Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
What do you guys think of php? I currently taking a web development/w php class and this seems easy for those that have a good handle on programming. But to me It seems very frustrating at times writing these codes. Also why isn't this thread sticky like the other IT thread?

i havent used much of php but the consensus seems to be that it works but it's not the most beautiful code.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm going to get heavy into data structures and algorithms and mathematics soon. I already know enough languages decently enough. Time to really focus on the knowledge that spans across languages.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Gonzo I'm made some serious progress since then, I think I got inheritance, abstract, implementation, pointers, fiIeO, etc pat down I think. Last semester, OOP was kicking my ass, I barely pass that class, but now I'm squeezing an A in my data structures and data engineering class, next year graduation.:obama:

Milk

Pro
Daps
Reppin
England
Does anyone know PHP here? I need help with a while loop calculating data from an array.

Last edited:

Milk

Pro
Daps
Reppin
England
With regards to my post above...

I'm trying to create a while loop that gets data from two seperate database tables. When it does, it does a subtraction between a column from both tables. It checks if the result is over the "limit". If it's not, it prints out a coloumn data from the row.

Here's my code:
Code:
http://pasteguru.com/18798

I get an error in line 15 saying: "mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in..."

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong or how to better excute this code?

Last edited:

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
With regards to my post above...

I'm trying to create a while loop that gets data from two seperate database tables. When it does, it does a subtraction between a column from both tables. It checks if the result is over the "limit". If it's not, it prints out a coloumn data from the row.

Here's my code:
Code:
http://pasteguru.com/18798

I get an error in line 15 saying: "mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in..."

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong or how to better excute this code?
I haven't used PHP in years. But in line 15 I think you need to change $result1 to $res1, as that is the name of the variable you declared before. I could be wrong.

Milk

Pro
Daps
Reppin
England
I haven't used PHP in years. But in line 15 I think you need to change $result1 to $res1, as that is the name of the variable you declared before. I could be wrong.
You're right, thanks for pointing that out.

However, I still get the same error. :/ I'll keep working on it.

Last edited:

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
You're right, thanks for pointing that out.

However, I still get the same error. :/ I'll keep working on it.
Try changing && to || in line 11 so it displays an error when either of the queries is false.
And in line 15 try adding parenthesis like the following:
Code:
while(($row1 = mysql_fetch_array($result1)) && ($row2 = mysql_fetch_array($res2)))