Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I'll learn this... then not use it for a few weeks because i'm working on something else and then i've forgotten it :ld:

You don't need to memorize all that. Feel free to look up function syntaxes etc whenever you need to. Abstract code you regularly use into a class library and just use that

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You don't need to memorize all that. Feel free to look up function syntaxes etc whenever you need to. Abstract code you regularly use into a class library and just use that

do they expect you to know functions/syntax in interviews?

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
do they expect you to know functions/syntax in interviews?

yes... but you shouldn't work at a place that looks at you funny just cause you couldn't remember some argument order on a white board

write some hobbyist code and put it on github. the kinda employers you want to work for are the people who see that and go "nice work!"

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
any of y'all ever stumbled upon this: https://facebook.interviewstreet.com/recruit/challenges/ ?
I tried their sample test
a problem based on the Hanoi towers. it was interesting

There are K pegs. Each peg can hold discs in decreasing order of radius when looked from bottom to top of the peg. There are N discs which have radius 1 to N; Given the initial configuration of the pegs and the final configuration of the pegs, output the moves required to transform from the initial to final configuration. You are required to do the transformations in minimal number of moves.

A move consists of picking the topmost disc of any one of the pegs and placing it on top of anyother peg. At anypoint of time, the decreasing radius property of all the pegs must be maintained.

Constraints:
1<= N<=8
3<= K<=5

Input Format:
N K
2nd line contains N integers. Each integer in the second line is in the range 1 to K where the i-th integer denotes the peg to which disc of radius i is present in the initial configuration. 3rd line denotes the final configuration in a format similar to the initial configuration.

Output Format:
The first line contains M - The minimal number of moves required to complete the transformation. The following M lines describe a move, by a peg number to pick from and a peg number to place on. If there are more than one solutions, it's sufficient to output any one of them. You can assume, there is always a solution with less than 7 moves and the initial confirguration will not be same as the final one.

Sample Input #00:
2 3
1 1
2 2
Sample Output #00:
1 3
1 2
3 2

Sample Input #01:
6 4
4 2 4 3 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1
Sample Output #01:
3 1
4 3
4 1
2 1
3 1

NOTE: You need to write the full code taking all inputs are from stdin and outputs to stdout If you are using "Java", the classname is "Solution"

anyone else wanna give it a try since it seems like there are quite a few programmers on here

Spatial Paradox

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I'm a PHP developer too but I wouldn't recommend learning it for a beginner today. It's not really an elegant language... on the other hand if that's where your interest is then go for it. You can be a good programmer in any environment

Some would argue that that's putting it kindly...

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
practice practice practice.

Everything I know about programming I taught myself.

me too. i tried taking a couple of classes and i dropped them with the quickness because the professors were talking utter nonsense.

im sorry, someone that becomes a professor straight out of college, without any REAL WORLD experience isn't qualified to teach programming.

Programming is meant for those with a natural born creativity. Creativity is like any talent. It can and will be augmented a great deal by one's experience with the real world and what one perceives the real world to be in need of. Creativity cant be taught. No matter how anyone may try to tell u differently. it cannot be taught. You either have it or u don't!

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I think you're paranoid and probably bi-polar in real life and have little value outside of anything science-related or tech-related, but no one hates you. People like you haven't done anything to me aren't worth hating. If anything you have misguided hate for me, and you know it's bad when VVD has to call you out on it. But you continue to prove your sense of self-importance and hubris disguised as righteousness. Get over yourself. It's not your board, and I'm trying to make a balanced decision given a variety of things--one of which isn't you.

Good day. :rudy:

man just sticky the thread.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the one thing i'll add to this thread is. yall n1ggas need to take a step back and rethink your approach.

yeah its good to know a variety of languages and have a variety of skills. but u would be wasting your time, or putting urself only on par with others if all u do is dip your feet in a bunch of different things.

pick one or two programming languages and go hard at them. master them. own them. know them so well that u not only program using them, u know the consequences, benefits, pros and cons of things about the program others wouldn't know. you master an art by studying the fucck out of it.

a mechanic who has always worked on a lexus all his life is the best dude to hire to work on YOUR lexus.

i've never met a brain surgeon who was also a heart surgeon. pick an art and master the fucck out of it!

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:clap: truest, made some good points. About you have it or you don't... the only thing I would say is.... you can program software without creativity.. Or you can get into data warehousing.. with little creativity.

And yea focus on a couple things.. I was thinking that when some poster was talking about PHP - You can make a career being a php developer.. you don't also need to know every backend and front language.

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm getting deeper into Javascript. Some of the concepts are starting to sink in. More importantly, I feel that in order to understand code, you have to get a feel for the purpose of the constructs of the language.

Like in JS, object prototype is just another way of saying default property assignment.

I'm thinking about going in the HTML5/JS route and specifically for HTML5 games. Doesn't look like the games are being fully monetized yet, but the freelance work is there.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Anyway. Im working on starting my own game dev company. Currently doing game programming as a hobby. just working on becoming a better artist.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
How different is Python to PHP? I used to code in Raw JavaScript but JQuery is so much easier :ahh:... now i forgot Raw JavaScript :snoop: . You got any coding tips/software to remember syntax, string functions etc? I use Notepad++ currently..I don't think there is an option for quick reference of string functions and syntax.

Look at this..

I'll learn this... then not use it for a few weeks because i'm working on something else and then i've forgotten it :ld:

The best tip is too keep a reference book on your desk and do lots of coding. Also dont get bogged down in syntax( you'll always fukk up somewhere ). Worry about the design of the program. Look into UML.

edit: Notepad++ is great for small projects( I use it at work when i have to touch vbscript ). But I would never use it if the code has to span more than one class. I can't recall any nice javascript IDE's at the moment. But im sure they are out there. If not look into using javascript with Visual Studio.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps

African Americans have to go an extra mile in every industry,&#8221; he says. &#8220;Once we build it and turn it into a $100 million company, with 10 million followers, that&#8217;s when Hollywood will say, &#8216;We want in.&#8217;&#8221;

in a system based purely on return on investment, they face less prejudice in the technology sector than elsewhere in the U.S. economy"

Man, I've been saying this for 4 years now. This is the only avenue for black people that is wide open, immune to most of the lame excuses and barriers that we set up and they set up for us....

Not everyone has to be like me
--- basically I have a few white friends, I work w indians... and other races. But when it comes to putting people on or hiring - I'm beyond racist. I'm not doing it out of hate, just love of my own. Just the other day, white guy in office, brought in this pudgy white bytch to interview. I put a stop to that shyt quick. First off, we already have white people, plus she's not even eyecandy. fukk her- because the challenges that a young black person has to go through to become successful.. or even become a basic man or woman, is tough enough. Got this black girl coming in no Monday to interview, I low key spoke w the management on the credentials of that white chick. She'll be OK, but the black girl has a CS degree from fukking UofM and lives on 8mile/gratiot working at hotels n shyt. foh. Imma train this chick so that when she becomes part of the single black moms team that @chris b. hates so much - she can at least afford private school for her lil nikka (at twism)

But anyway, not everyone should be like me... But We do have to go the extra mile.. and the IT industry is at the beginning of a BOOM. The 90's shyt was nothing compared to what's about to happen.. especially in data analytics. If we as a people miss this shyt (Again), then we deserve all the social economic shyt that will follow.