Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
Not a scrum master, just a lowly QA who would like to be a Scrum Master/BA one day. How did you get into your spot?

QA plays a pretty large role on our Team so I wouldn't call it lowly. Prior to my current role I was a customer service supervisor. I worked closely with a Sr. Director who had close ties to an Associate Director who is Product Owner on our Scrum Team. I got a recommendation and was hired as a Sr. Business Analyst. Currently I'm being groomed for a Scrum Master role as a next step.

I pretty much got the role through connections but the connections were built through a lot of hard work and opportunism.

Arrogance.

King Novak of Melbourne, the First of His Name
Daps
Reppin
TSC/LToMD
QA plays a pretty large role on our Team so I wouldn't call it lowly. Prior to my current role I was a customer service supervisor. I worked closely with a Sr. Director who had close ties to an Associate Director who is Product Owner on our Scrum Team. I got a recommendation and was hired as a Sr. Business Analyst. Currently I'm being groomed for a Scrum Master role as a next step.

I pretty much got the role through connections but the connections were built through a lot of hard work and opportunism.

Honestly I don't consider QA lowly at all, there's just levels to it. Automation gets you paid better than manual. And my current position is an internship so I know there's better pay available once I drop the intern label. It just feels lowly on days when I have nothing to do because all my prep is done and the devs aren't ready for their work to be tested.

Your path sounds similar to a lot of BAs/Scrum masters I've met so far. I'm thinking about getting a scrum master cert on my own within the next year.

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
Honestly I don't consider QA lowly at all, there's just levels to it. Automation gets you paid better than manual. And my current position is an internship so I know there's better pay available once I drop the intern label. It just feels lowly on days when I have nothing to do because all my prep is done and the devs aren't ready for their work to be tested.

Your path sounds similar to a lot of BAs/Scrum masters I've met so far. I'm thinking about getting a scrum master cert on my own within the next year.

Yea. I think the dev team and the SAs are the workhorses in Scrum, at least on my team. Sounds good. Scrum Master is valuable. I'm not sure if I will get a cert yet but I am exploring it. SBA is valuable too.

semtex

:)
Daps
this QA on my team is fukkin annoying. I'm not hopping off what I'm doing to help u reproduce a defect dumb ass

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
QA get's really annoying in responsive web-design - most QAs don't realize that a responsive site can't match mockups exactly at every point and atleast at the company I'm at they aren't really involved in the project, so they miss a lot of design-development decisions.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
QA get's really annoying in responsive web-design - most QAs don't realize that a responsive site can't match mockups exactly at every point and atleast at the company I'm at they aren't really involved in the project, so they miss a lot of design-development decisions.

What is the best book on responsive web design? I'm going to get back on it once I finish shoring up on my CSS.

badvillain

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is the best book on responsive web design? I'm going to get back on it once I finish shoring up on my CSS.
I don't have a book - but some of the Jira tickets I have are like "Carousel is 400px in mockup but there's no set height in coded site".

Of course it doesn't have a set height, it's meant to grow with how the elements adjust to the available size inside the viewport.

It's more about understanding box-model and fluid css rules. As you gain more experience you should be able to do it with common-sense discretion.

Our QA team is located off-shores though - so there's a language and technology-familiarity gap

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
I don't have a book - but some of the Jira tickets I have are like "Carousel is 400px in mockup but there's no set height in coded site".

Of course it doesn't have a set height, it's meant to grow with how the elements adjust to the available size inside the viewport.

It's more about understanding box-model and fluid css rules. As you gain more experience you should be able to do it with common-sense discretion.

Our QA team is located off-shores though - so there's a language and technology-familiarity gap

Do they allow you to use frameworks or are you swimming in mediaqueries over there?

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Trying to get into functional programming. Been messing with Clojure for a bit. The whole thing has me :mindblown:
Its been taking me hours to write functions.
Still enjoyable though :ehh:

It takes a little while but sooner or later you'll have that "AHA!" moment and the light will come shining through and the ocean of fog will part.

That's the best feeling in the world.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Overall, I feel I have a solid grasp of JS, but I still need to perfect my understanding of prototypes, closures and 'this.'

I have some really good stuff on closures that finally helped me get. I'll share the links in here later.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I have some really good stuff on closures that finally helped me get. I'll share the links in here later.

You do a lot of Javascript programming as well?

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
It takes a little while but sooner or later you'll have that "AHA!" moment and the light will come shining through and the ocean of fog will part.

That's the best feeling in the world.
You do functional programming breh?

semtex

:)
Daps
lol that must be why all these websites look the same these days... bootstrap, possibly angular, etc. If they are drastically cutting down the time to make sites, then I guess you got to pare down as much as possible.

Overall, I feel I have a solid grasp of JS, but I still need to perfect my understanding of prototypes, closures and 'this.'

What technologies do you feel are necessary for the JS professional? I'll probably focus on 'base' things such as AJAX and jQuery in the near future and then pick up some framework. MongoDB and Node.js on the backend. I'll probably learn some SQL just to have that in my toolkit even though sql isn't often used in the JS stack.
I'm trying to step my javascript game way up. The job market for javascript is insane. My server side skills are tight already :myman: how do you practice javascript?