Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Kufismack

In Beats We Trust
Daps
Reppin
Religion is dumb b
I'm reading up on OOP in javascript and boy what a mess. It's so much cleaner in Java and c#

OOP in Javascript doesn't even make sense. If you need OOP in js you probably should be doing something else, like PHP or .net. Even though PHP is just :scust:

semtex

:)
Daps
OOP is way easier in java and C#. I've been learning javascript for nearly 2 years and I still don't really have a full grasp on the prototypal system. I can use it if necessary, but I still need to spend more time to figure exactly what is going on. When you get to the keyword 'this', it will be even more maddening. Another quirk is that there is no block scope, only functional scope from ES5 down.

Typescript may be interesting though, since it has the more familiar class-based inheritance system and it compiles down to Javascript:
http://www.typescriptlang.org/Tutorial
I've been using "this" left and right at work in my javascript tasks. But that's different because it's an up and running product that has a pattern established for you to follow.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Client-side frameworks? I prefer to code from scratch as must as possible - Bootstrap, Foundation, etc are all bloated. They work well in team settings with different levels of experience - but that buttery, jank-free, 60fps, quick painting, etc come from knowing every line in your code. My Sass mixin game is good though.

The place I'm at is real developer friendly when it comes to stacks/frameworks on projects by letting the lead dev for that project decide (huge company so you're a project lead all the time). The client work is boring though - so I take the opportunity to just work on "process/devops" things. The last project I did was an SPA (a non-js fallback solution too) written in ES6 with Gulp, Babel, Libsass, Handlebars and a DigitalOcean Dokku qa/dev server for CI.

But the agile/scrum groupthink shyt and daily standups are just too much. I just want to code - not be in some ass hat's excel/word docs all day. I hate all the fukking calls too.

I'm a Linux (Arch Linux what up) hobbyist too, in addition to the web app stuff I do for a living. I'm researching/attempting to build my own Desktop (gtk based) and also trying to learn enough that I'll be able to start a Cross-Platform Native App framework like React Native that compiles into Native Apps for Cocoa, Universal Windows, GTK, QT, iOS and Android.

Very nice. I agree about the bloat in Bootstrap and the like. I use it mostly for quick and dirty comps. But even then there's nothing like writing your own front end/client side code.

And honestly with sublime and emmet there's nothing I can't do in vanilla HTML/CSS that can be accomplished in Bootstrap.

I hate AGILE too. But I can't live without my KANBAN board. The ADD in me needs it. Though we've adjusted it to fit our needs.

Oh and my SASS game is :mjcry:

Last edited:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
OOP in Javascript doesn't even make sense. If you need OOP in js you probably should be doing something else, like PHP or .net. Even though PHP is just :scust:

Javascript is object based. Everything in Javascript is an object. So all you need is good OOD.

Java devs (and other haters) will tell you that since Javascript doesn't support inheritance that it's not true OOP. BUT thats why JS has prototypes.

Not sure how much longer people are going to be able to deny the power of Javascript on the client and server side. Unlike Ruby it's here to stay.

semtex

:)
Daps
Javascript is object based. Everything in Javascript is an object. So all you need is good OOD.

Java devs (and other haters) will tell you that since Javascript doesn't support inheritance that it's not true OOP. BUT thats why JS has prototypes.

Not sure how much longer people are going to be able to deny the power of Javascript on the client and server side. Unlike Ruby it's here to stay.
Yeah it'll always be relevant and no matter the technology stack there will be javascript.

Kufismack

In Beats We Trust
Daps
Reppin
Religion is dumb b

You'd have to explain to me why you think Ruby is dying, because I see no evidence of that at ALL

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Been playing around with mongodb and now I'm messing with MySQL. Got to get this database stuff under control

I think I'll be sticking in the Javascript world for a while and I'll end up branching into C# later just to be able to use things like Unity and to have a general purpose programming language under my belt... But as of right now, there's so much you can do with Javascript that I need to focus completely on that.

Kufismack

In Beats We Trust
Daps
Reppin
Religion is dumb b
Been playing around with mongodb and now I'm messing with MySQL. Got to get this database stuff under control

I think I'll be sticking in the Javascript world for a while and I'll end up branching into C# later just to be able to use things like Unity and to have a general purpose programming language under my belt... But as of right now, there's so much you can do with Javascript that I need to focus completely on that.

Honestly i feel like if control the schemas without too much fluctuation it's better than relational

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Honestly i feel like if control the schemas without too much fluctuation it's better than relational

I love the simplicity of MongoDB so far and how it uses a Javascript/JSONish way of interacting with the database. Can't wait to be able to tie it into node and make something simple like a blog.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
You'd have to explain to me why you think Ruby is dying, because I see no evidence of that at ALL

I should have been more clear. The hype is dying off.

Then you have HUGE companies like Twitter, Groupon moving off of Ruby. SoundCloud slowly but surely headed that way (if they haven't already). AirBnB seems to be second guessing itself. Plus there are dozens more that I can't even remember off the top of my head that have had scaling problems.

Maybe it's the ability to get an MVP going in a few days with Rails that has these companies quickly outgrowing it. Maybe more thought needs to be put on the initial product.

Because as of right now as soon as an application is ready to "grow up" it moves away from Ruby (and the rails framework)

Kufismack

In Beats We Trust
Daps
Reppin
Religion is dumb b

Then you have HUGE companies like Twitter, Groupon moving off of Ruby. SoundCloud slowly but surely headed that way (if they haven't already). AirBnB seems to be second guessing itself. Plus there are dozens more that I can't even remember off the top of my head that have had scaling problems.

Maybe it's the ability to get an MVP going in a few days with Rails that has these companies quickly outgrowing it. Maybe more thought needs to be put on the initial product.

Because as of right now as soon as an application is ready to "grow up" it moves away from Ruby (and the rails framework)

Ohhh okay I got you.

Kufismack

In Beats We Trust
Daps
Reppin
Religion is dumb b
I love the simplicity of MongoDB so far and how it uses a Javascript/JSONish way of interacting with the database. Can't wait to be able to tie it into node and make something simple like a blog.

And the aggregation framework can pretty much give you the majority of forms that you would want your query results to be in.

The flaws in mongoDB come in the lack of joins but unless each document is HUGE. you can normally just fit everything you need in each document so there's no need to even join 2 tables(collections) together.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Which languages/back-end frameworks do you foresee in the future?

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I want to get to the point that regardless of the language needed for the platform's gui toolkit - that I'll code all my controllers/logic in JS and then bind to whatever native gui's I want. I need to start researching how to make multi-threaded apps in node and the best way to make bindings.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I want to get to the point that regardless of the language needed for the platform's gui toolkit - that I'll code all my controllers/logic in JS and then bind to whatever native gui's I want. I need to start researching how to make multi-threaded apps in node and the best way to make bindings.

http://jxcore.com/home/