Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I've been on Glassdoor tonight reading all of Google's interview process stuff. It seems that whether you're going for a SRE role or a developer role the interviewers will hit you hard on algorithms and data structures which is advanced math shyt. Much of my calculus/linear algebra knowledge is out of the door since I haven't been to college in about 9 years.

This shyt makes me want to go back to college and take Calc 1/2/3 & Differential Equations just so I can fukking grasp algorithmic concepts and interview. I'd like to interview to Google/Facebook/Dropbox once just to see how I do since they seem to be the hardest in the industry.

Take the Stanford Algorithm design course

Coursera - Free Online Courses From Top Universities

and read this

medium_wqt1395591616.jpg

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/courses/cs20/MIT6_042Notes.pdf

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad this thread is still going and lively. Keep it up. I really can't wait until my time frees up and I can really start focusing on data structures and algorithms.

Right now I have to focus on things like promises, observables and angular 2 testing for work, which is rather time consuming.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Almost done with this one project I got going. I appreciate the advice on this journey so far guys, it's been quite a ride.

Anybody mind pointing out some portfolio's/projects that they think are about average for a Jr. web developer to pull off? front and/or back end is fine. Maybe some of your own? Just trying to find a solid baseline.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Almost done with this one project I got going. I appreciate the advice on this journey so far guys, it's been quite a ride.

Anybody mind pointing out some portfolio's/projects that they think are about average for a Jr. web developer to pull off? front and/or back end is fine. Maybe some of your own? Just trying to find a solid baseline.

You can find many projects on github.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

If you don't get idea any idea from github, you can try freecodecamp, they have several project for you to do for non-profit organizations.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

The key really is to make something that really interests you. What is something that you are interested in? Just really experiment with your projects. I believe that will catch employer's interests a lot more than the generic projects you see floating out there.

Also, you should decide whether you want to start off on the front end or the back end so that you can focus. You don't necessarily have to stay at one over the course of your career, but to get in the door, focusing on one is helpful.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Never like writing documentation until :

1.) I had to train several people
2.) I started on a new project 2 weeks ago and there is zero documentation.lol

Life just becomes easier when you have docs. I can tell one of the devs don't want to get me up to speed. But I'm like shyt, you realize how much smoother this process would be if I had docs to read. I realized this when I had to train and people had to kept asking me questions because I never took the time to really document. So I'm speaking from both ends.

Edit: just a real world tip

Last edited:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
For people trying to get into this industry. Something to put on your resume

Agile: Scrum

I'll post a good short book for it when I get to my desktop. But I'm sure HR would love to see this.