Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Just dropped $300 on a year membership @ pluralsight.com , the site is worth it though.

Still $300:sadbron:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
PHP is so easy to learn and functional out the box. I wish I had started earlier. Much easier to learn than node.js

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How long should a breh study this java before taking the cert exam? A couple months?

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Whats going on fellas, I been lurking in the background for a while but I'm actually happy to see discussion of such being brought to the forefront.

For those who are interested in programming in Java. I have a excellent website that is from a University in Finland. They offer free Java programming 101/102 that coincide with any major public/private school in the states. Its free and there is also live support that is at your disposal. There is no deadline, and everything is at your own pace. I am willing to help where I can if you have any questions(which you will) regarding any exercises. There is also a IRC channel and google group where you can ask questions. Please be advise these are real TAs who speak Finnish && || English and there is a time zone difference.

To start:
http://mooc.cs.helsinki.fi/programming-part1

WEEK 1
  • input
  • printing on screen
  • conditional statements
WEEK 2
  • loops
  • basics of methods
WEEK 3
  • methods
  • ArrayList data structure
WEEK 4
  • basics of objects
WEEK 5
  • more on objects
WEEK 6
  • tables
  • sorting
  • searching
Anybody doing this or trying ot learn java ?
I'm at the last exercices of week 2 and so far it's cool. I understand everything (having a little knowledge in C and PHP helps I guess) and the progression is pretty well balanced IMO. If anybody is looking to learn java, I think it's a very nice course.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
How long should a breh study this java before taking the cert exam? A couple months?

What are you planning to do with the language? Certs don't hold that much weight in programming like IT. Make a program.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So I can't get a job with this?

You can get a job if you thoroughly know Java and how to make stuff with it. You probably won't get one if you just pass some sort of memorization based exam on language features though.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can get a job if you thoroughly know Java and how to make stuff with it. You probably won't get one if you just pass some sort of memorization based exam on language features though.

Sound very pessimistic. Do people learn java not to write programs. I'm confused. Why would I not being trying to thoroughly learn something.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Sound very pessimistic. Do people learn java not to write programs. I'm confused. Why would I not being trying to thoroughly learn something.

What is pessimistic about what I said? Certificates matter in IT, aka networking and other such similar things. They DON'T matter much in programming. Passing a multiple choice test shows you may know the syntax of a language fairly well, but it doesn't necessarily show you can use the language to produce a real project, especially given certain time-limits.

Actual projects in your portfolio show how familiar you are with a language and that you can actually use that language for a functional purpose. Like I said before, don't waste your time trying to get a certificate. You can if you want to, but what's really going to show you know what you are doing is creating actual projects.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/do-certifications-matter/

Give yourself much longer than 2 months.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is pessimistic about what I said? Certificates matter in IT, aka networking and other such similar things. They DON'T matter much in programming. Passing a multiple choice test shows you may know the syntax of a language fairly well, but it doesn't necessarily show you can use the language to produce a real project, especially given certain time-limits.

Actual projects in your portfolio show how familiar you are with a language and that you can actually use that language for a functional purpose. Like I said before, don't waste your time trying to get a certificate. You can if you want to, but what's really going to show you know what you are doing is creating actual projects.

http://blog.codinghorror.com/do-certifications-matter/

Give yourself much longer than 2 months.

So don't even get certified just learn it and make my own programs?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
So don't even get certified just learn it and make my own programs?
Start a blog to put your thoughts out there and allow yourself to have a 'presence' on the web, which will allow you to be contacted. Put up your various observations about programming on there, describe what programs you've done or ones you're currently making, etc.

Programming is kind of like art in that your "portfolio" of work matters a lot. They want to see what you've done, so that's something to focus on. You can get a cert or whatever as cherry on the top, but it's all about what you can do and your ability to demonstrate that.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Anybody know of any good video recording software for YouTube? Think I'm going to start a devblog of my fps game..

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Start a blog to put your thoughts out there and allow yourself to have a 'presence' on the web, which will allow you to be contacted. Put up your various observations about programming on there, describe what programs you've done or ones you're currently making, etc.

Programming is kind of like art in that your "portfolio" of work matters a lot. They want to see what you've done, so that's something to focus on. You can get a cert or whatever as cherry on the top, but it's all about what you can do and your ability to demonstrate that.

Okay I feel you. I originally wanted to learn to code because I wanted to make an application for my business I'm starting and I didn't want to pay anyone to do it for me and it seems interesting. But, I was thinking I might parlay this into a job. I was just wondering when I should get certified. Pretty much was just looking to get a gauge on how long it would take. But, if getting certified doesn't matter on an app and it's all about your work then I'll skip that noise.