Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
let me ask yall a quesion.

You programmers, do some of you just work from home, sit on your computer all day, listen to music, and still make good money?

How hard is it to get into? with no experience.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
let me ask yall a quesion.

You programmers, do some of you just work from home, sit on your computer all day, listen to music, and still make good money?

How hard is it to get into? with no experience.

I work from an office with other designers but we have the option to work from home, I prefer to work in the office because I can walk right up to more experience devs and ask them questions as opposed to spending time looking for a solution via Google.

We can listen to music all day long if we choose and there's good money to be made.

You could learn enough in ~4 months to land a job as a junior dev.

It's not difficult to get into and it's very helpful if you have a community to draw knowledge from which is exactly why I think a dedicated dev section would be a great addition to the coli

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
I work from an office with other designers but we have the option to work from home, I prefer to work in the office because I can walk right up to more experience devs and ask them questions as opposed to spending time looking for a solution via Google.

We can listen to music all day long if we choose and there's good money to be made.

You could learn enough in ~4 months to land a job as a junior dev.

It's not difficult to get into and it's very helpful if you have a community to draw knowledge from which is exactly why I think a dedicated dev section would be a great addition to the coli

I'm serious but where would I start? I want to start from stratch and get a gig in 5 months...

but where would I start with this programming stuff? I'm actually ready though the 70-697 right now but I'm uncertain about it. i got the op video on udemy as well as other stuff.

I flip flop between this and networking a lot. deciding whats easier? I need a desk job due to my condition.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I'm serious but where would I start? I want to start from stratch and get a gig in 5 months...

but where would I start with this programming stuff? I'm actually ready though the 70-697 right now but I'm uncertain about it. i got the op video on udemy as well as other stuff.

I flip flop between this and networking a lot. deciding whats easier? I need a desk job due to my condition.

Codecademy.com
Codeschool.com

The first step is deciding which language you want to start with, I'd suggest Python, Ruby or javascript.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
so you just master one language and get a job around that one language? don't you have to know several?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

I wouldn't go with that. If you do not like programming at a all,you'll be highly frustrated.While I'd say 90% of this thread focuses on web development languages.There's different types of programming under Software development. If you go with programming, what type of programs do you want to write?( Mobile apps? Desktop apps? web apps?)

Last edited:

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
so you just master one language and get a job around that one language? don't you have to know several?
I would be willing to help you out. I started from scratch and landed a job in 6 months. I work from home and get to build pretty cool shyt. When I first started learning last summer I thought it would be impossible to break into the industry but if you work CONSISTENTLY at it you will have a chance. The beginning is the hardest part but once you get past that you should be ok. The links others have posted are great but I would recommend either Learn to code and help nonprofits or Learn Web Development for Free Using Ruby on Rails | The Odin Project. If you make it through either of those programs I can basically guarantee you will be hired. The are much more comprehensive then the other sites.

Let me know if you got any questions

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
I wouldn't go with that. If you do not like programming at a all,you'll be highly frustrated.While I'd say 90% of this thread focuses on web development languages.There's different types of programming under Software development. If you go with programming, what type of programs do you want to write?( Mobile apps? Desktop apps? web apps?)

I don't want to write anything, I want to fix stuff. I can do stuff like website maintenance Im not really a creative person, I just do what I'm told honestly.

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
I would be willing to help you out. I started from scratch and landed a job in 6 months. I work from home and get to build pretty cool shyt. When I first started learning last summer I thought it would be impossible to break into the industry but if you work CONSISTENTLY at it you will have a chance. The beginning is the hardest part but once you get past that you should be ok. The links others have posted are great but I would recommend either Learn to code and help nonprofits or Learn Web Development for Free Using Ruby on Rails | The Odin Project. If you make it through either of those programs I can basically guarantee you will be hired. The are much more comprehensive then the other sites.

Let me know if you got any questions

okay the thing about programming to be honest is because I'm older, I think it's good people dont see me because I'm going to get discrimated on due to my age and I'm darkskinned. I'm older than most you guys.

I like the fact that I can work from home alot, can I ask what projects you do? what stuff do you build? the future is in automation so it may be good to learn coding, really important stuff.

Also, I'm actually leaving my job soon and will work just weekends to pay my bills, I can do this all day and that's why I'm leaving the job.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I don't want to write anything, I want to fix stuff. I can do stuff like website maintenance Im not really a creative person, I just do what I'm told honestly.

I meant write as in programming. we use the term interchangeable. So you'll hear that alot

Scott Larock

Daps
Reppin
Hell
So you think it's more age friendly than networking? And I understand writing but what I want to know is what is a usual day like? Are you given a assignment on what to fix or work on and given a deadline to fix it?

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
So you think it's more age friendly than networking? And I understand writing but what I want to know is what is a usual day like? Are you given a assignment on what to fix or work on and given a deadline to fix it?

First Question really depends on the company. If you have the skills most will not care about your age unless you are close to retirement or something.

A usual day , We have what's called Sprints( how long the sprint is depends on the company and the project ) One project may be 6 weeks , another one may be 4 weeks. During that time frame you are assigned tasks/User Stories, example : Implement this business rule ,fix an issue with a common library or refactor this class by taking some of the logic out and put it into another class. Each day we have what's called a Scrum call, which consist of

1.) what did you do since the last call
2.) What do you plan on doing today
3.)Are there any issues holding you back.

The call should be no more than 15-30 minutes. Me personally, now I'm on 3 Scrum calls a day. On my last project we never did Scrum calls. But see I'm speaking from a perspective of working at a company that has 34K+ employees and work with just about any technology you can think of. I'm sure the experience is pretty different at a small shop.

Honestly, I would focus on doing some programming before and seeing if it's really for you. All the other stuff will not matter if you hate programming. I'm 34 now and been programming since I was 15( Shoutout to Qbasic ) and I still have days where I want to throw the computer out the window, with my bonus I'll probably hit $105K this year salary wise, but I would take $70K to work on a game like Battlefield. So not only look at programming, but also look at the type of programming you want to do. My suggestions:

1.) Create a couple of simple projects.
2.) Decide what type of programmer you want to be, just saying I want to program don't cut it anymore. do you want to do Mobile Apps, Desktop Apps or Web apps?
3.) Unless you are 50+, don't worry about the age thing or the type of environment and benefits. If you truly have a passion for programming, none of that will really matter when starting out.
4.) This field constantly requires you to keep learning. I really have no reason to go back to school, but I have plans to work for companies like Nvidia/Google/Dice one day. So just because you know programming dont mean you can just jump to any other type of programming( if that makes sense ).

If you are looking for a quick come up( not saying you are ). I would find another field.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
question for the brehs in here..i have a project in the fall im starting for my client that will require me to sharpen up on my HTML knowledge a little bit...and i definitely need a refresher...best websites for that?