Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm learning java and making apps on android, I have a good understanding of python and C++.
I have some projects in mind for java and python, c++ is the one I hate the most.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I'm gaining respect for java on the server side... I'm realizing that java software powers a lot of the hardcore functionality (data management and analysis) that lies beneath big systems like twitter

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
All 3 major OS kernels are programmed in C [Windows, OS X, Linux].

A lot of heavy game programming is some off shoot of C.

Even the Java Virtual Machine and some libraries are C and C++.

My point? Depending on what you want to do, C/C++ is required. Any job dealing with operating systems will require extensive knowledge of it. If you want to make Android Apps, Web Applets, and other things, other languages are fine.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been spending the past month or so learning Javascript. It's been going decently. I pretty much understand all the basics... loops, arrays, functions. I enjoy using Javascript, but it is a strange language. For one, you can do things multiple ways, which can be confusing when you're just getting started. You can declare functions like:

function test()
{
code here
};

That's the typical way... but you can also do it like
var test = function()
{
code here
};

but what makes it strange is that "function" is used to create constructors, which are the templates your objects can clone. For example:
function Person(name, age)
{
this.name;
this.age;
}

then to create a new object var newPerson = new Person();
Being that it is a prototype language, there are no classes, but you can emulate classes to an extent by creating a prototype chain. What also is interesting is that just about everything is an object.

As strange as the language is, I do enjoy Javascript more than Python. Whitespace is just a strange concept to me. I much prefer having brackets.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
All 3 major OS kernels are programmed in C [Windows, OS X, Linux].

A lot of heavy game programming is some off shoot of C.

Even the Java Virtual Machine and some libraries are C and C++.

My point? Depending on what you want to do, C/C++ is required. Any job dealing with operating systems will require extensive knowledge of it. If you want to make Android Apps, Web Applets, and other things, other languages are fine.

Have you tried any stuff with Scheme or other languages like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming#Coding_styles

^^ not very useful right now but more sexy in some respects than C type programming

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Have you tried any stuff with Scheme or other languages like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming#Coding_styles

^^ not very useful right now but more sexy in some respects than C type programming

Man I wish I had time to expirement. I still want to learn that "Go" language you put me on. The time right now just does not exist. I'm currently working on and perfecting systems programming concepts and languages, from C to Assembly to numerical machine Code. Getting really in depth there and doing things with kernels on the software side and processors on the hardware side. Honestly gives me so much respect for the dudes back in the day who came up and refined these machines and OSes.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nice thread hope to contribute and learn something. My main languages are C++, C#, Python, Matlab and i've been recently doing a lot of GUI development using WPF and playing around with F# but i've used everything from Java, R, lisp, ML, C, and Lush for single production and university projects. I also work with a lot of data so i do a lot of data wrangling using Linux tools such as Awk, Sed, etc

Last edited:

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Man I wish I had time to expirement. I still want to learn that "Go" language you put me on. The time right now just does not exist. I'm currently working on and perfecting systems programming concepts and languages, from C to Assembly to numerical machine Code. Getting really in depth there and doing things with kernels on the software side and processors on the hardware side. Honestly gives me so much respect for the dudes back in the day who came up and refined these machines and OSes.

yeah man. interesting related thing I read:

http://prog21.dadgum.com/181.html

Rewind to the release of the first major game system with interchangeable cartridges, the Atari VCS (a.k.a. Atari 2600) in 1977. Now instead of buying that game system, imagine you wanted a general purpose PC that could create displays of the same color and resolution as the Atari. What would the capabilities of that mythical 1977 PC need to be?

For starters, you'd need a 160x192 pixel display with a byte per pixel. Well, technically you'd need 7-bits, as the 2600 can only display 128 colors, but a byte per pixel is simpler to deal with. That works out to 30,720 bytes for the display. Sounds simple enough, but there's a major roadblock: 4K of RAM in 1977 cost roughly $125. To get enough memory for our 2600-equivalent display, ignoring everything else, would have been over $900.

For comparison, the retail price of the Atari 2600 was $200.

How did Atari's engineers do it? By cheating. Well, cheating is too strong of a word. Instead of building a financially unrealistic 30K frame buffer, they created an elaborate, specialized illusion. They built a video system--a monochrome background and two single-color sprites--that was only large enough for a single horizontal line. To get more complex displays, game code wrote and rewrote that data for each line on the TV screen. That let the Atari 2600 ship with 128bytes of RAM instead of the 30K of our fantasy system.

My interest in Go has kinda cooled down. I'm definitely going for Ruby/Python first I think

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I originally was thinking about getting that CompTIA A+ cert and going through that whole help desk track, but programming is so much better to me... to be able to create instead of waiting for someone to have a problem and fixing it. The overall programming community is very generous with discussion and solutions as well.

Anyways, if any of you are interested in C# and game programming, coursera has a free course for you to sign up for:
https://class.coursera.org/gameprogramming-001/lecture/25

Looks like I'll be learning a bit of C# along with my javascript. It'll be interesting seeing how two different languages do things.

Also, if you want to learn Javascript, here is an online study group:
http://www.meetup.com/codecrewny/events/140424502/

Last edited:

Bomberman

Like a C4.
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I just enrolled in classes to get a degree in Media design and game programming. I'm about to take C++ I believe.

Anybody know what math is most dominant? I already took (and aced) Calculus I to Differential Equations as well as Physics I-III (my even stronger subjects). Problem is I haven't been to school in roughly a year.