Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've completed a ton of these rails sites... I'm considering on jumping into node.js now, especially since it is easier to integrate some of those JS SPA frameworks and js is the in demand language for the web.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think my biggest problem with the front-end that makes it unenjoyable is that the community seems to have ADHD. Every other month, there is some new tool that comes out that doesn't necessarily do anything all that different, but it's just a twist on some functionality covered by some old tool. It's hard to put builds together because there's always some new tools that you have to spend time learning. You have browserify and now webpack for bringing in external modules. You have like 3 different module systems, aka commonJS, AMD, and ES6 modules which is a mix of the two. You had to learn Angular before and now Angular 2, which is completely different, is on the way, and you got React.js, which you have to use with a ton of other libraries.

I really wish developers on the front end would just start standardizing some tools. It's getting annoying that every time a new developer has an idea, they are releasing some framework or library.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think my biggest problem with the front-end that makes it unenjoyable is that the community seems to have ADHD. Every other month, there is some new tool that comes out that doesn't necessarily do anything all that different, but it's just a twist on some functionality covered by some old tool. It's hard to put builds together because there's always some new tools that you have to spend time learning. You have browserify and now webpack for bringing in external modules. You have like 3 different module systems, aka commonJS, AMD, and ES6 modules which is a mix of the two. You had to learn Angular before and now Angular 2, which is completely different, is on the way, and you got React.js, which you have to use with a ton of other libraries.

I really wish developers on the front end would just start standardizing some tools. It's getting annoying that every time a new developer has an idea, they are releasing some framework or library.

not sure how this fits into programming, but i've been in this IT world for several years now and the one thing i've learned to do is to pick a finite number of relevant languages i care about and just stick to those. be the guru of those languages. trying to keep up with the times by getting ur hands in several languages or tools makes one quite useless as ur not a master of any of those languages.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Weak!!!!! :lolbron:

It's not meant to be a full fledged, impressive chat program. That one was more or less a small tech demo seeing if I could get a node.js app up. It uses socket.io to pass data back and forth. I'll be using that knowledge to make much more impressive things down the line.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Nothing worse than looking through thousands of lines of code and maybe see 10 comments at best:mindblown:. I'm like "These people never had any code review meetings"?

I'm literally sitting here with a pencil/paper and using VS debugger to figure out their intentions.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Some of those guys go by the philosophy that 'your code should be so readable that you don't need comments', but little do they know that what's readable to them may not be to others.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Some of those guys go by the philosophy that 'your code should be so readable that you don't need comments', but little do they know that what's readable to them may not be to others.

Part of this is true. You don't want to over comment. Your variable/function names should have meaning. Some of our teams have coding documents/guidelines and some don't. The one's that do, you are able to develop faster because everybody is on one page and you are able to debug faster. Others act like it's their home project they are working on.lol

keepemup

Banned
Daps
Nothing worse than looking through thousands of lines of code and maybe see 10 comments at best:mindblown:. I'm like "These people never had any code review meetings"?

I'm literally sitting here with a pencil/paper and using VS debugger to figure out their intentions.
Sorry breh. That's always bewildering and infuriating.

Coding standards usually help. Y'all do have those right? I found that working on stuff like that is usually a good way to get recognized for promotions etc.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Sorry breh. That's always bewildering and infuriating.

Coding standards usually help. Y'all do have those right? I found that working on stuff like that is usually a good way to get recognized for promotions etc.

Usually our most critical systems have the coding standards/most reviews, since we bring in consultants from Microsoft & Red Hat and those tend to be the most visibly projects. But those documents are shared on our SharePoint sites so any group can pick them up and follow them. Its just for smaller projects people do whatever they want / draft up a nice PowerPoint presentation w/ pretty pictures for management and they don't care as long as it's working...lol

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been messing with angular ui-router. can't wait to get this under control.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm now primarily a ruby/ruby on rails developer and will be making javascript secondary. I simply find that I'm 10 times more productive in the ruby ecosystem. The javascript ecosystem is too fragmented. I actually got an interview with a company. The position required 7 years experience, so I didn't get that position, but they said if a jr position opens up, they'll probably contact me.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I tried mixing Angular js in with rails, but it's messy and awkward. Time to try react.js