Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
Ah, I meant just something not front end/back end/full stack. I've done all three professionally the last five years and currently do full stack right now. Mass majority of jobs I see is basically crud.

I was thinking more like kernel or embedded but they don't got the same insane pay rates or same amount of benefits and there are far less jobs available. The deeper you go down the embedded road the more you get away from software and start getting into electrical engineering territory as well and the industry practices start getting more old-fashioned. I think one of the only other options is machine learning/data science.

I didn't know this. I want to dabble in this one day but I didn't know it pays less. You would think it would pay more. :ehh:

Anyway, doesn't matter. I would never want to do it for someone else's company. I want to do it for my own.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think I'm gonna have to take a business trip to India. :francis:

I wanna cry. I don't wanna go. Why can't tech supplies be manufactured in Medellin or Rio? :mjcry:

I need a bulk purchase of embedded systems circuitry and I have zero faith that the niche firm oversea(s) which has them , will get my parts to me. Their website doesn't even have an option for US card vendors or regions. And I'll be damned if I'm wiring thousands to India , sight-unseen. :snoop:

I suppose the bright side of such a niche operation is that I could negotiate a bulk rate of supplies, which I probably couldn't do with Nvidia or TSMC. :ehh:

Daps

I wanna cry. I don't wanna go. Why can't tech supplies be manufactured in Medellin or Rio? :mjcry:

I need a bulk purchase of embedded systems circuitry and I have zero faith that the niche firm oversea(s) which has them , will get my parts to me. Their website doesn't even have an option for US card vendors or regions. And I'll be damned if I'm wiring thousands to India , sight-unseen. :snoop:

I suppose the bright side of such a niche operation is that I could negotiate a bulk rate of supplies, which I probably couldn't do with Nvidia or TSMC. :ehh:

Bro, can I ask what type of projects you're planning?

Do you own your own company?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

smells-bad-philip-blake.gif

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Bro, can I ask what type of projects you're planning?

Do you own your own company?

Im working with mechanical drones and automated systems primarily for comercial applications(marketing+corporate events) and direct-to-consumer entertainment displays. Its a Mix of high level + lowlevel programming in C(sensors +architecture) and Python ( for fine control of swarming individual units).

The firm which is located in mumbai’s outskirts and is providing ranging sensors to prevent collisions between drones in an array. Im also sourcing flight controller motherboards from them.

The operation is mine, but admittedly im not doing this full time. After expenses, i only net 40% of my normal working salary with this venture, so i obviosuly cant make the hop to do it full time. I do have employees, however they primarily handle transport , setup, and mid-use recharging of individual units. With a little less than 100 drones in a typical array, i could never coordinate that myself.:whew:

Daps
Im working with mechanical drones and automated systems primarily for comercial applications(marketing+corporate events) and direct-to-consumer entertainment displays. Its a Mix of high level + lowlevel programming in C(sensors +architecture) and Python ( for fine control of swarming individual units).

The firm which is located in mumbai’s outskirts and is providing ranging sensors to prevent collisions between drones in an array. Im also sourcing flight controller motherboards from them.

The operation is mine, but admittedly im not doing this full time. After expenses, i only net 40% of my normal working salary with this venture, so i obviosuly cant make the hop to do it full time. I do have employees, however they primarily handle transport , setup, and mid-use recharging of individual units. With a little less than 100 drones in a typical array, i could never coordinate that myself.:whew:

Breh, can I jump in your dm's about this? I'm trying to get into this space too.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Breh, can I jump in your dm's about this? I'm trying to get into this space too.
Sure, i'll offer whatever advice I can offer, but do be aware that I started this venture independently, so I wouldn't be the best guy to help you get into the embedded side of a corporate interest or robotics side of a corporate interest .

My normal day gig isn't even embedded, although it does use C due to latency requirements

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Just started adding pytest cases to my project. I keep forgetting how easy it is to set these things up. Even my laziness isn't an excuse not to start a project with this. I've been making updates to stuff and finding the bugs it creates late, so hopefully this will help keep all that in line before deployments

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Chatgpt feels like cheating....

I've been using it more and more lately and I feel a bit guilty about it lol. Like even the variable and method names aren't my own creation and it just feels...wrong.