Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I'm getting deeper into Javascript. Some of the concepts are starting to sink in. More importantly, I feel that in order to understand code, you have to get a feel for the purpose of the constructs of the language.

Like in JS, object prototype is just another way of saying default property assignment.

I'm thinking about going in the HTML5/JS route and specifically for HTML5 games. Doesn't look like the games are being fully monetized yet, but the freelance work is there.

IMHO I would stay away from HTML5 for games. You wont find alot of resources for it. Look into using Javascript w/ Unity 3D. thank me later.lol

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
any of y'all ever stumbled upon this: https://facebook.interviewstreet.com/recruit/challenges/ ?
I tried their sample test
a problem based on the Hanoi towers. it was interesting

There are K pegs. Each peg can hold discs in decreasing order of radius when looked from bottom to top of the peg. There are N discs which have radius 1 to N; Given the initial configuration of the pegs and the final configuration of the pegs, output the moves required to transform from the initial to final configuration. You are required to do the transformations in minimal number of moves.

A move consists of picking the topmost disc of any one of the pegs and placing it on top of anyother peg. At anypoint of time, the decreasing radius property of all the pegs must be maintained.

Constraints:
1<= N<=8
3<= K<=5

Input Format:
N K
2nd line contains N integers. Each integer in the second line is in the range 1 to K where the i-th integer denotes the peg to which disc of radius i is present in the initial configuration. 3rd line denotes the final configuration in a format similar to the initial configuration.

Output Format:
The first line contains M - The minimal number of moves required to complete the transformation. The following M lines describe a move, by a peg number to pick from and a peg number to place on. If there are more than one solutions, it's sufficient to output any one of them. You can assume, there is always a solution with less than 7 moves and the initial confirguration will not be same as the final one.

Sample Input #00:
2 3
1 1
2 2
Sample Output #00:
1 3
1 2
3 2

Sample Input #01:
6 4
4 2 4 3 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1
Sample Output #01:
3 1
4 3
4 1
2 1
3 1

NOTE: You need to write the full code taking all inputs are from stdin and outputs to stdout If you are using "Java", the classname is "Solution"

anyone else wanna give it a try since it seems like there are quite a few programmers on here

This ^^ is a simple recursion algorithm, anyone that has studied at the University level should knock this out in 15-25 mins, tops.

Me, I'm proficient in Java, C#, C++, and SQL. I can get down on windows or linux/unix. I am also nice in various web-design technologies (HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc.). I like to design on the web for fun. The money for me is made in other areas...

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
IMHO I would stay away from HTML5 for games. You wont find alot of resources for it. Look into using Javascript w/ Unity 3D. thank me later.lol

Thanks for the advice. I googled around and it looks like Unity3D is a more stable platform that is browser independent. That's a big plus for me. The $1500 price tag just to get started is the negative. But it seems like it has a good reputation as a game engine.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Thanks for the advice. I googled around and it looks like Unity3D is a more stable platform that is browser independent. That's a big plus for me. The $1500 price tag just to get started is the negative. But it seems like it has a good reputation as a game engine.

You can use the FREE edition and with the free editon you can publish games to iOS and Android. you only need the Pro editon for certain features that only professional games( mainly studios ) need. Plenty of games were only made with the free edtion.

Up until a week ago you had to pay $400 for each mobile platform. they just made that free also. Temple Run 2 was made with Unity.

Unity - Download and Start Creating Games

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
This ^^ is a simple recursion algorithm, anyone that has studied at the University level should knock this out in 15-25 mins, tops.
simple.....yeah in a sense but can you code it to be efficient ? I'd like to see your take on it
here's my implementation: https://github.com/l-a-n/fb_hiring_sample_test/blob/master/Solution.java
if your read the comments on here (I'm e-digga): Thiago Genez: Tower of Hanoi: Facebook hiring sample test test your code with the data set posted by Lorin
mine doesn't give me any results even after 1h+ of computation. I tried to avoid dumb things in my code but obviously it's still far from being optimal.
it does work with the data set I posted though