Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
This thread is important. Don't let your hatred of me cloud your judgment. These fields and disciplines here represent the future of this planet as far as economy, society, entertainment, medicine, and much more go.

In the next 10-15 years programming will be probably be mandatory in education circles.

I think you're paranoid and probably bi-polar in real life and have little value outside of anything science-related or tech-related, but no one hates you. People like you haven't done anything to me aren't worth hating. If anything you have misguided hate for me, and you know it's bad when VVD has to call you out on it. But you continue to prove your sense of self-importance and hubris disguised as righteousness. Get over yourself. It's not your board, and I'm trying to make a balanced decision given a variety of things--one of which isn't you.

Good day. :rudy:

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans

I think you're paranoid and probably bi-polar in real life and have little value outside of anything science-related or tech-related, but no one hates you. People like you haven't done anything to me aren't worth hating. If anything you have misguided hate for me, and you know it's bad when VVD has to call you out on it. But you continue to prove your sense of self-importance and hubris disguised as righteousness. Get over yourself. It's not your board, and I'm trying to make a balanced decision given a variety of things--one of which isn't you.

Good day. :rudy:

No need to get emotional friend or attempt to derail this powerful thread with name-calling and insults.

The number of people interested or participating in this field is growing by the day. Look at the IT certs thread. By putting it at the top, we can maybe expose people to these things or inspire the youth to engage in a career that has benefits to society.

I hope you find it in your heart the ability to calm your obvious bias towards me due to our political disagreements, and we can move forward in enlightening our fellow human beings to seek a path of technological awakening. This thread has already yielded a possible job opportunity for someone.

Thank you.

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Just the type of thread I was looking for. Getting into Javascript now. Already know HTML, and familiar with CSS. Plan to breakdown HTML5 next. After I finish this JS book, I plan to run through https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/learn/javascript . Afterwards, a lot of debugging, recreating programs, and starting off with some freelance work.

After JS/HTML I don't know if I want to jump to Java, C++, or go the LAMP route. I know that no matter what, I will want get Linux down (and BASH script).

All I know is if I know this stuff, I won't starve.

Any advice or suggestions on how to become a professional freelancer?

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
Just the type of thread I was looking for. Getting into Javascript now. Already know HTML, and familiar with CSS. Plan to breakdown HTML5 next. After I finish this JS book, I plan to run through https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/learn/javascript . Afterwards, a lot of debugging, recreating programs, and starting off with some freelance work.

After JS/HTML I don't know if I want to jump to Java, C++, or go the LAMP route. I know that no matter what, I will want get Linux down (and BASH script).

All I know is if I know this stuff, I won't starve.

Any advice or suggestions on how to become a professional freelancer?

You're on a great path breh. For web development, skip C++ and Java. Learn Ruby & Python to hook up the backend applications for your frontend HTML/CSS skills. Get really good at Javascript.

In fact I have good news. You can even write backend stuff in javascript now. Try checking out node.js and see if it interests you

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
You're on a great path breh. For web development, skip C++ and Java. Learn Ruby & Python to hook up the backend applications for your frontend HTML/CSS skills. Get really good at Javascript.

In fact I have good news. You can even write backend stuff in javascript now. Try checking out node.js and see if it interests you

:myman: Thanks for the advice!

For me I'm interested in the web development route (Front: HTML/CSS/Javascript) + (Back: Ruby/Python/PHP/Node.js)

and

software development (C++, Java for mobile development)

Based on my research, it looks like it's easier to get into the freelancer business with the web development route, vs the software development route. However, it looks like the software development route could be more lucrative. Either way I'm winning.

@zerozero - You didn't mention PHP for the backend. Was Python the substitute or did you omit for another reason? Or is PHP not for that? It seems like PHP is a highly desired language in web development.

*sidenote

I was having issues with my reseller acct at Hostgator and the tech dude knew less than me. He was literally reading from the Hostgator knowledge base on their site. He knew even less PHP then me.

Does anyone know if there are any web host call centers in the Atlanta area? I'm making a list of web hosts and verifying their call center locations, but I haven't found any so far. If he can get a job, I know I can get that job.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingDanz

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

How different is Python to PHP? I used to code in Raw JavaScript but JQuery is so much easier :ahh:... now i forgot Raw JavaScript :snoop: . You got any coding tips/software to remember syntax, string functions etc? I use Notepad++ currently..I don't think there is an option for quick reference of string functions and syntax.

Look at this..
<?php
$curl = curl_init();
curl_setopt ($curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://www.php.net");
curl_setopt($curl, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);

$result = curl_exec ($curl);
curl_close ($curl);
print $result;
?>
I'll learn this... then not use it for a few weeks because i'm working on something else and then i've forgotten it :ld:

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I'm a PHP developer too but I wouldn't recommend learning it for a beginner today. It's not really an elegant language... on the other hand if that's where your interest is then go for it. You can be a good programmer in any environment