Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I can't wait to try out the new version of Rpgmaker. They've switched the language from Ruby to Javascript and made it easy to port your game to HTML5. I may actually force myself to try and start and finish creating a game.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I'm really trying to figure out what models do on these front-end frameworks. It makes sense on the back-end since the model usually interacts with the database, but on the front-end this isn't the case.

What I like on the front-end are simpler libraries/frameworks that do one thing well. Knockout.js is very simple to use and gets you two-way data binding. jQuery lets you interact with the DOM simply. I'm also liking what I see from react.js. On the other hand, I'm not too big of a fan of the huge front-end frameworks like angular or react, but then again, I need to spend more time with them.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
A little program I wrote last night( just uses a combination of RGB color values and a for loop to go through them )

Wish I had a 3D Printer( but i'm buying my mother a dog ). This gave me some ideas for Halloween. owell Christmas is coming up.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Just finished the app from Rails 4 in action and deployed it.
Ticketee
I've been through nearly all of the Ruby on Rails books, but I still need to really get a stronger hold on the models and controllers. Time to hone up on SQL and see how various active record commands map to SQL statements.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Welp, I will be joining the developer fraternity next summer. I will be accepting an offer for an entry level software development position. Pretty good salary and benefits :banderas:

I'm probably under-qualified for the position, as I only know a little OOP Java, and a little SQL (they don't teach you shyt in CIS!). But they will be putting me through like a 14 week training program to get me right.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Congrats on the offer. I need to start applying soon. Next month it is.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Alright brehs, this coding bootcamp I'm in has covered html, css, a ton of JavaScript and JQuery also along with some bootstrap. I'm pretty proficient with JavaScript OOP right now.

They're giving us a choice individually to either learn more front-end the rest of the way with Angular.js or go into the back end, but that's with php and mySQL. I really want to learn the back end, but do ya'll think with strong angular.js skills it may be easier to learn Node.js and use that vs php and MySQL?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Alright brehs, this coding bootcamp I'm in has covered html, css, a ton of JavaScript and JQuery also along with some bootstrap. I'm pretty proficient with JavaScript OOP right now.

They're giving us a choice individually to either learn more front-end the rest of the way with Angular.js or go into the back end, but that's with php and mySQL. I really want to learn the back end, but do ya'll think with strong angular.js skills it may be easier to learn Node.js and use that vs php and MySQL?
Go with PHP and MySQL. The problem with Angular 1.0 is that Angular 2.0 is coming out relatively soon and it's not backwards compatible with 1.0 and is supposedly very different, so you don't want to spend a bunch of time learning what is about to be a legacy framework. Also, you can't really do much of note with these front-end frameworks of interest unless you are getting data from the back-end.

Node.js is typically paired with MongoDB, which is NoSQL, so using Node/Express on the backend is a lot different than PHP, but PHP will teach you some solid server-side principles if you decide to use Node.js down the line. Also, I feel like it's better to have multiple languages under your belt just so you get a different perspective on programming. Also, SQL is a very useful skill period. I don't recommend using Node with Express as your first server-side foray because it can be very confusing due to the async nature and how low-level it can be. Do PHP and MySQL and do some research on front-end frameworks to decide which one you really want to use. By the time you have a solid grasp on PHP and MySQL, hopefully there will be more clarity when it comes to front-end frameworks and we'll get to see exactly how Angular 2.0 will stack up. In regards to the front-end, if you want to pick something up, do React.js since it can actually be used with some of the other frameworks if need be.

TrebleMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Go with PHP and MySQL. The problem with Angular 1.0 is that Angular 2.0 is coming out relatively soon and it's not backwards compatible with 1.0 and is supposedly very different, so you don't want to spend a bunch of time learning what is about to be a legacy framework. Also, you can't really do much of note with these front-end frameworks of interest unless you are getting data from the back-end.

Node.js is typically paired with MongoDB, which is NoSQL, so using Node/Express on the backend is a lot different than PHP, but PHP will teach you some solid server-side principles if you decide to use Node.js down the line. Also, I feel like it's better to have multiple languages under your belt just so you get a different perspective on programming. Also, SQL is a very useful skill period. I don't recommend using Node with Express as your first server-side foray because it can be very confusing due to the async nature and how low-level it can be. Do PHP and MySQL and do some research on front-end frameworks to decide which one you really want to use. By the time you have a solid grasp on PHP and MySQL, hopefully there will be more clarity when it comes to front-end frameworks and we'll get to see exactly how Angular 2.0 will stack up. In regards to the front-end, if you want to pick something up, do React.js since it can actually be used with some of the other frameworks if need be.

Thank you brother :wow:.

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Explain what you mean put in work...what are you doing exactly to stay sharp?
Well the course is guiding us towards building our own functional site... I just mean that i understand better when i do a little bit everyday vs taking 2 or 3 days off (even if those sessions are longer)

I just continue to review my code and look for ways to make it more efficient.

I also use codecademy for extra practice

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, if you don't like learning, then this isn't the field for you. There's so much to learn. I've been focusing more on back-end, but I'm going to get back into front-end with responsive web design and brushing up more on ember... but for now, Ruby on Rails.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Hit the wall on freecodecamp...basic algorithms. I just got into programming again about 3 or so months ago and I'm on and off with it. Started with C++ but I hit the wall and can never really get over. Need to practice more and find the right direction.