Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For some reason I'm curious about web-based 3d gaming. Anyone here mess with webgl/html5?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
3D is where all the fun is at.

HexGL - Futuristic racing game: HexGL, the HTML5 futuristic racing game.

Yeah, there's a lot of potential with WebGL and 3d in the browser. It's probably one of the big reasons for web assembly, which will allow people to bring C and C++ in the browser, which will compile down to a sort of bytecode. For a smaller or single person team, I think they'd be better suited towards using an engine like Unity since 3d can be extremely time-consuming.

The Web is getting its bytecode: WebAssembly

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I've been networking and interviewing for entry level developer positions after college, and an IT consulting firm has reached out to me and piqued my interest in working for a consulting team. What would be the best career move: in-house developing, or being on an outsourced team?

I figure I would learn more by consulting, but in-house seems more comfortable.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I've been networking and interviewing for entry level developer positions after college, and an IT consulting firm has reached out to me and piqued my interest in working for a consulting team. What would be the best career move: in-house developing, or being on an outsourced team?

@Data-Hawk @kevm3 @Silver Surfer y'all really just gonna leave a breh out here naked? :damn:

I had an informal interview with the recruiter and she sounds like she is pretty much penciling me in. Going to meet some of the consultant team and have a "formal interview/orientation" two weeks from today. This shyt is moving fast. I'm still waiting on the word if I'm going to have a second interview from two other in-house developer positions I like that I interviewed for over the last week or so.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
@Data-Hawk @kevm3 @Silver Surfer y'all really just gonna leave a breh out here naked? :damn:

I had an informal interview with the recruiter and she sounds like she is pretty much penciling me in. Going to meet some of the consultant team and have a "formal interview/orientation" two weeks from today. This shyt is moving fast. I'm still waiting on the word if I'm going to have a second interview from two other in-house developer positions I like that I interviewed for over the last week or so.

I actually am doing some phone screens this week. Be yourself and if you dont know something, just say you don't know but you come up to speed quick

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

My bad. Must of missed this post or something .

In the end as long as you get a job, you can't go wrong.From my experience most of the developers that are consultants tend to have years of experience and they like working on different projects/technologies. Plus they get to work at different sites( different companies ).

For starting out , I would recommend in-house due to just being fresh out of college and you may have some hand holding until you get comfortable. Where as with consultants , the customers want results right away and it's not the best environment to "learn" while on the job.
Plus you may not like the traveling aspect of it especially if you have a family or a kid..

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Pray over it. But if you need a personal assessment from me, I wouldn't necessarily look at it as 'in-house' vs 'outsourcing' as the key criteria to making a decision. Look at it more from a company quality basis and assess which company looks to have the best long-term stability, benefits and has a great work environment. If you don't like where you're working at or your company isn't the most stable around, then nearly everything else is moot. Which company has a reputation for investing in their hires and will regularly let you utilize new technology? The most important thing you can do is be in a place that will regularly let you develop your skills. The last thing you want to do is be stuck dealing with legacy systems and have your skillset be outdated by the time you want to move on.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I actually am doing some phone screens this week. Be yourself and if you dont know something, just say you don't know but you come up to speed quick

Being a veteran helps with this. I kind of get the feeling I'm only getting interviews because I'm a vet and have a decent GPA :manny:

I'm not even a CS major, I'm CIS and just now taking an object-oriented programming course :smugfavre:

We'll see what comes of it

My bad. Must of missed his post or something .

In the end as long as you get a job, you can't go wrong.From my experience most of the developers that are consultants tend to have years of experience and they like working on different projects/technologies. Plus they get to work at different sites( different companies ).

For starting out , I would recommend in-house due to just being fresh out of college and you may have some hand holding until you get comfortable. Where as with consultants , the customers want results right away and it's not the best environment to "learn" while on the job.
Plus you may not like the traveling aspect of it especially if you have a family or a kid..
Yeah the consulting firm targets college grads for the entry level position then puts them through their own boot camp. Every position that I've recently interviewed for does this. The recruiter assured me that they aren't just going to throw me to the wolves. They would put me in a larger and/or more experienced team on mid-sized projects. I'm still skeptical though. And I don't know if I want to travel and have such a varied schedule. I think I would prefer in-house, but if the consulting firm is the one to offer me a job...the responsible decision seems to be to roll with it.

Pray over it. But if you need a personal assessment from me, I wouldn't necessarily look at it as 'in-house' vs 'outsourcing' as the key criteria to making a decision. Look at it more from a company quality basis and assess which company looks to have the best long-term stability, benefits and has a great work environment. If you don't like where you're working at or your company isn't the most stable around, then nearly everything else is moot. Which company has a reputation for investing in their hires and will regularly let you utilize new technology? The most important thing you can do is be in a place that will regularly let you develop your skills. The last thing you want to do is be stuck dealing with legacy systems and have your skillset be outdated by the time you want to move on.

This is great advice. I will keep this in mind.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I've been spending a ton of time with Rails and finally feel I have a decent understanding with it. Time to get a hold of ember and see how exactly the front-end interfaces with the backend in an SPA.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Do you have some sensor hooked up to it, to make things more interesting, and if so which ones?

No sensors yet. Mostly messing around with LED lights and buttons. Also a lot of theory ( voltage,current, resistors and Ohm's law ). Next I'm going to look into embedded OS's. So I picked up a OS design book and afterwards I will probably looking into FreeRTOS.

I also started looking at the pebble watches, which were prototypes in arduino, so I may get into wearable devices.

keepemup

Banned
Daps
No sensors yet. Mostly messing around with LED lights and buttons. Also a lot of theory ( voltage,current, resistors and Ohm's law ). Next I'm going to look into embedded OS's. So I picked up a OS design book and afterwards I will probably looking into FreeRTOS.

I also started looking at the pebble watches, which were prototypes in arduino, so I may get into wearable devices.
I just recently got a Raspberry Pi and I've done a little bit of reading on FreeRTOS. I dowloaded the codebase and have read through a little bit of it. I've worked with Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS) before so I'm familiar with the basics. Context switching, RAM preservation, memory protected regions etc.

I want to get a multicore Arduino or Pi so I can get into true parallel programming but that's gonna be awhile away.

In this thread, I've mentioned a lot of what I want to do, but I haven't had the time since I'm currently working on a complete website for someone. I hope that in another week at the latest I'll be done and moving on to things that are more fun.