Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
For the life of me, I'll never understand how the crypto scammers managed to rebrand the linked list data structure as "bLoCK CHaIn!" and convinced the equity firms to give them all their money. :mjlol:

I pray that I one day encounter a banker naive enough to throw a billy at me for simple rebranding. I'll probably rebrand binary search trees as "trees of life" and use them to represent some boring thing like mortgage backed securities :pachaha:

I can see the money flowing now :wow:

Brother, we're in tech. We CAN do this. Did you see Atlanta s3?

There was this episode when Earn was at some rich white guy's house and the white dude was just throwing money at this young artist brotha, and Earn was like :dahell:

Till the brotha told him "don't hate, you can do it too :what: they throwing away money over here"

All we gotta do is find a rich person that has an idea and whether we believe it is a good idea or not doesn't matter. Just give them what they want. Take all the money they want to throw at us :wow:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
For the life of me, I'll never understand how the crypto scammers managed to rebrand the linked list data structure as "bLoCK CHaIn!" and convinced the equity firms to give them all their money. :mjlol:

it's the key signatures and who writes them not just the structure :hubie:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Just picked up a side project and took the time to try using FastAPI, instead of the Django backend I inherited for another project. Its interesting. It seems to be very object oriented, at least based on the cookiecutter template I used. Man, am I happy this person put it all in a docker container. I love these set ups. Im partnered with someone on the more marketing side of things, so I don't have to wear too many hats. Just do this backend work, I'll do a little front end work, but the design and the fact that Framer X (what he's using to design the front end) can generate scaffolding for reactjs code allow me to just worry about the logic.

But from doing projects for people, the 2 things I think I'd say money should be spent on is product and marketing. If you can cover either of those with your own or partner's talents, than bootstrapping is viable. I'm not successful with any of my projects, but just breaking down being in this space on the side, a good product is good for stickiness, and good marketing is good for bringing people around. Both are equally important. The worse, as an engineer, is building a product but then you can't get anyone on it.

Hopefully, this is a quick project that we can get out, make money on, and just have very minor tweaks

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
RIP to a legend.

damn I aint know he died. I've been using vim exclusively as a text editor for many years now and it sure has improved my productivity in the linux ecosystem and allowed me to be more fluent when using the terminal especially because there are many tools with vim keybindings out there. I wonder who is gonna take over the project given that he was the main contributor for new features. We might see it put to rest in the next few years and all development efforts will be focused on neovim from there on.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Does anybody know if The Odin Project is worth going through? I know HTML and CSS, but a bit rusty in Java.

After reading your post, the answer is yes. Java is not JavaScript. And no, we don't believe that was a typo. :ufdup:

But more importantly, going through the project won't hurt or waste time. It will only strengthen your skills.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
After reading your post, the answer is yes. Java is not JavaScript. And no, we don't believe that was a typo. :ufdup:

But more importantly, going through the project won't hurt or waste time. It will only strengthen your skills.
lmao, long day 😅 but yeah def going to check it out since I heard good things about it. I will prob read through the HTML and CSS and test out stuff if not familiar, but will spend more time on JS

Daps
Does anybody know if The Odin Project is worth going through? I know HTML and CSS, but a bit rusty in Java.

Yep. Odin is how I learned. I got my first real position in the industry this year.

Odin gave me an important foundation, and empowered me to be able to change careers.

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
Brehs I got a call from a recruiter today about a job and it sounded like the most boring shyt. I knew I would hate that shyt and my current job is going great and I'm working with good people. I really feel like you gotta like the product you are working on and be interested in it or you'll burnout or hate logging in to work. Whether the pay good or not