, then SIE is in deep trouble because AAA releases cost too much.

There are things they can do around premium pricing to ameliorate this issue, and they're already doing those things, but the truth is that hardware costs are high and will stay high, so they need to squeeze every drop out of software margins that they can.

The answer was what Jim Ryan has been saying, Live Service. They need games that bring in income year round. A lot of publishers survive off just one big GAAS title alone

Only “core” gamers in these type of spaces think the solution is AA. Execs know the money is in GAAS, they see how much mtx it brings in, you can see it on their financials. People can cringe all they want at 10 live service games but its the number one way to increase revenue without damaging their hardware sales (multiplatform porting) or single player award winning games (putting mtx in them like ubisoft)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, that’s what i said :dwillhuh:

Thats what other people are referring to by AA though. They are talking about stuff like Japan Studio or Nintendo make. Which is unrealistic as far as improving their bottom line

Spinoff games, yeah, and those are being made. But metroidvania last of us probably ain’t gonna cut it

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Sony knows how to market. They need to sell 3-5M copies, not 500K copies.

They don't need to be Nintendo selling 10M copies of 2D Zelda and Mario, but they can do better than Xbox selling 500K copies of HFR.

As for the output not increasing, that's wild to say. If they put more studios on making more games, the output will increase. TF are you talking about? I want them greenlighting games other than AAA and GaaS. They need to build variety in their portfolio.

Where is Team Asobi with a smaller scope game like Astro's Playroom, maybe 20 hours instead of 5-10? That would fill a key gap in the release schedule and be a good game. It also would cost less to make.

The idea that Sony can't build AA IP to sell 3-5M like they've built AAA IP to sell 15-20M is nonsense.
I'm pretty sure that's around where their AA titles were selling and it apparently wasn't enough for them.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Thats what other people are referring to by AA though. They are talking about stuff like Japan Studio or Nintendo make. Which is unrealistic as far as improving their bottom line

Spinoff games, yeah, and those are being made. But metroidvania last of us probably ain’t gonna cut it
This could be quite interesting actually. If sensible levels of medtroidvania tropes could be done within TLOU's grimy, realistic world, it'd be quite the change up from the typical MV game.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Those games could make more profit in the long run. Breaking even on 500Million ain’t it :francis:

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
The answer was what Jim Ryan has been saying, Live Service. They need games that bring in income year round. A lot of publishers survive off just one big GAAS title alone

Only “core” gamers in these type of spaces think the solution is AA. Execs know the money is in GAAS, they see how much mtx it brings in, you can see it on their financials. People can cringe all they want at 10 live service games but its the number one way to increase revenue without damaging their hardware sales (multiplatform porting) or single player award winning games (putting mtx in them like ubisoft)
Right. Which select "core" gamers can't seem to wrap their head around that, despite most games still have a lot more on offer out the gate than they did in the whole, "back in my day" shyt that said core gamers complain about.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This could be quite interesting actually. If sensible levels of medtroidvania tropes could be done within TLOU's grimy, realistic world, it'd be quite the change up from the typical MV game.

If they made it like that game black thorn it could be dope :patrice:

Daps
Double A games that are built off AAA games they already made (ratchet and clank and spider-man)
I do think this strat is a good one.

Probably the immediate plan is to:

1. Establish premium pricing on their first-party releases, PS+ subs, and console (the first two they are in the process of doing; the third will be tricky because U.S. consumers are conditioned not to pay more than 499 USD for a top-end console).

2. Get more games in the pipeline. We disagree on how much AA matters, but I think at least for the sake of the release schedule, this needs to happen.

3. Hit on at least two or three GaaS games that go day-and-date on PC and that are long-runners that print money via micro transactions.

I don't think they'll get drastic with their moves, and GTA VI is going to help them move consoles and alleviate their missed target issues from previous quarters, but hopefully they can right the ship because I enjoy their output.