Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Man Python is just :wow:

Been kicking the tires on Objective-C but I'm loving Python (no homo).

This shyt is amazing. Easy to pick up. Endless custom libraries.

Powerful.

9aocv7.jpg

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man Python is just :wow:

Been kicking the tires on Objective-C but I'm loving Python (no homo).

This shyt is amazing. Easy to pick up. Endless custom libraries.

Powerful.

9aocv7.jpg

I checked out Python 3.0 just for the hell of it
a few months back while reading a "python for beginners" book,
because I'd been meaning to teach myself python.

:wow:
The syntax in comparison to Java (and I imagine the same goes for C) is :ohlawd:
Just handling simple stuff like printing strings and initializing variables
is :blessed:
I might have to return to it and seriously check it out after I've
wrapped my head completely around Java.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town

The syntax in comparison to Java (and I imagine the same goes for C) is :ohlawd:
I've got a list of languages I want to learn including Javascript (which I'm basically doing now), Python, Haskell, C and Clojure. Functional programming like Haskell and clojure seems to be taking off in a big way, so I'm trying to get on top of it.
Got a few ideas for some applications as well :jawalrus:
Also got an idea for iPhone/Android game for when or if I ever get into game development

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

Damn breh, I went from using C (and in some cases Assembly) to C++ to Java and now I'm fukking with this Python and I'm obsessed with it. It's like you can be as lazy as fukk with it and focus just on the ideas. I thought going from C to Java was laziness but this on a whole other level right here. :noah:

Obviously it has its negatives and limitations, especially when compared to C, but for everyday applications and higher level stuff this shyt is crack:ahh:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
C was a pain when I was trying to learn it way back when. I hear Python is great for doing mock-ups of software, before rewriting it in something like C, or it's great for elements that don't necessarily need to be the most performance oriented. One thing I see as computers increasingly become more powerful is that programmers move towards languages like Python that allow you to do a lot more quicker, except for applications that require top performance like games. I may go back to learning python after finishing up with javascript and php.

bigDeeOT

Banned
Daps
Yoooo I'm trying to get into programming. I'm going to start an engineering track this fall so I wanna learn a little programming before I start. I hear Learn Python The Hard Way is a good resource. Any tips? I'm using a mac btw

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
Yoooo I'm trying to get into programming. I'm going to start an engineering track this fall so I wanna learn a little programming before I start. I hear Learn Python The Hard Way is a good resource. Any tips? I'm using a mac btw

Look at your school and see what the main language is they use. Come back and shoot me a PM or post it in here and I'll try to direct you the right way.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Advice to those getting started...
  • Don't go trying to learn everything there is to know about every language. You're working backwards as you can never learn everything, there is simply too much to know. You will waste A LOT of time. Your time is $$$$$$.
  • Don't remember syntax, remember concepts. It's better to know WHEN something should be used or done than trying to remember EXACTLY how to write it. Besides, Google and StackOverflow is only one click away. As Albert Einstein put it, "I don't remember anything I can look up." Learn to work smarter, not inefficiently. Your time is $$$$$$.
  • Know ONE major language well and the top languages it interact with only well enough. Your time is $$$$$$.
  • If you have spent all of your time mastering a language, what will you do when then that language becomes obsolete? Your time is $$$$$$.
  • Pick the Java stack or C# .Net stack and get to work. Your time is $$$$$$.

bigDeeOT

Banned
Daps
Look at your school and see what the main language is they use. Come back and shoot me a PM or post it in here and I'll try to direct you the right way.
I have to take a C programming class my first semester. But I was thinking about learning python in the summer just because I hear its easier to use.

Daps
I have to take a C programming class my first semester. But I was thinking about learning python in the summer just because I hear its easier to use.

A first semester C class is only going to teach you the basics of programming which can be applied to any language. Learning Python over the summer is a good idea because you will have a head start.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
i am loving this web development... specifically html/css, javascript, and php.
Although it's not recommended to do so, it's cool that you can simply do every single thing in one file... you can style pages with css, modify behavior with javascript and communicate with the server with PHP. Learning and switching between all of these languages keep things from getting monotonous.