Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
Anybody know of any good video recording software for YouTube? Think I'm going to start a devblog of my fps game..
Camtasia always been good to me. But if your looking at a game recorder, you could specifically use PlayClaw.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Okay I feel you. I originally wanted to learn to code because I wanted to make an application for my business I'm starting and I didn't want to pay anyone to do it for me and it seems interesting. But, I was thinking I might parlay this into a job. I was just wondering when I should get certified. Pretty much was just looking to get a gauge on how long it would take. But, if getting certified doesn't matter on an app and it's all about your work then I'll skip that noise.

A language cert? No one cares about that, its a way for someone to make money. Learn Hadoop instead and use it to implement something.

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
What kind of half assed suggestion is this. Breh you can't suggest something and not explain anything. Wtf.

In your development career this is the first of many decisions no one can make for you.

If youre looking for a project suggestion,

create an app that displays a picture of people, decriptiom and name. Like this:
(pic) (name) (decription)

in rows and columns. The order will be randomized. when the user clicks on the name, description, and picture corresponding to one person remove all three and slide up every icon below the removed ones one column.

A few things youll learn/do

shuffling (randomizing) the order of images, names and descriptions

• measuring and reporting the time it takes for a player to make all the matches
• removing matches from the board once they’ve been made
• event handlers for the JLabel, JButton and JTextArea objects to allow the
player to pick one of each kind for a match

Youll need to use the event handler interface, the java swing package, and a data structures like an ArrayList or Linked list. IMO the linked list is a lot better here, ill let you figure why for yourself. Then, try to do it using advanced data structures like binary trees, then red black trees.

Then ill give you a hadoop problem to try. If youre already too advanced for this ill let you know and give you a hadoop project to try.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In your development career this is the first of many decisions no one can make for you.

If youre looking for a project suggestion,

create an app that displays a picture of people, decriptiom and name. Like this:
(pic) (name) (decription)

in rows and columns. The order will be randomized. when the user clicks on the name, description, and picture corresponding to one person remove all three and slide up every icon below the removed ones one column.

A few things youll learn/do

shuffling (randomizing) the order of images, names and descriptions

• measuring and reporting the time it takes for a player to make all the matches
• removing matches from the board once they’ve been made
• event handlers for the JLabel, JButton and JTextArea objects to allow the
player to pick one of each kind for a match

Youll need to use the event handler interface, the java swing package, and a data structures like an ArrayList or Linked list. IMO the linked list is a lot better here, ill let you figure why for yourself. Then, try to do it using advanced data structures like binary trees, then red black trees.

Then ill give you a hadoop problem to try. If youre already too advanced for this ill let you know and give you a hadoop project to try.

Okay I just started reading this java book a week ago. Is that a good place to start?

Richard Wright

Living Legend
Daps
Okay I just started reading this java book a week ago. Is that a good place to start?

Which one? You can work on that project with almost no experience. I think learning discrete math and finite automata is the best start. Honestly you can just follow the java tutorials and learn just as much as from a book.

I think the best way to start as a new programmer with java as a first language is to follow this: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

Then pick up a book called Data Structures and the Java Collections framework.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which one? You can work on that project with almost no experience. I think learning discrete math and finite automata is the best start. Honestly you can just follow the java tutorials and learn just as much as from a book.

I think the best way to start as a new programmer with java as a first language is to follow this: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

Then pick up a book called Data Structures and the Java Collections framework.

Java se 7 programmer. And good looks, breh. Much needed info.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Java is a good start because it abstracts shyt like pointers for you. When you switch to c/c++ youll see whats really going on :ohhh:. The world of computer languages is so beautiful :whoo:

It doesn't seem like it could ever get boring. I just wanna see what I can create with this knowledge. I'm a musician/artist so I love creating shyt.