Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Does anyone here actually code for fun? (as a hobby) or forced to because of work?

I love programming. Once I get the functional stuff out of the way, I'll be studying things more oriented towards games

keepemup

Banned
Daps
That all our front ends are here.....

We have a static VIEW .ejs page that has all the html/css elements

We use a CONTROLLER .js file that has the "logic" that manipulates the view and calls the model when necessary

We use a MODEL folder that has all the .js file that do all the AJAX calls to the server

Nice and Neat :smile:
For the controller part how often do you implement state machines?

semtex

:)
Daps
That all our front ends are here.....

We have a static VIEW .ejs page that has all the html/css elements

We use a CONTROLLER .js file that has the "logic" that manipulates the view and calls the model when necessary

We use a MODEL folder that has all the .js file that do all the AJAX calls to the server

Nice and Neat :smile:
So your whole stack is js? Yall using node?

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
So your whole stack is js? Yall using node?

My stack for this Project Im on now is:
Javascript-MVC
Java 8
TOMCAT 7
SQL Server
Hadoop
-Hive
-SQOOP

.sh/.ksh scripts to call Hadoop ...we can use Java, but its just easier to script :smile:

No node on this project...there are some projects that use Angular

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
For the controller part how often do you implement state machines?

My understanding of "state-machines" is does our logic change based off inputs?

If so, then yes....because we are "data driven"...(which makes it easier if business wants to change something and we dont want to go through the motions of changing and deploying code) our code is tailored on the front end to be dynamic

keepemup

Banned
Daps
My understanding of "state-machines" is does our logic change based off inputs?

If so, then yes....because we are "data driven"...(which makes it easier if business wants to change something and we dont want to go through the motions of changing and deploying code) our code is tailored on the front end to be dynamic

I mean do you guys use rigid structures like state transition matrices and state action tables?

I ask this because I think I might invest some time working on a simple tool that could allow easy configuration of these types of structures for use in web projects.

semtex

:)
Daps
I mean do you guys use rigid structures like state transition matrices and state action tables?

I ask this because I think I might invest some time working on a simple tool that could allow easy configuration of these types of structures for use in web projects.
What the fuuck? :why: are you a phd or something?

keepemup

Banned
Daps
What the fuuck? :why: are you a phd or something?
I have a master's degree in electrical and computer engineering with a focus in solid state physics. So no phd. Not yet anyway.

And the tool doesn't even have to be that complicated to be honest. I got a little bit of experience developing these things at my previous job and I think it would be a fun project. Something to show off while I'm in the midst of getting my ish back together (long story).

It may sound like a lot, but it really isn't.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The "stack" I'm focusing on right now is Ruby with Ruby on Rails for the server-side of things and Javascript with Ember for the front-end. What I like about these stacks, especially if you're starting off, is that they pretty much force you to have at least some semblence of decent practices. Just about every Ruby on Rails book I've went through shows you how to do version control with git, how to test various aspects, etc.

I originally was going to do 'all Javascript' and tack on node, but I'm glad I picked up Ruby and went with Rails. Not being tethered to a single language is a great thing, and I also felt like with node, I felt like I wasn't being that productive. ROR is much easier to see the big picture of what you're doing. I'll eventually go back and pick up node.js, but I don't see node as a great technology to start with on the server-side.

I'm also picking up C# to use with Unity and the such. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy for the foreseeable future.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps

I dunno man.....we like alot of stuff to be plain so we can configure it how we want....I would prefer a code generator on the server-side stuff...matter fcat we already got that.

Alot of our JDBC stuff is already generated via a tool

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I dunno man.....we like alot of stuff to be plain so we can configure it how we want....I would prefer a code generator on the server-side stuff...matter fcat we already got that.

How do you like Java for the server-side stuff?

sr_thecoli

Rookie
Daps
Shout outs to everyone here - sup yall... I'm new to TheColi.
I've mainly just been lurking, reading stuff on the forums and whatnot. When I saw this thread, I had to chime in. This was actually a coincidental find.... I didn't know there would be programmers out there that I can resonate with. I've definitely not yet met a dev that was also into the hip hop / urban stuff and whatnot, so I'm glad to have stumbled upon this thread!
Btw, I'm a jr Java dev with a bit of Ruby scripting experience from when I was in QA, as well as some basic frontend skills using html/css/js-jq. I'm learning the Spring framework at the moment and after this my plan is to stack up knowledge on some of the buzzword js things like node, angular for SPAs and perhaps Meteor.
Anyways just another shout out to everyone... I look forward to chopping it up soon. peace

Edit:
Don't mind the troll-looking user name. It follows a simple format that I use when I create a new account and don't want to forget my user name (my initials+ _ +site name) . I'll request to have it changed.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Shout outs to everyone here - sup yall... I'm new to TheColi.
I've mainly just been lurking, reading stuff on the forums and whatnot. When I saw this thread, I had to chime in. This was actually a coincidental find.... I didn't know there would be programmers out there that I can resonate with. I've definitely not yet met a dev that was also into the hip hop / urban stuff and whatnot, so I'm glad to have stumbled upon this thread!
Btw, I'm a jr Java dev with a bit of Ruby scripting experience from when I was in QA, as well as some basic frontend skills using html/css/js-jq. I'm learning the Spring framework at the moment and after this my plan is to stack up knowledge on some of the buzzword js things like node, angular for SPAs and perhaps Meteor.
Anyways just another shout out to everyone... I look forward to chopping it up soon. peace

Edit:
Don't mind the troll-looking user name. It follows a simple format that I use when I create a new account and don't want to forget my user name (my initials+ _ +site name) . I'll request to have it changed.

Avoid Angular 1.0. It's deprecated technology. Angular 2.0 is coming soon and it's not backwards compatible with 1.0, so you don't want to waste time learning an essentially obsolete framework. ReactJS/Flux should hold you over until Angular 2.0 comes out.

Meteor is nice, but there's not many jobs for that as of yet, probably because companies don't want to tie together their front end and the server with one framework, which Meteor does. One example of why you want to keep things separated is twitter. Twitter was originally done with Ruby on Rails, but it was found to be too slow due to the massive amounts of users, so they switched to Scala. If you have your front-end and server bound together, you can't just plug in a new back-end if need be. If you want to really get into Node.js, right now it's Node.js with the Express framework. That's what you'll find most of your resources for.

keepemup

Banned
Daps

I wasn't in any way trying to suggest that you and your company could or should use it. I was just interested in doing something interesting that may have some potential.