Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Hit the wall on freecodecamp...basic algorithms. I just got into programming again about 3 or so months ago and I'm on and off with it. Started with C++ but I hit the wall and can never really get over. Need to practice more and find the right direction.
Start making something breh. Best way to pick things up.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Hit the wall on freecodecamp...basic algorithms. I just got into programming again about 3 or so months ago and I'm on and off with it. Started with C++ but I hit the wall and can never really get over. Need to practice more and find the right direction.

C++ isn't really the best language to get started with in programming since it can be quite complex. Pick up something different like Javascript, C#, Java or something of that ilk and come back to C++ later unless you absolutely need to do something with it.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I learned c++ in high school and just started picking up on programming again after like 10 years. Any idea on what I can make? I'm gonna start the basics of c# tomorrow.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I learned c++ in high school and just started picking up on programming again after like 10 years. Any idea on what I can make? I'm gonna start the basics of c# tomorrow.

It really depends on what you want to do with programming, but go through a couple of books that teach you about C# and then you can mess around with Unity and make games just so you have something visual to keep you interested.

Unity - Game Engine

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
I dunno breh. Maybe something that interests you and is useful.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Anyone one got rails experience. I just finished my first real app in rails today and want some feedback.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Despite the web being 'bootstrappified', aka making the web look very similar, I actually find a lot to like about bootstrap. It's a great way for developers to make a solid looking page without having to wrestle with CSS's 10,000 quirks.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Don't really care for it, but I think I'm going to pick up Angular since so many companies use it and all of the tutorials are there for it, so it'll enable me to see what's going on with some of the more advanced front-end functionality. I like React as well. I tried using Ember, but there's hardly any up to date tutorials and the Ember server to view your pages is slow, so working with it is annoying.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
Don't really care for it, but I think I'm going to pick up Angular since so many companies use it and all of the tutorials are there for it, so it'll enable me to see what's going on with some of the more advanced front-end functionality. I like React as well. I tried using Ember, but there's hardly any up to date tutorials and the Ember server to view your pages is slow, so working with it is annoying.
Do you work in the industry now, or are you a student?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Do you work in the industry now, or are you a student?
I took about a year off and spent all that time studying, but this month I'm going to start applying for sites. I took that time off to teach myself various programming languages and frameworks... God willing, I'll be in the industry by the end of this month.

KritNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Costa Rica
I took about a year off and spent all that time studying, but this month I'm going to start applying for sites. I took that time off to teach myself various programming languages and frameworks... God willing, I'll be in the industry by the end of this month.
I am curious what you focused on when learning and what sites you used. Also what would you say are your strongest languages/frameworks and what type of job are you hoping to land. Do you have a link to your github or any projects I could check out. I am about 4 months into the same process you just went through and am curious how far away I am from landing a job. I have been putting in close to 10 hrs a day learning new shyt or working on a project. I am just worried that my knowledge is a little to spaced out.

I am comfortable with HTML CSS basic javascript and jQuery.
I am most familiar with Ruby and have launched a few Rails applications.
I have begun to take CS 61B from UC Berkley(intro to Data Structures and Algorithms) and am wondering if I should spend my time learning these data structures and algorithms or if I should spend more time learning ruby. I am hoping to get employed within the next 3 months.

On the bright side I have gotten two clients that want me to build them basic websites. I thought it would help supplement my school knowledge but I am not really interested in web design I am much more interested in backend programming so there is not much of a overlap. I figure I will take the jobs anyway because I need the money and it will at least be somewhat relevant.

Both sites want to be able to edit and post content to the site and I am trying to research a way to do this with rails and a CMS gem so I can still focus on rails while building these sites. I know this I should be using wordpress to get this done quickly and efficiently but I really would like to stick to rails since that is what I am focused on learning right now and I don't really have time to pick up wordpress.

I know I just wrote a novel but it is interesting to hear of someone in a similar situation and I am very interested in what your thoughts are on this.