Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The key with all of this is you need to have a PASSION for this. If your goal is just to come in and make a ton of money, then you'll be deluding yourself. Programming is NOT easy. However, if you love to create, this is a ton of fun.

Today, I was delving mostly into C++, but I think I'm going to get into C soon by reading the B&R book. I think the importance of a procedural language like C is that it removes a lot of the OO cruft and lets you see exactly why you need OO in the first place. OO is NOT necessary to make a computer program, but it can be an aid in organizing your program. If you get taught OO as THE way, you can miss out on the fact that you are essentially giving your computer a sequence of instructions. C lets you get a much simpler model of what exactly you are doing when you are programming your computer, especially since it is low level. Java and C++ will let you see the advantages of OO when they are necessary.

Then, I think a language like Javascript can give you a taste of functional programming. It's all very interesting to me.

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
What IDE or editor do you guys use for java?
I used to use eclipse now I'm thinking of moving to something a little more lightweight.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If I just want to do a quick experiment, I use sublime text 3 and compile it myself.

If you want to do a more serious project, try intellij community edition, which is free. Netbeans is another option for Java as well.

Last edited:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
This book sounds like it's right up my alley.
www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Programmer-Introduction-Creative-ebook/dp/B008RQMDU4/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-3&qid=1422995247

I think initially, when you start programming, you'll be caught up learning a language's syntax. In other words, you're going to be focused on the grammar/vocabulary of a programming language. Once you get comfortable with the syntax of a language, then you need to start learning how to think in terms of software construction principles and creativity. How do I solve x problem or how should I approach solving. This is where problem-solving, study of programming priniciples, design patterns, algorithms, etc. can come in. I'm finally glad to be moving out of the syntax stage to where most of the syntax in a program is fairly easy to read to me, although there are still some things I need to get a hold of. The syntax is essentially akin to 'learning the rules of the English language, how to compose sentences, etc." The construction part is taking that knowledge of the language and then writing a novel, article or whatever you need to write.

Last edited:

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
Just dropped $300 on a year membership @ pluralsight.com , the site is worth it though.

Still $300:sadbron:

For that much it better be lol

I did a trail run on Treehouse and never used it, then a few days ago the 50 dollar(yes brehs 50) monthly fee kicked in and I was pissed off

So I was like "if i'm paying it it I might as well see how it is" and i'm pissed at myself for not using it sooner, it's like school and it shyts all over codecademy. Videos,examples,a teacher that's not from the middle east so I can properly understand what he's saying...

What's funny is that today I was going to skip it and I get an email that has the headline "Keep up the good work" which made me feel bad and made me study for an hour lol

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
For that much it better be lol

I did a trail run on Treehouse and never used it, then a few days ago the 50 dollar(yes brehs 50) monthly fee kicked in and I was pissed off

So I was like "if i'm paying it it I might as well see how it is" and i'm pissed at myself for not using it sooner, it's like school and it shyts all over codecademy. Videos,examples,a teacher that's not from the middle east so I can properly understand what he's saying...

What's funny is that today I was going to skip it and I get an email that has the headline "Keep up the good work" which made me feel bad and made me study for an hour lol
I was using Treehouse for a couple months last year, then some shyt came up and I haven't touched it in a while. It really depends on what you're interested in when it comes to the quality. The HTML/CSS courses were REALLY good. The Javascript ones I took were awful. I did a few of the Ruby ones and they weren't too bad, but the HTML/CSS ones were head and shoulders above everything I tried on that site.

ryda518

Randy Orton=Legend Killer
Daps
Reppin
bx all day
I was using Treehouse for a couple months last year, then some shyt came up and I haven't touched it in a while. It really depends on what you're interested in when it comes to the quality. The HTML/CSS courses were REALLY good. The Javascript ones I took were awful. I did a few of the Ruby ones and they weren't too bad, but the HTML/CSS ones were head and shoulders above everything I tried on that site.

really?

good then I know when to cancel it lol

AwkwardHand

Hand in awkward places
Daps
Reppin
DUUUVALLL
anybody up on that Microsoft virtual academy? It's got some pretty solid lessons, I did the Build a Web App with flask and Python lesson, the people kinda talk a bit long-winded but it's pretty good. It's free too.

I just got hit up by a recruiter for a python/perl development job, I'm thinking about going for it and just count that as an internship because if I can get the internship knocked out then that's one less semester I gotta do (the degree program I'm on has the whole last semester an internship anyway).

I just got the Cracking the Coding interview book, I heard it's good for interviews and such. if anybody wants the book too let me know. I also good a big ass book on Python which really helped me get a good grasp on Python last year, it's like 3,000 pages LOL.

Type Username Here

Not a new member
Daps
Reppin
humans
I just got the Cracking the Coding interview book, I heard it's good for interviews and such.

Must own book along with the programming bible:

Clrs3.jpeg

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I know I should be focusing on web dev, but lately I can't stop reading about C++. I find that C++ books are better written than most Javascript books. I'm learning a ton that apply even to Javascript, such as stuff about testing. I'm guessing this is true because you simply have to know more to do anything in C++.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Anybody in here work in Cybersecurity? I found this Coursera.org Cybersecurity certificate program that looks interesting https://www.coursera.org/specialization/cybersecurity/7?utm_medium=listingPage. I have kind of dropped the ball on my programming studying, but wanted to get some input from people with experience. Would this program basically be Greek to someone who has just learned the basics of Javascript/CSS/HTML, etc from Treehouse and Code School? I know Javascript isn't one of the "managed" languages it recommends having knowledge in, but it still peaks my interest.